• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Finals Thread

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to LA sports radio today and almost everyone said it was ridiculous that Iguodala got the Finals MVP award. They compared it to giving the award to Robert Horry, Rick Fox, or Trevor Ariza. They agreed that Iggy played great but said it was Steph that clearly drives everything the Warriors do(which is pretty obvious). Iguodala was their MVP "among the supporting cast for the W's" but not the Finals MVP in their opinion. Definitely, a minor point of contention but interesting to hear their takes nonetheless.
I couldn't disagree more. Had it not been for Iggy LBJ just might have taken 3 games. I think steph was the reg season MVP without a doubt but not the Finals MVP.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a summary of the new rules:

• Sign and trade contracts are reduced to a maximum of 4 years, with 4.5% percent raises. These are the years and raises used for non-bird players. In the past CBA, you could give the player maximum raises for maximum years if you had their bird rights, which would be 7.5% raises over 5 years in the current CBA.
  • Teams more than $4 million above the luxury tax cannot receive players in a sign and trade deal. If a team acquires a player in a sign and trade deal, then the team cannot go $4 million or more above the luxury tax for the remainder of the salary cap year. There were previously no restrictions.

Good to know. Thanks Turnup.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to LA sports radio today and almost everyone said it was ridiculous that Iguodala got the Finals MVP award. They compared it to giving the award to Robert Horry, Rick Fox, or Trevor Ariza. They agreed that Iggy played great but said it was Steph that clearly drives everything the Warriors do(which is pretty obvious). Iguodala was their MVP "among the supporting cast for the W's" but not the Finals MVP in their opinion. Definitely, a minor point of contention but interesting to hear their takes nonetheless.

Yeah, I heard some of that too. They were saying something similar on Dan Patrick. It was a weird finals as far as MVP for a couple of reasons.

For one, the best player in the series, by a wide margin, put up historic numbers. But his team lost.

The best player on the team that won, is clearly the one who drives everything, but he also looked decidedly average for much of the series.

The guy who got the finals MVP, got it, in large measure, for his defense on a guy who averaged something like 38ppg, 10+rpg and 9+ apg.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief, do we have to be exposed to these extensive, verbose dissertations that one person continues to literally throw-up on any thread he enters? Give it a rest already.
Wiggy thinks he's a lawyer.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I heard some of that too. They were saying something similar on Dan Patrick. It was a weird finals as far as MVP for a couple of reasons.

For one, the best player in the series, by a wide margin, put up historic numbers. But his team lost.

The best player on the team that won, is clearly the one who drives everything, but he also looked decidedly average for much of the series.

The guy who got the finals MVP, got it, in large measure, for his defense on a guy who averaged something like 38ppg, 10+rpg and 9+ apg.

I'm pretty sure LBJ's stats when guarded by Iggy weren't that good. Most of his stats came off other guys I think.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget, the Spurs and Greg Popovich led the resurgence of team-oriented basketball in the post-Kobe era. Thank God.

And the Spurs could have contended this year. They might have beaten the Cavs, though I doubt they would have beaten the W's.

ESPN, and the media that follows their lead, don't like the W's and the Spurs, because it's easier to create sound bites about individual heroes than about teams. The carries over to the simpletons who populate these boards, with their endless arguments about whether Kobe, LeBron or MJ was greater.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that will surprise me is if the Warriors don't get even better next season.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's an article that's more specific.

NBA's No-Stats Finals MVP - ABC News

James scored at an astronomical rate (35.8 points per game, albeit on 40 percent shooting) in these Finals. But with Iguodala as his primary defender, James shot just 35.1 percent from the field, according to ESPN Stats & Information data. That's worse than James shot when guarded by Jimmy Butler, an NBA All-Defense second-team selection this season, in the 2015 Eastern Conference semifinals (39.3 percent) and against Kawhi Leonard, this season's defensive player of the year, in the 2014 Finals (57.6 percent).

James also shot just 30 percent on shots contested by Iguodala. When contested by anyone else, James shot 42 percent.

"It's funny to say, when a guy gets 44 points, that a defender did a really good job," Kerr said, "but I thought Andre did extremely well."

Iguodala guarded James on 19 plays, holding him to 4-of-14 shooting, including 2-of-7 in the clinching overtime. Though James scored a ton of points, it took him a whopping 38 shots to get there.

"At the end of the day, everybody is going to look at [James'] numbers and say, 'God, he had a monster game,' but for all the analytical geeks, you'll say, he took 34 shots to get 40," Aaron McKie said. "That's what we've been saying for years. That's what you want."

Iguodala also had the highest plus-minus (10.3) of any player in this year's Finals.

Let's not forget, the Spurs and Greg Popovich led the resurgence of team-oriented basketball in the post-Kobe era. Thank God.

And the Spurs could have contended this year. They might have beaten the Cavs, though I doubt they would have beaten the W's.

Nobody forgot, first thing Kerr said after the W's won was how they had a lot of luck, mainly they were lucky to remain healthy he said.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHAH

thats pretty hilarious coming from you- considering LAD stands for LAKERS ALL DAY and your sudden die-hardness to the Warriors. Stick to keepin the baby daddy's straight LAD....you have your hands full in that department
Actually, it's also pretty TRUE!!!!!!! Besides, I'm sure the fact that I have the Lakers logo under my avi as a team I rep means it's no SECRET.

And I guess since you've resulted to insults it means I musta struck a nerve. Now THAT'S hilarious.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAAAAAAAAAY longer than you have been that is for damn sure. The closest you have ever been to a lawyers office is the paternity test after the Springer Show
Hahahahaha yea, yea, yea. Salty that your Cavs lost and now salty you've been busted out. Just own up to it.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Curry averaged 26 a game on like 7 assists and 4 rebounds. Yeah pretty average lol

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 4 rebounds?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry had other things to figure out like the Cavs double team. He got a rebound every once and awhile because Barnes, Lee, Ezeli, Green, and sometimes Bogut were gobbling up most of the rebounds.

Last edited: