• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade Our Draft Picks

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know.....If you take the individual players in a vacuum, I suppose .......maybe a C+ or B-
But it's about filling needs for this 2016 team....This ain't the 89 COWBOYS....

before the draft;
With Romo, the COWBOY'S offense this season, would have been very good. McFadden,Morris and Dunbar would have been good enough...I know EMMITT had said he didn't see the need of drafting an RB early.
The COWBOYS are not rebuilding.....supposedly.....
They have an excellent Oline....Very good WRs....Good TEs......Very good QB......OK RBs......
Pathetic CBs (last season) ......mediocre safeties ...Sean Lee is one of the NFL's best and a play maker........and other LBs ...And the D line is at best, a question mark. few turnovers, INTs and virtually no pass rush

I just thought drafting Smith was wrong for this team and THIS YEAR'S NEEDS . And no doubt, EE will be good for an already very good offense.
Jerry is always full of BS, but he says Romo has 4 or 5 years left. I would be happy with ONE championship season.

In general, I just thought this draft, didn't match the condition or needs, of the 2016 COWBOYS.
It was like we were drafting for a different team.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree. Cleveland moved up in the second round and took a K. I don't care if it's Vinatieri - you don't trade up and burn a 2nd rounder on a K.

Pretty sure that was Tampa taking Aguayo in the 2nd

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losers

Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles are trying to win next year, right? If so, they didn't do a lot to improve their roster immediately in this draft. Look, everything comes down to Carson Wentz. If he ends up being an “elite franchise quarterback” then Philly had a good draft. Define those nebulous terms however you want, but it just shouldn't be a debate whether he was worth it. If it he was, then it was a good move.

But here's my biggest issue with Philly's decision to sacrifice lots of picks and get Wentz: he won't play next year! Best case is Sam Bradford's willing to play ball for his $22 million guaranteed, the Eagles are better than anyone expects and are a playoff contender. Worst case is Bradford holds out/is traded/gets hurt and then Chase Daniel/Wentz have to carry the load for Philly. If that happens and things go south, then they've got to worry about giving up a high pick in next year's first-round pick to the Browns.

From this draft, Jalen Mills is a nice addition in the seventh round (long corner from LSU). Halapoulivaati Vaitai is a stupendous pick just because it's going to make the Philadelphia media write his name and Philadelphia fans say it out loud. Getting Wendell Smallwood in the fifth round means the Philly running backs are Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Kenjon Barner and Smallwood. What could go wrong? (Hint: a lot!)

CWentz-philly_640.jpg
The Eagles got their quarterback, but sacrificed a whole lot to do so. (USATSI)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how Prisco grades it, if you give a shit, and I for one don't, but here it is anyway!

DAL.png
Dallas Cowboys
Best pick: I love third-round pick Maliek Collins, a defensive tackle from Nebraska. He is a penetrating tackle who will help the inside pass rush. He will end up being a steal.

Questionable move: Taking injured linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round was a head shaker. He has nerve damage in his foot coming off a major knee injury. He probably won't play a down this year.

Third-day gem: Love the pick of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth round. They can develop him behind Tony Romo as a potential successor. Solid decision.

Analysis: I don't like taking backs high, so I ding the Cowboys for taking Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot, even if he's a good player. They also get two players -- Smith in the second and Prescott in the fourth -- who won't help right away. That's troubling. I did like some of their other picks, but not a great draft for me.

Grade: C-

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losers

Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles are trying to win next year, right? If so, they didn't do a lot to improve their roster immediately in this draft. Look, everything comes down to Carson Wentz. If he ends up being an “elite franchise quarterback” then Philly had a good draft. Define those nebulous terms however you want, but it just shouldn't be a debate whether he was worth it. If it he was, then it was a good move.

But here's my biggest issue with Philly's decision to sacrifice lots of picks and get Wentz: he won't play next year! Best case is Sam Bradford's willing to play ball for his $22 million guaranteed, the Eagles are better than anyone expects and are a playoff contender. Worst case is Bradford holds out/is traded/gets hurt and then Chase Daniel/Wentz have to carry the load for Philly. If that happens and things go south, then they've got to worry about giving up a high pick in next year's first-round pick to the Browns.

From this draft, Jalen Mills is a nice addition in the seventh round (long corner from LSU). Halapoulivaati Vaitai is a stupendous pick just because it's going to make the Philadelphia media write his name and Philadelphia fans say it out loud. Getting Wendell Smallwood in the fifth round means the Philly running backs are Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Kenjon Barner and Smallwood. What could go wrong? (Hint: a lot!)

I hate the draft predictions. SI claimed Dallas were "winners" then I go to Yahoo and they claim Cowboys as "Losers". Eagles draft comes down to one player and one player only. If they landed a stud QB they are big time winners. If not, the exact opposite.

View attachment 113157
The Eagles got their quarterback, but sacrificed a whole lot to do so. (USATSI)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how Prisco grades it, if you give a shit, and I for one don't, but here it is anyway!

View attachment 113159
Dallas Cowboys
Best pick: I love third-round pick Maliek Collins, a defensive tackle from Nebraska. He is a penetrating tackle who will help the inside pass rush. He will end up being a steal.

Questionable move: Taking injured linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round was a head shaker. He has nerve damage in his foot coming off a major knee injury. He probably won't play a down this year.

Third-day gem: Love the pick of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fourth round. They can develop him behind Tony Romo as a potential successor. Solid decision.

