• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Cosell: 49ers are pretenders

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its strange, for someone that supposedly spends so much time watching and analyzing games, Cosell's football opinions tend to be very shallow, and are basically conventional wisdom repackaged into football-speak. In fact, I'd say his #1 skill, if you can call it that, is command of NFL "insider" lingo, the words guys use when they want to sound smart and connected, like "route concepts". Short and sweet? Total poser trading on his uncle's name.

His takes on the Niners have been almost embarrassingly poor all year, he never gave them a chance to get anywhere near where they are now. He would basically rip them, then after they win his next appearance would be "I was surprised that they could do (this or that)". His opinions really aren't worth much more than anyone else's around here, which is pretty bad because unlike us he watches all-22 film and apparently spends a disproportionate amount of time studying the stuff.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its strange, for someone that supposedly spends so much time watching and analyzing games, Cosell's football opinions tend to be very shallow, and are basically conventional wisdom repackaged into football-speak. In fact, I'd say his #1 skill, if you can call it that, is command of NFL "insider" lingo, the words guys use when they want to sound smart and connected, like "route concepts". Short and sweet? Total poser trading on his uncle's name.

His takes on the Niners have been almost embarrassingly poor all year, he never gave them a chance to get anywhere near where they are now. He would basically rip them, then after they win his next appearance would be "I was surprised that they could do (this or that)". His opinions really aren't worth much more than anyone else's around here, which is pretty bad because unlike us he watches all-22 film and apparently spends a disproportionate amount of time studying the stuff.

didn't he say we likely have the best front 7 in the NFL? think he said it even before the halfway point of the season?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Could be....I didn't hear all his shows on KNBR. And no doubt after he started getting on my nerves I might have started tuning him out a bit. But he does bug me for sure.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think we pressure the QB the way KC does. They get a great push up the middle and crush the pocket. The Niners don't do that. I think both the Saints and Packers have too much speed for the 49ers and I think our slow, methodical approach on offense will not keep up with either of those teams.

With Brees, however, you get a couple of turnovers per game but I always think that there is at least a little bit of luck needed where turnovers are concerned. We'll need turnovers and that is why I say we'll need some luck to beat either of those teams.

This matchup reminds me so much of the battles in the playoffs the 49ers had with the Giants in the 80s. I was always very confident that the Niners would win because I knew their offense was too much for the Giants if they didn't get lucky and get turnovers.

Recent history suggests that Saints aren't anywhere near team they are on grass as they are in a dome and we'll easily be the best defense they've faced all year on grass. And like Crim said we'll likely be in nickel most of the time which will let the Smiths wreck havoc on the Saint's offensive line.

We matched up well with them and almost beat them last year and granted they are better this year but so are we so the Saints don't actually scare me. That doesn't mean I don't think the Saint's can't or won't win but I think we are very capable of beating them.

The only team that really scares me is the Packers. Their defense is a bit weak but they do get a lot of turnovers and unlike the Saints the Packers can score big on you on any field. I think we can beat them but it's a team we would really need to play on a high level throughout the game to get them.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Recent history suggests that Saints aren't anywhere near team they are on grass as they are in a dome and we'll easily be the best defense they've faced all year on grass. And like Crim said we'll likely be in nickel most of the time which will let the Smiths wreck havoc on the Saint's offensive line.

We matched up well with them and almost beat them last year and granted they are better this year but so are we so the Saints don't actually scare me. That doesn't mean I don't think the Saint's can't or won't win but I think we are very capable of beating them.

The only team that really scares me is the Packers. Their defense is a bit weak but they do get a lot of turnovers and unlike the Saints the Packers can score big on you on any field. I think we can beat them but it's a team we would really need to play on a high level throughout the game to get them.

That's OK, I'm scared enough for both of us. Doesn't mean I don't think we have a shot in this game. Every advantage you can think of is going the 49ers way, from being rested, to being at home, to the Saints having to travel cross country, to playing on grass. Everything is in the Niners' favor except the biggest one and that is the huge advantage the Saints have in talent.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's OK, I'm scared enough for both of us. Doesn't mean I don't think we have a shot in this game. Every advantage you can think of is going the 49ers way, from being rested, to being at home, to the Saints having to travel cross country, to playing on grass. Everything is in the Niners' favor except the biggest one and that is the huge advantage the Saints have in talent.

They have more talent on offense in most positions but we have the talent on defense in pretty much all of them. Your take?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
[/B]

They have more talent on offense in most positions but we have the talent on defense in pretty much all of them. Your take?

I think a great defense can be manipulated much easier by a great offense than a great offense can be manipulated by a great defense just simply by the rules that have been implemented over the past several years. Having said that though I think the Saints have one of the best offenses in recent memory but I think the 49er defense is just very good; not exceptional.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a great defense can be manipulated much easier by a great offense than a great offense can be manipulated by a great defense just simply by the rules that have been implemented over the past several years. Having said that though I think the Saints have one of the best offenses in recent memory but I think the 49er defense is just very good; not exceptional.

No... the D is fucking exceptional. No rushing TDs until the end, 229 total points against, creates turnovers, doesn't generally give up big plays.

Only 5 other teams have given up less points this century I believe (so that's like 5 out of something like 384 teams this century)...

If that isn't exceptional then that word should be removed from the dictionary.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Only 5 other teams have given up less points this century I believe (so that's like 5 out of something like 384 teams this century)...

Least points conceded in a season, 2000-2011
165 - '00 Ravens
191 - '00 Titans
196 - '02 Buccaneers
201 - '06 Ravens
202 - '05 Bears
203 - '01 Bears
208 - '01 Eagles
212 - '01 Steelers
223 - '08 Steelers
226 - '00 Dolphins
227 - '11 Steelers
229 - '11 49ers

Technically, this century started in 2001, but I've included the 3 teams from 2000.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Least points conceded in a season, 2000-2011
165 - '00 Ravens
191 - '00 Titans
196 - '02 Buccaneers
201 - '06 Ravens
202 - '05 Bears
203 - '01 Bears
208 - '01 Eagles
212 - '01 Steelers
223 - '08 Steelers
226 - '00 Dolphins
227 - '11 Steelers
229 - '11 49ers

Technically, this century started in 2001, but I've included the 3 teams from 2000.

I didn't realize the Steelers Defense allowed less points than we did this year. Everyone keeps talking about how old they are, but that's crap.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't realize the Steelers Defense allowed less points than we did this year. Everyone keeps talking about how old they are, but that's crap.

Yeah, we gave away being 1st in the league in scoring defense against the team that was last in the league in scoring...Grrr!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"manipulated" just doesn't read right?

the key here are the rule changes and yes, can't deny its favored the offense. the trend is clearly toward passing offenses, and we see many spread formations whether called 'spread' or not.

if a QB is 'hot' that day, then yeah, a great defense can't stop it. a well timed, accurate pass can't be defended.