• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Cosell: 49ers are pretenders

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more doubt directed towards our team, and some more material for harbaugh to show the players. Been shot down all season and they prefer it that way as do I.

Keep on hating we will just keep on winning.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's generally fair, but as he acknowledges himself, Stafford can struggle with accuracy and decision-making at times, and when he does, that team is very beatable. Even if Smith is playing poorly, this team can compete. In the playoffs, where QBs often have shaky performances, that's pretty significant. It's what separates us from the other NFC teams, IMO.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's generally fair, but as he acknowledges himself, Stafford can struggle with accuracy and decision-making at times, and when he does, that team is very beatable. Even if Smith is playing poorly, this team can compete. In the playoffs, where QBs often have shaky performances, that's pretty significant. It's what separates us from the other NFC teams, IMO.

Exactly he even says it himself in the article about how we are the most consistent team and not turning the ball over and creating turnovers and what not. That is key in the palyoffs, hopefully we can continue that.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I should have said "distinguishes" instead of "separates" above. I don't mean to imply that we are necessarily better than the other NFC playoff teams. Just that we are different from the others - though Atlanta is in a fairly similar mold - in terms of the QB position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't think he said we're pretenders?

doesn't it read Harbaugh would disagree the 49ers are pretenders, and Cosell agrees with Harbaugh? meaning Cosell agress we're NOT pretenders?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

doesn't it read Harbaugh would disagree the 49ers are pretenders, and Cosell agrees with Harbaugh? meaning Cosell agress we're NOT pretenders?

"No one will look at Alex Smith and the 49ers the same way. Yet San Francisco is the more complete team. Recently, conventional wisdom has held that true Super Bowl contenders must be driven by the play of the quarterback. Does that make the 49ers pretenders? Jim Harbaugh would say no. I would disagree."

It says he disagrees with harbaugh.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
driven by the play of the qb? smith executes the game plan to perfection which is, don't fuck this up for akers game winning field goal. hell, it worked for the pats for a few years.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"Does that make the 49ers pretenders? Jim Harbaugh would say no. I would disagree."

What exactly does that statement mean then???

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone will agree with me? That no one could of predicted that we would be 13-3 and having a first round bye in the playoffs...We are the real deal...Our defense is top in the league and our offense isn't great but when it counts we put points on the board...we have 1 of the best coaching staffs in the league!! They are all rookie coaches just wait until they are here for a few years..It's looking good for the 49ers right now!!

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone will agree with me? That no one could of predicted that we would be 13-3 and having a first round bye in the playoffs...We are the real deal...Our defense is top in the league and our offense isn't great but when it counts we put points on the board...we have 1 of the best coaching staffs in the league!! They are all rookie coaches just wait until they are here for a few years..It's looking good for the 49ers right now!!

Exactly! Just wait until Harbaugh and Co. bring in some weapons on offense. I see another decade of dominance coming our way!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"No one will look at Alex Smith and the 49ers the same way. Yet San Francisco is the more complete team. Recently, conventional wisdom has held that true Super Bowl contenders must be driven by the play of the quarterback. Does that make the 49ers pretenders? Jim Harbaugh would say no. I would disagree."

It says he disagrees with harbaugh.

whoops, you're correct and my bad.

well, since our offense isn't even 'average', would agree we're not serious superbowl contenders....yet. if you define this as 'pretenders', then so be it.

but doesn't mean we can't compete and we'll find out on the 14th. even though we don't have a good passing attack, feel we have a fair chance of winning.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
driven by the play of the qb? smith executes the game plan to perfection which is, don't fuck this up for akers game winning field goal. hell, it worked for the pats for a few years.

yeah, you never know? a strong defense and mistake free ST's gives you a fair shot, keeps it close.

our offense isn't explosive and likely not consistent enough to win a SB? but don't think we'll be shut out, or only score three field goals? the others don't have strong defenses so we'll move downfield. as we ALL know, it'll come down to us scoring field goals or touchdowns?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah, no matter what happens i'm THANKFUL for this season. a lot of things went right to date and i'll take it.

still believe in defenses getting you to the SB, if we could only have one solid unit, i'll take defense. we'll see soon enough how much farther its trended to offense?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, you never know? a strong defense and mistake free ST's gives you a fair shot, keeps it close.

our offense isn't explosive and likely not consistent enough to win a SB? but don't think we'll be shut out, or only score three field goals? the others don't have strong defenses so we'll move downfield. as we ALL know, it'll come down to us scoring field goals or touchdowns?

in the eagles and bucs game our offense showed a little bit of explosion. then it seemed like the coaching staff was trying stuff out and just leaning on the d.

i think we're capable of making some plays but not on a consistent basis like the packers or saints. but all we need is a few good drives to give the d some breathing room. we're more than capable of it unless we keep settling for field goals.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
in the eagles and bucs game our offense showed a little bit of explosion. then it seemed like the coaching staff was trying stuff out and just leaning on the d.

i think we're capable of making some plays but not on a consistent basis like the packers or saints. but all we need is a few good drives to give the d some breathing room. we're more than capable of it unless we keep settling for field goals.

yes, i agree.

in every games there's always a chance, but some are good chances and some poor. for me, a 'fair' chance is just short of 50/50.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The notion we're pretenders is laughable. We went 13-3 with our 3 loses being close to decent teams.

I think we're a pretty good team just not quite in that category of elite like a Green Bay is.

I think Cosell and other analysts are putting way too much emphasis on the QB position. Don't get me wrong it's important but football is still a team sport and you have to consider other factors in whether a team wins or loses. Our offense is built around having a balance of running the ball and passing the ball and strong defense. It's not as flashy as a Green Bay or Saints offense but we didn't accidentally or luck our way to 13-3.

And the notion that we don't "scare" anyone is just analyst speak. We're one of the most physical teams on both sides of the ball and I guarantee no team is looking forward to having to play us.