• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

University of Alabama tracking students during college football games

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coach does not like empty stadiums in blowout wins.

What are the best ways to solve this problem?

They are tracking students and if they stay at the game they can be rewarded I guess?

In an effort to keep University of Alabama students engaged during college football season, the school has come up with a way to record the location of students in an attempt to prevent them from leaving during the fourth quarter of home games.

Beginning this season, the university offered an app for students to download on their cell phones so the school will know if they leave games early at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Students who install a version of the app FanMaker called "Tide Loyalty Points," will be awarded points which they can use to earn certain incentives, like College Football Playoff Tickets, according to the New York Times.

"The Tide Loyalty Points program works like this: Students, who typically pay about $10 for home tickets, download the app and earn 100 points for attending a home game and an additional 250 for staying until the fourth quarter," the Times stated.

Alabama coach Nick Saban is used to their program beating up on their early non-conference opponents, which is a problem for attendance when students leave early during blowout games. During the team's 62-10 victory against New Mexico State last Saturday, Saban was displeased to see the stadium half-full.

"I think it enhances the value of our program if our stadium is full and people stay for 60 minutes in the game, aight," Saban told 247Sports. "So, from my standpoint, I always want to see the stadium full and I want to see people stay for 60 minutes in the game. We expect our players to compete for 60 minutes in the game. I'm not satisfied with the way some of our players competed in the fourth quarter, the second-team guys and all that. I mean, I'd like to see them get supported just like some of the people that are fun to watch, alright."

"So, I would love for the students there for the whole game, and I know we've tried to enhance with some of the things that we're doing to try to get them to do that. But that's a choice and decision they've got to make. But all these things affect the program, aight, because people come and we have recruits and here, and they want to see a full house and all that."

He wasn't happy last season when the student section was fairly empty during the teams 56-14 victory against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the coach stated after a 52-0 beatdown against Arkansas in 2013 that "in some kind of way, everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game."

Students who make it through the fourth quarter of games will be awarded priority access to sought after tickets like the SEC Championship Game and the College Football Playoff. The app does present some privacy concerns through the tracking of students, which has been labeled "very alarming" because Alabama is a public university that receives funds through the government.

"Why should packing the stadium in the fourth quarter be the last time the government wants to know where students are?" Adam Schwartz, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation told the Times. "A public university is a teacher, telling students what is proper in a democratic society."

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne told the Times he doesn't see a problem because students can either close the app or delete it when they leave the stadium.

“If anybody has a phone, unless you’re in airplane mode or have it off, the cellular companies know where you are,” he said.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a stupid fucking thread to start on game day.

Your threads are bad and you should feel bad.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first year as a student, I left at halftime and didn't see the 2nd half of any game.

I don't thing Barry Switzer gave a shit.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a stupid fucking thread to start on game day.

Your threads are bad and you should feel bad.

It is not game day for my team they have a week off so fuck you. I think Mr Saban is a bit sensitive

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All about recruiting, recruits don’t want to see half empty stadiums even in blowouts

That being said, it’ll be better when we’re playing home and homes. Hopefully no more NMSU in September at 3 pm when it’s 100 degrees

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at Alabama for the the '92 National Championship, scoring tickets for the Sugar Bowl was no joke. If I could increase my chances for CFP tickets just by staying 'til the end of games...hells to the yes.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying something similar for a couple years now. Although, I would say that it is at least in part Bamas fault. And anyone that schedules like that. I won't say entirely, but definitely in part.

Last edited:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only we had another thread about this subject.

Saban Whining Again

There are never too many of those.

source.gif

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All about recruiting, recruits don’t want to see half empty stadiums even in blowouts

That being said, it’ll be better when we’re playing home and homes. Hopefully no more NMSU in September at 3 pm when it’s 100 degrees

Recruits don’t give a shit either.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charging students for football tickets when they're already paying out the ass to attend that school. What a third tier toilet program kind of move. And then, after that bullshit, demanding students who paid money to go to the game stay around the entire fuck. That little hobbit is such a bitch.

nappyvalley

Rivals Asylee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop scheduling the fkn South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs of the world and maybe peeps will stick around.

*yes I know my team does it too

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good and bad to this. The bad being it's pretty Big Brother and an evasion of privacy, although you don't HAVE to sign up.

I think the long term goal here is to push this program to help support attendance at other sports and also give them an information edge in the future of how to solicit donations from these kids once they graduated. I'm betting they are going to try to keep as many as possible in the program even after graduation. Nice they are in it will start seeming "normal" and slowly will start modifying behavior in the short and long term.

This isn't just a "Saban wants the students to stay" move this has bigger possibilities in the future and they're using Saban (who they know most of the fan base won't bitch about) as an excuse to kick it off.