• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guess who is on the verge of a winning record?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In games started by Alex Smith, the 49ers are 34-34. It seems kind of unfair to credit him a loss for 2007 when he threw one pass before the Seahawks guy destroyed his shoulder but... oh well he started the game.

BTW, he is also up to a 72:58, TD to INT ratio and 29 of those TDs are to VD.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shmolly! We need to get that ratio to roughly 200:80. :madgrin:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200:80, you're just talkin crazy

morning-awesomeness-61.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict Alex will start and win this Sunday, then Kaepernick will take over - Harbaugh will claim he was right that Alex Smith is a winning quarterback. ;)

I was mad at the Arizona loss last year because I knew it would keep him as a losing QB for the off-season. Not too concerned about it because I know it doesn't have much to do with the future and we can't change the past. But just like a 299 yard game is not a 300 yarder, 32-34, despite the Seattle one passer and Carolina one-half, is a losing record. I want him to finish this year with a 48-34 record in the regular season and a 4-1 playoff record (no injuries and a playoff bye). Then, a 100-62 TD/INT ratio. One can dream, right? (If I had unlimited wishes, that number would be 120-58. :) I wouldn't use an highly limited wish list for football.)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In games started by Alex Smith, the 49ers are 34-34. It seems kind of unfair to credit him a loss for 2007 when he threw one pass before the Seahawks guy destroyed his shoulder but... oh well he started the game.

Good for Smith. I'd put him in the top half of NFC QBs I believe. I can remember when he was dead last.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans used to have team win-loss as the greatest indicator of a QB's ability. Always compared him to Shaun Hill's winning ratio. Remember Shaun Hill? So once the team started winning, the win-loss ratio is hardly mentioned anymore. When they are losing its the QB's fault, when they are winning its the team effort. They move onto "Smith runs around too much", and then "Smith cant throw deep", and then, "Smith cant throw deep to the sideline". Never run out of faults to pick on. Even when Alex Smith improves, the improvement is due to better coaching, better playcalling, better offensive line, better receivers. What will be the next pathetic criticism the fans come up with.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans used to have team win-loss as the greatest indicator of a QB's ability. Always compared him to Shaun Hill's winning ratio. Remember Shaun Hill? So once the team started winning, the win-loss ratio is hardly mentioned anymore. When they are losing its the QB's fault, when they are winning its the team effort. They move onto "Smith runs around too much", and then "Smith cant throw deep", and then, "Smith cant throw deep to the sideline". Never run out of faults to pick on. Even when Alex Smith improves, the improvement is due to better coaching, better playcalling, better offensive line, better receivers. What will be the next pathetic criticism the fans come up with.

he's far from the perfect qb, but we're starting to see what he's capable of. if he continues to play like he is now, the criticism will phase out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I remember the ridiculous Alex VS Hill arguements. Those were great.

Not as good as the Alex Smith VS Troy Smith ones though. After 2 games, people were coining Troy Smith the next franchise QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not talking about those on this board, but a lot of people have a lot of "stake" in what they said about Smith before, fans and critics alike. They couldn't possibly be wrong, so they change what they meant by their criticism, by changing the description. There's just something wrong with him. Everybody has their flaws, but you can minimize or exaggerate the deficiencies depending on what you want your conclusion to be. (This can also serve to make Smith better than he is by doing the reverse.) Alex isn't good enough to shut everyone up yet like Montana. Montana, relatively speaking, had his weaknesses too, but it didn't matter because everything else was so good.

Not that Smith's anywhere near perfect or gunslinger, but I think people became quite proud of themselves coming up with the "game manager" label. They got quite confident in that condescending compliment. It was the perfect, "no, I'm not saying you don't deserve the accomplishments" without giving him much credit. They loved the Trent Dilfer comparison, despite most of Alex's stats and intangibles were better. Not saying he deserves the most credit, either. We didn't win because of Alex Smith, but he was more of a significant factor in our success than Dilfer, imo, though Dilfer's team had a better punt returner, I mean, better third down conversion rate.

