• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest Sports Day

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I went over to the ESPN website and they were proud to advertise the ESPY awards as the greatest day in sports. This of course is blatently false and I wouldn't believe anyone if they said it was the greatest day. That being said, what do you guys feel is the greatest sports day of the year for you, and why?

I personally only really follow hockey so to me the greatest day is opening day of the hockey season. I spend enough time following what goes on during the offseason but it never keeps me interested for long. The wait becomes agonizing towards then end when the weather isn't good enough to distract me anymore. Then finally it all starts over again with the excitement of a potential winning season, new players finally performing on the ice, and of course the unfortunate knowledge that I'll soon have much less free time at nights.

The start of the playoffs is nice too but it doesn't have the buildup that opening day has.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
espys? they still have those? just like with mtv awards what will a millionaire do with that award when they get home? throw them out i bet.

greatest sports day for me? i might sound like a geek but its gotta be fantasy football season. doing some pre draft prep work before you draft the draft itself just so much fun (my fiance hates it) i really do think fantasy football itself is probably more popular then hockey and is #4 on the sport scene in north america. like for instance today driving into work listening to the fantasy ch on xm radio just fun that i will never get tired of.

i love hockey opening day but they really should do it where every team is playing on the same night and make it a saturday night. nothing is more boring then opening up against the av's on a wed night in october. make it an all day thing on a saturday like they do with hockey day in america. do a game at 1pm then 3/5/7/10 make it an event kinda like baseball

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they had a segment about Robin Roberts, the GMA host, beating cancer. That's great and all but what does it have to do with sports? That's why I gave up on the channel and website years ago.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they had a segment about Robin Roberts, the GMA host, beating cancer. That's great and all but what does it have to do with sports? That's why I gave up on the channel and website years ago.

Didn't she work at ESPN for years prior to GMA? i hate ESPN with a passion. They have way too much influence in sports world, especially college football. Glad to see their ratings dropped dramatically last year while NBC Sports tarted to climb.

Oh yeah, the ESPY's are so fucking stupid. Thought they quit having them years ago.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
we have 3 major 24hr news channels and yet only 1 "legit" sports channel? how is that possible? i dont understand how no one else has really stepped up to the plate for sports?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opening of college and NFL football season.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sunday before Memorial Day for me: Motorsports heaven

The F1 Monaco Grand Prix
The Indy 500 (which I attend in person)
The (whoever the sponsor is these days) 600 - if I can stay awake for the end of it!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The F1 Monaco Grand Prix
The (whoever the sponsor is these days) 600 - if I can stay awake for the end of it!

who is this guy and sport is he talking about?

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The F1 Monaco Grand Prix

I think I can agree with this

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if I can pick a specific day but usually its a day in October when hockey's just starting , football isnt being played in 80 degree weather anymore , and the baseball postseason is either in the World Series or close to it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have 3 major 24hr news channels and yet only 1 "legit" sports channel? how is that possible? i dont understand how no one else has really stepped up to the plate for sports?

NBC has attempted to they just don't really have the deals with the major sports in place. Fox however, is starting up a 24 hour ch. and from everything I have heard, read, etc. is going to be a very real threat to ESPN's dominance. They already have a ton of regional sports networks, they have the NFL, MLB and Nascar deals as well as soccer. I think they can make a serious go of it.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they dont even really have to show games to make a hit on espn. just give me some sport coverage like they do. like a sports center type show for highlights and just speicals on other shows. OR does espn have all the rights for that type of stuff?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they dont even really have to show games to make a hit on espn. just give me some sport coverage like they do. like a sports center type show for highlights and just speicals on other shows. OR does espn have all the rights for that type of stuff?

My guess, is they've heard enough people say just that and their main focus will be "We're a real sports network, that actually shows sports". They've been poaching talent from all over the place and I can guarantee they are going to be whoring that network out during Fox NFL Sundays and the MLB playoffs.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC has pretty much gone after the sports ESPN ignored. Which is fine by me. FS1 wants to compete with ESPN which is why I probably won't watch much of it

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Years Day is a pretty good sports day. College football bowl games & the Winter Classic.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any day the Devils win the Cup.. it varies from year to year... so hard to pick which day it will be....

Lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
winter classic day is good one.

know it would be impossible to do but what the nhl SHOULD do for the jan 1st games.

stack all 6 of them on the same day different start times. then just every stoppage in play for a game they cut to another game and go non stop commercial free hockey all day long. it would be great pr but lousey on the advertising side of it.