• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Got to hit some balls finally

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My swing's a complete mess. I had a sizing and it ruined it. Had a few lessons with the pro at the range I hit at but I think this season is going to be a disaster.

It ain't over yet!

a94489e0c55d992ce5970cf789afee97.jpg

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can flub a chip in the greatest of conditions, but when the apron and fringe areas are wet and spongy like they have been lately...I'm going to bump it with a hybrid or even putt it from now on...I flubbed 4 chips last week...did 1 putt one of them to save bogey...the other 3 were all dbls...that sucked, but it happen to all of us which I why I'm blaming it on the conditions.

We're playing on dormant bermuda/red clay right now.

I played on some dormant bermuda down in NC two weekends ago. The course was wet and mushy and the course we were on had changed the greens to mini bermuda grass a few years ago. They were bumpy, mushy and just generally slow as hell.

We played from the blues (6,800 yds) because the two fellas I was with are pretty low handicappers so shooting a 101 after not picking up the clubs in almost 6 months didn't bother me much. I had two holes in particular that kept me out of the low 90's so all in all I wont complain.

Many courses in southern NH are already open which is crazy.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ended up having to schedule the snip for April 14th, so I may try to get out next weekend if the weather holds. Dr. Prescribed 1 Valium and 12 pain pills that I'll need to bring to the office the day of. And I'm definitely glad I have the insurance I do, costing me only the dr. visit copays while I know he's going to be out 1.5k+.

Like you, I've got a matching set 2 years apart with the boy then the girl. We're done.

Good luck with the vasectomy. I had mine 22 years ago and it was simple and painless. The procedure took all of 15 minutes and I went home, put my feet up and relaxed for the rest of that day (Wed) and all of the next.

Woke up Friday feeling like nothing had happened and went golfing at Candia Woods with a couple of buddies.

I never ended up taking any pain meds and my advice is to NOT do anything that day or the next no matter how good you feel. My cousin Dave had had his done a while before I did and he felt great after the snip job so he puttered around the garden with his wife that afternoon. The next day his pouch was all swollen and purple (so he says) and he was in a lot of pain for several more days after that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played on some dormant bermuda down in NC two weekends ago. The course was wet and mushy and the course we were on had changed the greens to mini bermuda grass a few years ago. They were bumpy, mushy and just generally slow as hell.

We played from the blues (6,800 yds) because the two fellas I was with are pretty low handicappers so shooting a 101 after not picking up the clubs in almost 6 months didn't bother me much. I had two holes in particular that kept me out of the low 90's so all in all I wont complain.

Many courses in southern NH are already open which is crazy.

My yard is bermuda and showing signs for greening up this week with most of the overnight temps being near 45 or...when the overnight temps are 50 & up it starts to take off so then I won't have that excuse.

6800 is long...I do that out in Colo when I play out there, but most of the tracks we play tip out at 6800...one in our rota plays 6600+ from the silver (one up from the tips), but the long driving holes allow the avg weekend hack enough room to land the ball on some grass....today we're playing Chicopee Woods...6500 or so from blue...really like this course...no houses...just golf holes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with the vasectomy. I had mine 22 years ago and it was simple and painless. The procedure took all of 15 minutes and I went home, put my feet up and relaxed for the rest of that day (Wed) and all of the next.

Woke up Friday feeling like nothing had happened and went golfing at Candia Woods with a couple of buddies.

I never ended up taking any pain meds and my advice is to NOT do anything that day or the next no matter how good you feel. My cousin Dave had had his done a while before I did and he felt great after the snip job so he puttered around the garden with his wife that afternoon. The next day his pouch was all swollen and purple (so he says) and he was in a lot of pain for several more days after that.

lol...I assume you took his word for it.

I had some pain, but the following day actually and I don't recall doing much the day of either, but like you it was 20+ yrs ago....the only regret I have (not a regret more like a disappointment) I thought the frequency was going to change in my favor...it didn't....oh well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My swing's a complete mess. I had a sizing and it ruined it. Had a few lessons with the pro at the range I hit at but I think this season is going to be a disaster.

I wouldn't blame my swing...if the fitting involved a lie change, it's going to take some time for you to get used to it....my clubs are .5" over in length and 2 deg upright for the club to hit the ground level (i.e. toe or heel is not hitting first)

I played some rentals once that were standard...I managed my way around, but those little changes make a big difference...chances are you had unconsciously made some adjustment to make your clubs work...now that they are fitted right, you need to adjust again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best scoring round of the year so far...44-38...@ Chicopee Woods...white tees...par 72 6050/68.3/122

Thru 15 holes I was tracking for sub 80 and choked...16 was a bad bogey, GIR & 3 jacked from 12' trying to jam a birdie putt in, missed the comebacker from 2'...17 was even worse...dbl from 112 yds after a great drive...short sided and just couldn't get my 1st pitch on the green...par on the last for +2 on the back.

