• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade your team draft.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if he's a developmental prospect, then he's the 3rd QB? Wentz' injury history requires a QB that is ready to go on the active roster. Besides, a team that went 4-6 outside of it's division has far bigger issues elsewhere.

I'd rather have a 2nd rounder helping the team from day 1 than a future trade chip.
That's why you find a Foles. I'm all for ensuring that there is an option if Wentz goes down again, but drafting a QB that high does a few things that negatively impact the team. First, if Wentz stays healthy, it's kind of a wasted pick. If Wentz says healthy, but struggles, then the calls for Hurts will grow. You don't need Wentz looking over his shoulder. If Wentz does get hurt and Hurts plays well, then you've got an issue when Wentz returns. They also just PAID Wentz, so there's no easy way out from under his contract for several years, at which time I think Hurts' contract would also be up, or close to it?? If that is the case - you risk losing both. Also, in the short-term, the Eagles failed to get a player that can help Wentz (or a F/A backup) now to win games. The team is building to win now - and if Hurts is the plan, then this team is not winning now and should have never paid Wentz.

I like Hurts, and I think on the right team, I'd have zero issue with where he went, but from the outside looking in - I just can't make hardly any positives out of the Eagles drafting him. Maybe we'll all be wrong - but as it stands right now - there are way more negative outcomes to this selection than positive.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton might start the season though. With the uncertainty about how much offseason work these teams will get, I'm not so sure I throw Burrow right out there game 1. They had a good draft, but they need to take their time IMO.
You are right - these odd times are throwing a wrench into what might happen. Though, I think Dalton came in under the same circumstance in 2010 with a delay to the off-season (I may be mis-remembering here)...and rumor around here is that Burrow has been meeting with the Bengals for quite some time during the draft process and they've already started with the playbook and studying to get him a jump on the season.

But, you could end up being 100% right - but if Dalton starts, and then Burrow takes over at some point, it should happen before the trade deadline so that they can move on from Dalton. Once the move is made to Burrow - they need to be all in, and not have him looking over his shoulder if he starts off a little bumpy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers

Of course this is a needs met grade.

B-

The Steelers went into this draft looking for depth at S, RB, OLB, ILB, WR. The needed a long term starter at LG and NT.

They covered all of the depth needs and I think they have the '21 starting LG. The position they didn't address imo was NT....the player they took in round 7 looks like a DE.

Now...we'll see how they develop in a couple of years, but with no 1st or 5th round picks...this was not going to be a sexy draft.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers

Of course this is a needs met grade.

B-

The Steelers went into this draft looking for depth at S, RB, OLB, ILB, WR. The needed a long term starter at LG and NT.

They covered all of the depth needs and I think they have the '21 starting LG. The position they didn't address imo was NT....the player they took in round 7 looks like a DE.

Now...we'll see how they develop in a couple of years, but with no 1st or 5th round picks...this was not going to be a sexy draft.

Honestly, I thought the AFCN as a whole had a really, really strong draft. I'd give the slight edge to Bmore, if only because of the ridiculousness that allowed several top tier players fall to them - mainly Queen - I HATE seeing him go to BMore. If he made it past BMore, I think he slides to the 2nd round (outside of a possible trade up from a team) and I think he ends up in Cincy over Higgins, IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you find a Foles. I'm all for ensuring that there is an option if Wentz goes down again, but drafting a QB that high does a few things that negatively impact the team. First, if Wentz stays healthy, it's kind of a wasted pick. If Wentz says healthy, but struggles, then the calls for Hurts will grow. You don't need Wentz looking over his shoulder. If Wentz does get hurt and Hurts plays well, then you've got an issue when Wentz returns. They also just PAID Wentz, so there's no easy way out from under his contract for several years, at which time I think Hurts' contract would also be up, or close to it?? If that is the case - you risk losing both. Also, in the short-term, the Eagles failed to get a player that can help Wentz (or a F/A backup) now to win games. The team is building to win now - and if Hurts is the plan, then this team is not winning now and should have never paid Wentz.

I like Hurts, and I think on the right team, I'd have zero issue with where he went, but from the outside looking in - I just can't make hardly any positives out of the Eagles drafting him. Maybe we'll all be wrong - but as it stands right now - there are way more negative outcomes to this selection than positive.

Hurts as your potential starting QB...as in QB1...he's not that guy. On the flip...most QBs get taken too early so in that sense I don't see a huge problem with the pick, but I thought he would go in the 3rd,

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if he's a developmental prospect, then he's the 3rd QB? Wentz' injury history requires a QB that is ready to go on the active roster. Besides, a team that went 4-6 outside of it's division has far bigger issues elsewhere.

I'd rather have a 2nd rounder helping the team from day 1 than a future trade chip.
I wouldn't disagree with you that Hurts should not be the back-up QB for any team going into next season... especially with the less practice time we are overwhelmingly likely to have.

I think we both agree this was a dubious pick by the Iggles.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts as your potential starting QB...as in QB1...he's not that guy. On the flip...most QBs get taken too early so in that sense I don't see a huge problem with the pick, but I thought he would go in the 3rd,
Agreed on that. I think I'm just looking at it more from a team dynamic perspective - not only did they not get someone to help Wentz now, but the potential implications of having a high round QB drafted right after giving a young QB a big-time contract *COULD* cause some issues. In the end, it may never come to fruition and it's all meaningless - but I think that outcome is the least likely - and that still leads to the issue that they didn't do something to help the team win NOW with a high round pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I thought the AFCN as a whole had a really, really strong draft. I'd give the slight edge to Bmore, if only because of the ridiculousness that allowed several top tier players fall to them - mainly Queen - I HATE seeing him go to BMore. If he made it past BMore, I think he slides to the 2nd round (outside of a possible trade up from a team) and I think he ends up in Cincy over Higgins, IMO.

