• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good (and bad) beat writers

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you all know, I have to follow the Eagles from across the Atlantic, and mostly make due with articles and the occasional podcast. So I wonder, who do you consider good beatwriters and good podcasts? And who is to be avoided?

I am especially curious on your opinion of Elliot Shore Parks (have heard many potshots taken at him), and Jimmy Kempski (who I think is an aquired taste).

Generally the ones I follow are:

Tommy Lawlor
Bleeding Green Nation
Phillyvoice (Kempski and Mullin)
Philly.com

So who do you like, and who do you dislike? And why?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles Wire - Turron Davenport. From Philly.com, I like Les Bowen , Zach Berman, Dave Zangaro, Mike Sielski, and Paul Domowitch the best. Jeff McLane- not as much. He's arrogant.

Parks is actually pretty good. He works hard. Kempski is very good.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, not sure if you heard but Sheil Kapadia, who left Philly to write about the Seahawks for ESPN, is coming back to write for a new publication called The Athletic that is starting up. It is national, but he will be their main Philly guy, along with Derek Bodner and some other good writers. This is a subscription service, meaning that you have to pay, but it is probably going to be worth it, as these are good people with good insights.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have started following Turron Davenport on Twitter and he is a good one, he is one of the better Eagles beat guys now.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapadia is excellent. Used to work with Tim Mcmanus, now with ESPN. I'll look for the Atlantic.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Sheil and Tim were the best when they were at Philadelphia Magazine. They actually broke down games and plays instead of just covering the press conferences we can all find online now.

Unfortunately, the magazine stopped covering sports. I know a lot of people won't pay, but I will probably pay for this, if it is as good as their old stuff.

Also as I noted, the Sixers guy for the Athletic happens to be an alum of our old KFFL board. For that alone we should support him.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Sheil and Tim were the best when they were at Philadelphia Magazine. They actually broke down games and plays instead of just covering the press conferences we can all find online now.

Unfortunately, the magazine stopped covering sports. I know a lot of people won't pay, but I will probably pay for this, if it is as good as their old stuff.

Also as I noted, the Sixers guy for the Athletic happens to be an alum of our old KFFL board. For that alone we should support him.
Would that be Flipper?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what was his handle?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His handle was DBodner. That's Derek Bodner, who is now one of the better basketball writers in the Philly scene.

Flipper I think wrote about football for the Redskins' web site, despite being an Eagles fan!