If we win a few Superbowls with him, I don't think that shuts the criticism down, but what type of QB he is will be considered higher than it is now, as it should be. We still get questions about Eli Manning. Until Matt Ryan wins in the postseason, his stats mean nothing. If 2011 were his rookie or sophomore year, the evaluation of this year and the future would be different, even if played with the same stats, etc. Those 6 years has an effect on Smith's perception and is relevant, whether that has doomed him or should doom him to this "everybody but him ceiling" is to be seen. He hasn't won yet, so I won't make up an answer to that. I'd like to look at where he is now, not looking at the past or extrapolating to the future, in evaluating him. Defense should get their credit, of course, but they still need someone to make big plays like the Saints game (yes, the offense's first three quarters put them in that position). Some, if not most, of the criticism that is worth a damn was warranted. The worthless drivel should never concern even the biggest of Alex Smith fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CribNotes for above post: The criticism that is worth a damn was warranted. The worthless drivel should never concern even the biggest of Alex Smith fans. Good for Alex. Let's go get number 6!

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you make some good observations. Eli will always be considered as flawed, but after defeating Brady twice I doubt it matters. I think if the coaching had not tried to be so cute with the WRs last season and cut down the options they had in the passing game, the team might have made the SB. The fans talk about him like he was incapable of learning, but he is still there starting and annoying them by still being the QB.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been butt-hurt for years because I wanted Rodgers over Alex in the draft, but I'm very happy Alex is playing the way he is.

For having a record that went south to the point of being somewhere around 17-33 (too lazy to check), Alex's work ethic finally has a chance to show through.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So Alex is playing better and he now has no flaws that can be discussed? His improvement is due completely to Alex Smith. Coaching and personnel changes have no impact on his improvement?

Or are we just not supposed to discuss such things?

Or are you of the believe that Jim Harbaugh and Mike Singletary are equals and Harbaugh doesn't deserve some credit for Smith's improvement?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Alex is playing better and he now has no flaws that can be discussed? His improvement is due completely to Alex Smith. Coaching and personnel changes have no impact on his improvement?

Or are we just not supposed to discuss such things?

Or are you of the believe that Jim Harbaugh and Mike Singletary are equals and Harbaugh doesn't deserve some credit for Smith's improvement?

I don't know Geraint that well, but I doubt he was saying that. You have been objective over the years, I think he's talking about those who haven't been. (Look at his examples, he uses absolutes like "can't" versus "doesn't" to illustrate the criticisms) Those who have their stake in it, however lame that is. There as some on both sides. I don't find many on this board like that. Even if he were talking generally about all fans, I doubt he thinks that we can't discuss these things or that coaches had no positive/negative effect on Alex. I think he's talking about the things that people say he can't do and then he does or that he finds ways to succeed despite them. I suppose he may speak for himself later on what he meant.

Alex had his flaws, has his flaws, and will have his flaws. I think we all agree on that. Just as coaches have had an effect negatively in the past, they have postive effects, too. Even Nolan and Singletary had their positives and Harbaugh may be too conservative at times (not saying he is, just an illustration that coaches have effects both positive and negative on the results). We all know that Alex has made coaches look better and worse in different aspects. He has his blame.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooo, Smith is now 36-35 as a starter. First time he's ever been over .500. I guess he was holding out so that he could do it with a near perfect game. 303 yards, 3 TDs, 156.2 Rating

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know Geraint that well, but I doubt he was saying that. You have been objective over the years, I think he's talking about those who haven't been. (Look at his examples, he uses absolutes like "can't" versus "doesn't" to illustrate the criticisms) Those who have their stake in it, however lame that is. There as some on both sides. I don't find many on this board like that. Even if he were talking generally about all fans, I doubt he thinks that we can't discuss these things or that coaches had no positive/negative effect on Alex. I think he's talking about the things that people say he can't do and then he does or that he finds ways to succeed despite them. I suppose he may speak for himself later on what he meant.

Alex had his flaws, has his flaws, and will have his flaws. I think we all agree on that. Just as coaches have had an effect negatively in the past, they have postive effects, too. Even Nolan and Singletary had their positives and Harbaugh may be too conservative at times (not saying he is, just an illustration that coaches have effects both positive and negative on the results). We all know that Alex has made coaches look better and worse in different aspects. He has his blame.

He essentially trolls this board. He will almost assuredly show up today with a post sarcastically bashing Smith to take a passive aggressive shot at those who are and have been critical of Smith (such as clyde).

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nate Davis Nate Davis

I remember the ridiculous Alex VS Hill arguements. Those were great.

Not as good as the Alex Smith VS Troy Smith ones though. After 2 games, people were coining Troy Smith the next franchise QB.

Hahaha remember those Nate Davis pre-season chants

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep and if you ask Nolan he should have finished it too!