BAL...I agree, the 1st four picks look like contributors early.

CLE...top 3 are strong picks on paper.

CIN...top QB off the board, plus 3 others that look to be starters eventually.

PIT...Claypool is going to play early, McFarland will likely get snaps...Highsmith would be fitting if he took over the 1st OLB off the bench job. Dotson looks like the '21 LG at this point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on that. I think I'm just looking at it more from a team dynamic perspective - not only did they not get someone to help Wentz now, but the potential implications of having a high round QB drafted right after giving a young QB a big-time contract *COULD* cause some issues. In the end, it may never come to fruition and it's all meaningless - but I think that outcome is the least likely - and that still leads to the issue that they didn't do something to help the team win NOW with a high round pick.

If it were somebody other than Hurts, I would buy more into the chemistry part of it...Wentz has to get his panties all straighten out after seeing a QB taken this high, but Hurts is not a threat to his job. Certainly not now...but they saw him as the best backup they could put behind him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAL...I agree, the 1st four picks look like contributors early.

CLE...top 3 are strong picks on paper.

CIN...top QB off the board, plus 3 others that look to be starters eventually.

PIT...Claypool is going to play early, McFarland will likely get snaps...Highsmith would be fitting if he took over the 1st OLB off the bench job. Dotson looks like the '21 LG at this point.

Yeah, the two big questions for me with Pitt - and they go hand in hand - how will the OL play, and what kind of shape (arm shape) will Ben return with. I have no doubt that Ben will work his tail off, I'm not worried about that. But age, deteriorating skill sets, a long NFL career of taking big hits and playing through injury and pain - all of these things eventually catch up to everyone - Ben is no different. That OL is important to ensure that Ben has the best chance to reach his peak level. A slip from the OL, and a dip from Ben combined could lead to a rough year.

Like I said - going to be very interesting in the AFCN this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the two big questions for me with Pitt - and they go hand in hand - how will the OL play, and what kind of shape (arm shape) will Ben return with. I have no doubt that Ben will work his tail off, I'm not worried about that. But age, deteriorating skill sets, a long NFL career of taking big hits and playing through injury and pain - all of these things eventually catch up to everyone - Ben is no different. That OL is important to ensure that Ben has the best chance to reach his peak level. A slip from the OL, and a dip from Ben combined could lead to a rough year.

Like I said - going to be very interesting in the AFCN this year.

I'm not that worried about what kind of Ben they get back...assuming he can be on the field, he's going to be better than what they trotted out there most of LY...including the week 1 version of himself.

The OL struggled at times last year...imo some of it was just poor play, but the QB play didn't help matters on any OFC position.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the Pats were looking at Hurts, at least that was the word on the street.
I mentioned Hurts and the Pats more to suggest the Eagles reached on him. In all honesty I have no clue what BB sees in players, but he finds talent where no one else sees it.

I've given up trying to out think BB.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+
(1, 4) OT Andrew Thomas-Georgia
(2, 36) S Xavier McKinney-Alabama
(3, 99) OL Matt Peart-UConn
(4, 110) CB Darnay Holmes-UCLA
(5, 150) OL Shane Lemiuex-Oregon
(6, 183) LB Cam Brown-Penn St
(7, 218) LB Carter Coughlin-Minnesota
(7, 238) LB TJ Brunson-South Carolina
(7, 247) CB Chris Williamson-Minnesota
(7, 255) LB Tae Crowder-Georgia

I have a feeling this draft for the Giants will make the 1974 Steelers draft look like a bunch of school boy bitches. Either that or nobody they picked will be on the roster in 3 years. :D

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears: B-

No A, because no first round pick... I know, I know, Mack. No O lineman picked until real dodgy late 7th rounders drop the B+ down. Also, a few of the picks are back up worthy, the LB and one of the CB's, though you never know. Picked up 3 very useful players in Kmet, Johnson and Mooney.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+

I have a feeling this draft for the Giants will make the 1974 Steelers draft look like a bunch of school boy bitches. Either that or nobody they picked will be on the roster in 3 years. :D

Humbling stat....4 HOFers

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills: B

5.167: Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia - value pick, will compete with Barkley to be the backup, wasn't in the Bills' draft plans but solid value as he continued to fall
Here's my take on Fromm. If he shows anything in preseason and some limited action, he could be moved to a QB hungry team in a couple of years for a 3rd round pick. If he gets some significant game action, and performs adequately, he could demand a 2nd.

In the meantime, he's probably a better back-up than Barkley.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. Got good value out of the top picks and pretty much addressed the majority of needs

Yeah I would say B+ to A- because of the upside of those first 2 picks, but after that it's a typical roll of the dice....Our LB's usually take take a year or two to develop here after rnd 2 it seems.....So we can only wait and see who the next one will be....
Go Ravens..."STAY SAFE"

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+

You will love Carter Coughlin, even if he's only a special teams player to start. He's one of the toughest, most dedicated players that I have ever seen in my life.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will love Carter Coughlin, even if he's only a special teams player to start. He's one of the toughest, most dedicated players that I have ever seen in my life.
I don't like him. Too many last names in his name.