• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GPS watch w/ HRM

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started rowing again today and remembered how useful my old Garmin GPS watch was. I just wanna know how fast I'm going, distance covered and my heart rate.

Has anyone looked at all the new ones? The Garmin 620 and 920 look good but are overkill for my use a couple times per week. Polar M400 is pretty cheap.

Then, there's the real question: I take my cell phone with me when rowing. Are any of the new smartwatches capable of linking with the GPS app in my phone? Do any of the smartwatches have a HRM built in?? If so, I'll just get a new smartwatch and be done with it.

garmin-forerunner-920xt.jpg

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright you poosies, I did my own GDed research. I have to either get a Samsung Gear 2 (which is just an uglier and not cool version of the Gear S with a HRM), Motorola Motoactive, Alcatel, or some chinee knock-off.

Alcatel looks like an interesting alternative, but I've read some quality complaints: Alcatel One Touch ONETOUCH Watch - Small/medium Band (Black) : Watch & Wearables

The Garmin and other running watches won't do texts and calls n sech like a smartphone.

gear3_1_prod_0.png

image166.png

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you like? im not a fan of smart watches, i just use my old chest strap HRM

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of those Smart Watches show texts received to your phone? About the only reason I see a reason for one.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you like? im not a fan of smart watches, i just use my old chest strap HRM

Any of those Smart Watches show texts received to your phone? About the only reason I see a reason for one.

Yes. I went through the learning curve on smart watches here: Smartwatches. ?? | SportsHoopla.com Sports Forums and decided I'd like and use one. I did so by buying a cheap, $30 smart watch on Ebay to try it out. I hate digging for my phone when it rings or to glace at a new text...so, I like it all on my wrist.

So, now I need an exercise watch with HRM and am way too cheap to buy separate watches. One must do it all.

Last edited:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shop smart watch with heart rate monitor online - Buy smart watch with heart rate monitor for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Smart Watch With Heart Rate Monitor, Smart Watch With Heart Rate Monitor Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

These are some cheaper alternatives. My Samsung S5 comes with health software that tracks distance but you need your finger on the sensor to get your heart rate without a smart watch. There are some apps you can get that track your routes and distance as well. I've gotten some quality NFL and NHL knockoff jerseys from aliexpress before.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shop smart watch with heart rate monitor online - Buy smart watch with heart rate monitor for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Smart Watch With Heart Rate Monitor, Smart Watch With Heart Rate Monitor Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

These are some cheaper alternatives. My Samsung S5 comes with health software that tracks distance but you need your finger on the sensor to get your heart rate without a smart watch. There are some apps you can get that track your routes and distance as well. I've gotten some quality NFL and NHL knockoff jerseys from aliexpress before.

I've been thinking about it but realize it's kinda' stupid for me to cheap it on something I'll actually use. I decided to just get a Samsung Gear 2. It's waterproof and only 200 bucks.

AliExpress is great though. When "Frozen" came out, all my wife's mommy friends were scouring stores to find an Elsa dress for $80. Everywhere was sold out. She went on AliExpress and bought 10 of them for 8 bucks each! She was very popular as she gave them to all the little girls.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

are those indian sites?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
check their shoes, there nikes are right in line

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are those indian sites?

Chinese. But Alibaba had it's big IPO on our stock market last year. BABA. It's a global monster.
Not everything on there is cheap...only the cheap Chinese made stuff.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
strictly on wrist? no chest strap?

No chest strap. If you look at the back of the watches with a HRM, you can see a little window that picks up your heart beat from your wrist. I've read some say those are sometimes inaccurate at a resting pulse, but you're exercising and the pulse is pounding, they're supposedly accurate. So, we shall see and I shall report back you to in 10 days.

ls2rWB5UqgqSdc9qWG2equCXAXcRTQPaEyz5kkutHwbF_exRJVGYYi8nxRYh5jU9wJd2W2ZbOx-6S6tJrvuMmQmiSitjTlpyuNoRSVJpiyk7e_Baqj8

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Gear 2 Chinee knock-off arrived yesterday and it's really quite fascinating. Even the box it comes in is the same as the Samsung. I've gone through every feature and they're all the same. I've charged it fully and it took the same amount of time Consumer Reports said the Gear 2 would take. The picture is bright. The camera works ok. Sleep monitor...wtf? The HRM is accurate even sitting here on the couch...if you wear it on the bottom of your wrist as I would when working out.

This has to be made at the same factory as Samsung's Gear 2. It's the same freakin' thing but only 50 bucks.

The Chinese are shameless dickheads. I can't believe any firm would make something there knowing they'll be selling the same thing for nothing on Alibaba??

Anyway...pretty sweet. I got the one with a stainless steel band because that rubber shit makes me itch.

114377d1398277900t-questions-about-watchband-picsplay_1398274972313.jpg

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Gear 2 Chinee knock-off arrived yesterday and it's really quite fascinating. Even the box it comes in is the same as the Samsung. I've gone through every feature and they're all the same. I've charged it fully and it took the same amount of time Consumer Reports said the Gear 2 would take. The picture is bright. The camera works ok. Sleep monitor...wtf? The HRM is accurate even sitting here on the couch...if you wear it on the bottom of your wrist as I would when working out.

This has to be made at the same factory as Samsung's Gear 2. It's the same freakin' thing but only 50 bucks.

The Chinese are shameless dickheads. I can't believe any firm would make something there knowing they'll be selling the same thing for nothing on Alibaba??

Anyway...pretty sweet. I got the one with a stainless steel band because that rubber shit makes me itch.

114377d1398277900t-questions-about-watchband-picsplay_1398274972313.jpg

Where you buy it at? You got me interested.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you buy it at? You got me interested.

lol. At least we're fucking over a Korean (Samsung) and not American.

It's just like this one but I can't tell if there's any difference. There are so many smartwatch knock-offs on here for every brand, I can't find the exact same seller. I paid $57 for mine and don't know why the are for sale anywhere from 60 something to 150 bucks today? Who knows. You can choose a silicon or metal or leather band for most of 'em.

2015 New arrival original G2 heart rate sensor Smart Watch with bluetooth 4.0 for ISO iPhone 6 Android Samsung Gear 2 Huawei HTC-in Smart Watches from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW...make sure it's listed as waterproof. Check 'em all out...there are hundreds of different ones on there.
The only down side, so far, is that it took 3 weeks to get the damned thing from Chinee...or wherever it came from.