Scrambled well....hit 8 GIR...8 pars, 2 birdies, 4 dbls...27 putts.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't blame my swing...if the fitting involved a lie change, it's going to take some time for you to get used to it....my clubs are .5" over in length and 2 deg upright for the club to hit the ground level (i.e. toe or heel is not hitting first)

I played some rentals once that were standard...I managed my way around, but those little changes make a big difference...chances are you had unconsciously made some adjustment to make your clubs work...now that they are fitted right, you need to adjust again.

Those are the exact settings they gave me. I'm taller (6'1") but have a shorter inseam and a long torso. I was hitting it like shit when they got to the half inch and 2 degrees but the guy was like "don't worry about it". Was never able to hit those clubs and actually went on ebay to buy the original set at factory settings like they were before. Swing's improving but after trying and trying with the longer clubs my swing was a complete mess. I was taking divots outside in at 45 degrees and flying everything. Finally starting to get it straightened out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are the exact settings they gave me. I'm taller (6'1") but have a shorter inseam and a long torso. I was hitting it like shit when they got to the half inch and 2 degrees but the guy was like "don't worry about it". Was never able to hit those clubs and actually went on ebay to buy the original set at factory settings like they were before. Swing's improving but after trying and trying with the longer clubs my swing was a complete mess. I was taking divots outside in at 45 degrees and flying everything. Finally starting to get it straightened out.

Oh...I can see why now...you started with standard, probably grooved your swing and then switched to longer, more up right clubs.

I'm 6'3" (or was) with 34 inseam and 34/35 sleeve.

I started the game with lessons, and clubs fitted (static) so I've never played with standard aside from the rentals a few times....my buddy who is a similar height to me (says he's 6'4" but he's not taller than me so go figure)...plays +1" and 2 deg up, and his lofts are stronger...his 9i goes 150+ and mine goes 130-140 tops, but I out drive him by 15-20 yds....he's still trying to figure out why...lol.

As you're finding out...uou can be taller and still fit standard clubs...good you picked up on it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...I can see why now...you started with standard, probably grooved your swing and then switched to longer, more up right clubs.

I'm 6'3" (or was) with 34 inseam and 34/35 sleeve.

I started the game with lessons, and clubs fitted (static) so I've never played with standard aside from the rentals a few times....my buddy who is a similar height to me (says he's 6'4" but he's not taller than me so go figure)...plays +1" and 2 deg up, and his lofts are stronger...his 9i goes 150+ and mine goes 130-140 tops, but I out drive him by 15-20 yds....he's still trying to figure out why...lol.

As you're finding out...uou can be taller and still fit standard clubs...good you picked up on it.

I was totally stupid about it. He had me start with the same lie with a 6 iron and put a half inch on it with the practice club. Was drilling the ball. Then he started adjusting the lie upright and I was having problems. Dude was saying "don't worry, it's ok" and I didn't know any better. The club that he had me start with was already in my bag, it's called a fucking 5 iron. All I had to do is buy a 3 (I go 4 up on the irons), toss the wedge and just write one number less on every club. And the really pathetic thing about it is that I hit my 9 way better than my pitching wedge which I just fly. I'd be better off without it. The main thing is that the upright lie shallowed out my shoulders too much and everything is outside in because my right arm is getting trapped. Easy to recognize but hard to fix. Had a good day at the range with the original clubs unaltered so hopefully I've finally turned the corner (still a few thousand balls off though). I worked my ass off getting the ball to go right to left on my normal swing and it all went to shit because of a poor sizing.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was totally stupid about it. He had me start with the same lie with a 6 iron and put a half inch on it with the practice club. Was drilling the ball. Then he started adjusting the lie upright and I was having problems. Dude was saying "don't worry, it's ok" and I didn't know any better. The club that he had me start with was already in my bag, it's called a fucking 5 iron. All I had to do is buy a 3 (I go 4 up on the irons), toss the wedge and just write one number less on every club. And the really pathetic thing about it is that I hit my 9 way better than my pitching wedge which I just fly. I'd be better off without it. The main thing is that the upright lie shallowed out my shoulders too much and everything is outside in because my right arm is getting trapped. Easy to recognize but hard to fix. Had a good day at the range with the original clubs unaltered so hopefully I've finally turned the corner (still a few thousand balls off though). I worked my ass off getting the ball to go right to left on my normal swing and it all went to shit because of a poor sizing.

Easy to...I'm not good enough to suggest a swing thought or change here, but I'll share this. My last golf lesson was about 9-10 yrs ago...I was struggling to break 90 again, my nice draw had turned into an ugly duck hook and I just couldn't fix it. Aside from some basics which had gotten poor (namely grip, and ball position) the most lasting thing he taught me...the 30 yd pitch with a 56 or higher lofted club.

He said when things get off kilter in your full swing...go back to the basics and hit some of these shots at a target...chances are your swing flaw will surface. If you're hitting them fat, thin, left, right it will most likely repeat in this short swing. I've found this to be true.

This swing is so much slower than a full swing but because it requires all the same action of a full swing, you can typically find out what the problem is and fix it on your own. Once you are hitting this short shot consistently like you want...go back to your full swing and focus on rhythm...arriving at impact at the same time with every swing.

