• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Finals Thread

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still not sure why guys like Marion, Miller, and Perkins never played.

The narrative is:
1) the CAVS got tired and worn down
2) LBJs inexperienced running mates stunk it up

Then why keep those former Champion pedigree vets on the bench??

It was not like Shumpert, Jones, Deladova, and Smith were doing anything great to deserve all the minutes.
If nothing else, they could have came in and started fouling/mugging guys to muck up rhythm.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for sure. The Warriors made a great adjustment.

As you could see- the Cavs were basically blitzing Curry on those pick and rolls, and leaving the roller a wide open lane to the basket and having the help defender come over and get in his way. The roller in those early games either pulled up and took a long two off the dribble, or he took it to the hole and met a Thompson or Mozgov going straight up

Golden State made the adjustment, where that roller would take it strong, and then dish it to the guy the help defender left. It was a great adjustment by the Warriors and Kerr. --- the roller- often times Draymond Green, or Iggy, or Bogut or Ezeli- in the first 2-3 games just did not play great or shoot great. Bogut especially was awful- and Green did not shoot well as the roller..(iggy did)...
The problem in those first 3 games was the Cavs had to only defend Curry in that PnR with Bogut since Bogut really isn't a scorer. Averaging less than 10 points a game isn't a real threat to even the worst defending team. When Kerr made the adjustment of putting Lee in that changed everything. Now, the defense can't double Steph in that PnR with Lee because he's a shooting threat while Lee is a scoring threat in the paint.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The narrative is:

It was not like Shumpert, Jones, Deladova, and Smith were doing anything great to deserve all the minutes.
If nothing else, they could have came in and started fouling/mugging guys to muck up rhythm.
Stubborn coach is all I can think of.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The narrative is:

I haven't seen Perkins lately but he was a running joke of total failure when he was in OKC. Marion and Miller might both be one way players at this point, too.

The media narrative seems to be that Irving and Love being hurt cost the Cavs and that narrative implies that Irving and Love are stars. A bunch of role players aren't beating a team like Golden St.

I think the narrative the Irving and Love significantly help the Cavs is more up for debate because for everything they give on offense might have been taken away by poor pick and roll defense.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Warriors. First title in 40 years which is a the ending of one helluva drought.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,896.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought GS was 1 of the 4-5 teams from the WC I picked to win it all.

:L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The narrative is:

First off...congrats to the GS Warriors and their fans...amazing season!

Watching those games...especially 5 & 6...the narrative is spot on.

Maybe CLE should've lengthen the bench, but I think the result was going to be the same...GS was simply a deeper more talented team...they didn't panic when they got down in the series...Kudos to Kerr for that.

Pre Irving injury I pick CLE in 6, but thought if it went 7 GS would win. With no dog in the fight, I would've like to have seen this series played out at full strength for CLE, but happy to see OAK win a title.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here yoga surfing except for the Air Force part. I had just graduated from HS the year before, just turned 19, and was headed off to college.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe CLE should've lengthen the bench, but I think the result was going to be the same...GS was simply a deeper more talented team...they didn't panic when they got down in the series...Kudos to Kerr for that.

The series changed when KERR admitted he did not know everything and made some changes.

He sent Bogut away, demoted Barnes, ran P&R with Lee, ran more post plays with livingston in the 2nd unit.....

Blatt stubbornly ran the same players and plays over and over.....even when getting blown out essentially for 3 games.

Sure marion, perkins, and Miller probably had nothing left.
But, once you keep falling down by 15+ every 5th quarter, it might not hurt to try them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The series changed when KERR admitted he did not know everything and made some changes.

He sent Bogut away, demoted Barnes, ran P&R with Lee, ran more post plays with livingston in the 2nd unit.....

Blatt stubbornly ran the same players and plays over and over.....even when getting blown out essentially for 3 games.

Sure marion, perkins, and Miller probably had nothing left.
But, once you keep falling down by 15+ every 5th quarter, it might not hurt to try them.

Not pushing back on your point...you're right...make an adjustment is all you're asking. That's what coaches are supposed to do in playoff series...if ain't broke, don't fix it...but if it is broke, do something different.

I just think GS was the deeper and more talent team...and once they took CLE's best blow and came back to win the next on the road, in convincing fashion...they had this one...how often do you get a series MVP performance from a guy that didn't start all of the series games?

CLE HAD to have game 4.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I always look at it, 'Would I rather not make the playoffs or lose in the Finals?'" James said. "I don't know. I don't know. I've missed the playoffs twice. I lost in the Finals four times. It would hurt a lot easier if I just didn't make the playoffs and I didn't have a shot at it.

What does that even mean?

So well spoken...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I always look at it, 'Would I rather not make the playoffs or lose in the Finals?'" James said. "I don't know. I don't know. I've missed the playoffs twice. I lost in the Finals four times. It would hurt a lot easier if I just didn't make the playoffs and I didn't have a shot at it.

What does that even mean?

So well spoken...

*less

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course ESPN puts a link to the Vegas odds for next year on their front page.

The Bricks and Lakers are each 80-1!! get that money in early folks!!

Cavs are 9-4 and Warriors are 5-1......I am not surprised the Cavs are the heavy favorite- I am surprised they are by such a huge margin.....

all though switching out Delly for Kyrie and James Jones for Kevin Love is bound to help a little bit, lol....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 19 years old, serving in the Air Force and stationed in the Philippines the last time they won it, w/ Rick Barry & Co.

I watched a bit of the 1975-1976 finals on TV but was too young and not really following pro sports to really enjoy it. I really got into the Warriors in 1977-1978 which was really the worst time to become a fan. That was the start of their big downfall.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course ESPN puts a link to the Vegas odds for next year on their front page.

The Bricks and Lakers are each 80-1!! get that money in early folks!!

Cavs are 9-4 and Warriors are 5-1......I am not surprised the Cavs are the heavy favorite- I am surprised they are by such a huge margin.....

all though switching out Delly for Kyrie and James Jones for Kevin Love is bound to help a little bit, lol....

Wow lol are they the top 2 favorites?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow lol are they the top 2 favorites?
yah--- no one is even close to the CAvs or Warriors odds wise

next closest is the Clips at 10-1 I think, and Spurs and Bulls at 12-1---

you can get 200-1 on your Charlotte Hornets!

Or 30-1 on the Heat or Pacers!