• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Cosell: 49ers are pretenders

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The notion we're pretenders is laughable. We went 13-3 with our 3 loses being close to decent teams.

I think we're a pretty good team just not quite in that category of elite like a Green Bay is.

I think Cosell and other analysts are putting way too much emphasis on the QB position. Don't get me wrong it's important but football is still a team sport and you have to consider other factors in whether a team wins or loses. Our offense is built around having a balance of running the ball and passing the ball and strong defense. It's not as flashy as a Green Bay or Saints offense but we didn't accidentally or luck our way to 13-3.

And the notion that we don't "scare" anyone is just analyst speak. We're one of the most physical teams on both sides of the ball and I guarantee no team is looking forward to having to play us.

Being a "not scary" team comes with not having a high powered offense. Keep in mind, only a handful of analysts understand the offensively dominate teams and even fewer understand defensively dominate teams, like us

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just for the record... I don't want to be negetive, but let's just say it would be a pleasant surprise if the Niners beat the Saints. JMHO.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion we're pretenders is laughable. We went 13-3 with our 3 loses being close to decent teams.

I think we're a pretty good team just not quite in that category of elite like a Green Bay is.
I think Cosell and other analysts are putting way too much emphasis on the QB position. Don't get me wrong it's important but football is still a team sport and you have to consider other factors in whether a team wins or loses. Our offense is built around having a balance of running the ball and passing the ball and strong defense. It's not as flashy as a Green Bay or Saints offense but we didn't accidentally or luck our way to 13-3.

And the notion that we don't "scare" anyone is just analyst speak. We're one of the most physical teams on both sides of the ball and I guarantee no team is looking forward to having to play us.

I don't think they are that elite. I'll be almost shocked if they make it out of the divisionals. That defense is atrocious. Mark it down, Green Bay eliminated on Jan. 15 to the shock of most.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think they are that elite. I'll be almost shocked if they make it out of the divisionals. That defense is atrocious. Mark it down, Green Bay eliminated on Jan. 15 to the shock of most.

I'm not saying that GB is "elite", but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it's defense second in the NFL with 30+ takeaways?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the record... I don't want to be negetive, but let's just say it would be a pleasant surprise if the Niners beat the Saints. JMHO.

Wouldnt be a surprise to me. Last years game at the stick we played them good and should of won.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick question to all. Who actually 100% thinks we can win the super bowl this year? I notice a few of you dont like are chances against a few teams but was just curious how many people think we can take it all or have no chance against the other teams?

Go ahead and put me down as one who thinks we can win it all. We are a tough and physical team to play, cant wait to see this hungry team take the field and bring it to the other teams.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was wrong in my post above about the Packers defense, they tied the 49ers with 38 take-aways, with a DIFF of 24 to the 49ers 28.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quick question to all. Who actually 100% thinks we can win the super bowl this year? I notice a few of you dont like are chances against a few teams but was just curious how many people think we can take it all or have no chance against the other teams?

Go ahead and put me down as one who thinks we can win it all. We are a tough and physical team to play, cant wait to see this hungry team take the field and bring it to the other teams.

I do

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We've got a puncher's chance. It'd take things falling in the right fashion, but win two games and we're in. I feel the two hardest games will be getting there, though NE, Pit, and Baltimore can all give us problems.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 13-3, first rd bye and we're in the playoffs. We have a good of chance as any of the 1st rd bye teams....

Postseason you play the season's best/surprises. There's no avoiding it. If we want to win it all, got to beat them all.

Simple as that.... Bring on the Saints, ATL or NYG for our first match.... we got to beat them then worry about the NFC title gm. After the title gm, its Super Bowl and ALL BETS ARE OFF!

Go Niners!!!!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A few weeks ago, before we had the #2 seed locked up, I put some money down on the 49ers to win the Superbowl at 15:1 odds.

Pretty good odds if you ask me for a team with a bye week.

It's 13:1 today. So I would still take those odds.

I think Giants at 23:1 is a good deal as well. If their pass rush gets going in the playoffs they can be difficult. They also run the ball well. Giants will beat the Falcons and I like their chances going to Green Bay.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the running game shows up in the playoffs. Only other team in the NFC who has a back comparable to Gore is Atlanta with Turner. They've got a tough game though @ NYG.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On my Top 16 NFL Power Ranking, I have the 49ers at #4 behind the Packers, Patriots, and Saints. I think the 49ers will struggle against the Saints and their passing game.

I don't think the 49ers are pretenders. They have one of the best defenses in the NFL. There is no doubt that they stop the run better than anyone. They had done so without their star linebacker as well.

It's their offense I don't think is that intimidating, and will keep them from beating the Saints or the Packers. They are not very good at getting 1st downs and are one of the worst at converting 3rd downs. Akers is having some of the more impressive stats in the NFL, which is not a very good offensive stat to have.

Pretenders is not the word to have. The 49ers are very good, they are just not in the elite category yet. If they get another WR and maybe a OL or 2, I think they will be an elite team.