Right to left...my driver is a draw still, not intently, just the ball flight I guess, but I find myself liking a fade better actually...doesn't go quite as far, but don't fear losing it right.

Sounds like you're getting back on track, just need to take it to the course and trust it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to...I'm not good enough to suggest a swing thought or change here, but I'll share this. My last golf lesson was about 9-10 yrs ago...I was struggling to break 90 again, my nice draw had turned into an ugly duck hook and I just couldn't fix it. Aside from some basics which had gotten poor (namely grip, and ball position) the most lasting thing he taught me...the 30 yd pitch with a 56 or higher lofted club.

He said when things get off kilter in your full swing...go back to the basics and hit some of these shots at a target...chances are your swing flaw will surface. If you're hitting them fat, thin, left, right it will most likely repeat in this short swing. I've found this to be true.

This swing is so much slower than a full swing but because it requires all the same action of a full swing, you can typically find out what the problem is and fix it on your own. Once you are hitting this short shot consistently like you want...go back to your full swing and focus on rhythm...arriving at impact at the same time with every swing.

Right to left...my driver is a draw still, not intently, just the ball flight I guess, but I find myself liking a fade better actually...doesn't go quite as far, but don't fear losing it right.

Sounds like you're getting back on track, just need to take it to the course and trust it.

That's a good tip and it's basically what the guy I go to is having me do. He's having me take half swings with 80% of the weight on my front leg throughout just to get the feel of trapping the ball again. I'm a ways off still but it's getting back there. Hopefully I'll be in decent shape by May.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good tip and it's basically what the guy I go to is having me do. He's having me take half swings with 80% of the weight on my front leg throughout just to get the feel of trapping the ball again. I'm a ways off still but it's getting back there. Hopefully I'll be in decent shape by May.

Good drill...even with that little 30 yd shot...if the weight is not mostly on my lead leg...I hit it fat....amazing how that little shot reveals flaws but it will. side note...you need a high lofted club because you need a little wristcock to make the ball go 30yds....i.e. a PW or 9i is not enough loft.

Question...are you blending the range time with course time? My duck hook was so bad I had to get off the course for a while, but he did tell me not to get too comfortable at the range...so once I gained a bit of confidence back I started back on the course.

May? oh yeah, you should be good to go in 2+ mos. The Masters champion would be crowned, and The Players will be teed up....you'll be itching to get out on the course.

Good luck with it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good drill...even with that little 30 yd shot...if the weight is not mostly on my lead leg...I hit it fat....amazing how that little shot reveals flaws but it will. side note...you need a high lofted club because you need a little wristcock to make the ball go 30yds....i.e. a PW or 9i is not enough loft.

Question...are you blending the range time with course time? My duck hook was so bad I had to get off the course for a while, but he did tell me not to get too comfortable at the range...so once I gained a bit of confidence back I started back on the course.

May? oh yeah, you should be good to go in 2+ mos. The Masters champion would be crowned, and The Players will be teed up....you'll be itching to get out on the course.

Good luck with it.

Yeah. I try to get in 27 holes a week and then like 4-5 trips to the range. It's coming around. Just frustrating as hell dealing with this right now because golf just isn't very fun for me when I'm consistently playing like garbage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I try to get in 27 holes a week and then like 4-5 trips to the range. It's coming around. Just frustrating as hell dealing with this right now because golf just isn't very fun for me when I'm consistently playing like garbage.

Good...you're not becoming a ranger Rick.

You'll get there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work but a bad day at golf is not better than a good day at work!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work but a bad day at golf is not better than a good day at work!

Well...my job ain't all bad and it pays for the golf, some days are better than others...just like golf...the worse part of a bad day playing golf is I have to wait several days to get back on the horse.

Played my unofficial home course again Sat. Trophy Club Apalachee...44-42...+15 to par...just a mixed bag of the same shit...not following a good shot with another one enough...6 thru 9 are scoring holes...6 is a short par 5 but requires 2 accurate shots to get there, 7 med length par 3 and #8 driveable par 4.., 9 short par 4 up hill....I had just made par on 6, hit 7 in reg and 3 jacked...#8, 275 to the center, but green slopes away from the fairway...I take driver here every time and normally hit short and come up 10 15 yds or roll on...I hit the green on the fly...and roll thru into a hazard...playable but make 5, 9, hit FW, hit green 2 putt....I played them at +2 and hit a great tee ball on all 4 holes...for hacks like us...the worse you want is even, preferably -1.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have about 5-6" of sticky snow on the ground right now and that will close down the golf courses for about a week. The forecast is calling for a bit more towards the end of the week.

I knew the early openings were too good to be true.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have about 5-6" of sticky snow on the ground right now and that will close down the golf courses for about a week. The forecast is calling for a bit more towards the end of the week.

I knew the early openings were too good to be true.

Sucks.

There is a saying an old neighbor of mine had...literally old, he was retired...on spring planting...in GA you never plant anything until after Memorial Day if cold weather will kill it.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit 11 fairways and had 30 putts today.

Unfortunately, I also had about 16 shots with various wedges and posted a 91

sunava!!