Analysis: I don't like taking backs high, so I ding the Cowboys for taking Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot, even if he's a good player. They also get two players -- Smith in the second and Prescott in the fourth -- who won't help right away. That's troubling. I did like some of their other picks, but not a great draft for me.

Grade: C-
Ding for the offensive rookie of the year:L

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we traded our 2nd round pick for a first round pick in 2017... everyone would be jumping for joy.

That is essentially what we did by drafting Jaylon Smith. I wanted Kevin Dodd just like everyone else but I'm happy with Charles Tapper. Everyone hates our CBs because they don't get INTs yet everyone is pissed because we didn't take Ramsey who recorded THREE INTs his entire college career.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to grade just comment about my 3 "pet cats" as Parcells used to call them

not taking Scooby Wright or Tyler Matakevetich when available in the 6th to me is a head scratcher the Boys need LB help and both could play ST

Morgan Burns was the next one he signed with the Titans UDFA and I think he will be a awesome return guy

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know.....If you take the individual players in a vacuum, I suppose .......maybe a C+ or B-
But it's about filling needs for this 2016 team....This ain't the 89 COWBOYS....

before the draft;
With Romo, the COWBOY'S offense this season, would have been very good. McFadden,Morris and Dunbar would have been good enough...I know EMMITT had said he didn't see the need of drafting an RB early.
The COWBOYS are not rebuilding.....supposedly.....
They have an excellent Oline....Very good WRs....Good TEs......Very good QB......OK RBs......
Pathetic CBs (last season) ......mediocre safeties ...Sean Lee is one of the NFL's best and a play maker........and other LBs ...And the D line is at best, a question mark. few turnovers, INTs and virtually no pass rush

I just thought drafting Smith was wrong for this team and THIS YEAR'S NEEDS . And no doubt, EE will be good for an already very good offense.
Jerry is always full of BS, but he says Romo has 4 or 5 years left. I would be happy with ONE championship season.

In general, I just thought this draft, didn't match the condition or needs, of the 2016 COWBOYS.
It was like we were drafting for a different team
Then blame free agency. The main purpose of the draft isn't to address your needs. We should have signed a FA DB and didn't.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ding for the offensive rookie of the year:L
I'm not so sure about that unless we trade McFadden. He is going to be a great player, but I'm not so sure he'll get enough touches year 1 to get OROY and that would be fine as long as his touches will grow as we move forward. Personally I trade McFadden right now before he gets injured.

I like the fact someone mentioned the other day if true - highest Wonderlic score for a RB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we traded our 2nd round pick for a first round pick in 2017... everyone would be jumping for joy.

That is essentially what we did by drafting Jaylon Smith. I wanted Kevin Dodd just like everyone else but I'm happy with Charles Tapper. Everyone hates our CBs because they don't get INTs yet everyone is pissed because we didn't take Ramsey who recorded THREE INTs his entire college career.
The problem is that even a year from now Smith may not be healthy. There is a chance he never plays an NFL game and a bigger chance he is never the same. That is why the move is questionable and the picks was perhaps a little bit early. At least we get to look forward to the Jerry spin machine giving us Medical updates for the next year or so. Jerry knows this is one of those moves that everyone is watching and that he will be judged on so he'll be trying his darnedest to make sure he doesn't look bad.

My gut says eventually we are very happy with this pick, but I accept that it could be a total wipeout too.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylon Smith is a MASSIVE wild card for this team. If he gets all the way back, pair him with Lee, and I don't care who the third Lber is. Dallas would be on the very short list for best LB corp in the league with Carolina. Only problem with our guys they all have major injury concerns.

We are do for some good luck. I want to believe!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylon Smith is a MASSIVE wild card for this team. If he gets all the way back, pair him with Lee, and I don't care who the third Lber is. Dallas would be on the very short list for best LB corp in the league with Carolina. Only problem with our guys they all have major injury concerns.

We are do for some good luck. I want to believe!
I think to some extent you make your own luck. When you draft guys like Lee and Smith you accept they will be more likely to get injured than the average player. But yeah, it does seem a little over the top with the number of injuries we get

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grading the draft before 3yrs is amusing. Folks get upset when the team dont draft their "guys"

IMG_20160425_111004.jpg

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to some extent you make your own luck. When you draft guys like Lee and Smith you accept they will be more likely to get injured than the average player. But yeah, it does seem a little over the top with the number of injuries we get

Oh I agree, you do make your own luck, or at you can stack the deck in your favor. I am all for acquiring safer prospects and free agents, without injury and character concerns. Jerry is a gambler. Oh well...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great way to look at it, still wish we had immediate help though. I will like the Smith pick a lot more next season.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that even a year from now Smith may not be healthy. There is a chance he never plays an NFL game and a bigger chance he is never the same. That is why the move is questionable and the picks was perhaps a little bit early. At least we get to look forward to the Jerry spin machine giving us Medical updates for the next year or so. Jerry knows this is one of those moves that everyone is watching and that he will be judged on so he'll be trying his darnedest to make sure he doesn't look bad.

My gut says eventually we are very happy with this pick, but I accept that it could be a total wipeout too.
I can't disagree about the risk of the unknown future... but the fact that the Cowboys team doctor did his surgery helps that concern.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree about the risk of the unknown future... but the fact that the Cowboys team doctor did his surgery helps that concern.
Absolutely agree. Hopefully that played into the decision and isn't just a coincidence