• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gold Gloves .. can it be quantified?

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Torres got robbed as well. Bourn deserved his.

Cargo had a UZR of -2.7. Victorino's UZR was +2.6. Torres was at +21.2.

I understand that the baseball coaches don't look at sabermetric fielding, but now I'm starting to think they don't watch the games either. Cargo? Seriously? Great offensive year leads to a gold glove? Pathetic.

Btw, here is Jeter at his best defensively.

Jetes.gif

That video is priceless, homeplate Ump in video: "I'm not on your fucking team!"

So Cargo=D, Victorino=B, and Torres=E (wow, he was 1st in every category I listed)
So who are, A, C, and F?

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A= Michael Bourn.

C= Jay Bruce

F= Pat Burrell.

WINNER!

So
Bourn = A
Victorino = B
Bruce = C
Cargo = D
Torres = E
Burrell = F

Ranking these 6 by UZR or UZR/150:
Torres, Bruce, Bourn, Burrell (Rowand and Huff beat them as well), Victorino, Cargo

By Field%:
Torres, Cargo, Victorino, Bourn/Bruce, Burrell

The only categories that Victorino or Cargo beat Torres in is outfield assists, but they each played way more innings than he did.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking at UZR, here's who my NL gold gloves would be from watching with my eyes only:

C - Y. Molina
1B - A. Gonzalez
2B - Utley
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Zimmerman
OF - Bourn
OF - Torres
OF - McCutchen

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without looking at UZR, here's who my NL gold gloves would be from watching with my eyes only:

C - Y. Molina
1B - A. Gonzalez
2B - Utley
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Zimmerman
OF - Bourn
OF - Torres
OF - McCutchen

Well here are my all mlb gold glove winners...after I fed my dog a list with the name of every player in baseball on it and then got my dog so drunk she pukes everywhere and whichever names I can decipher while sifting through the chunks in her vommit I assume are the winners:

C- Mauer
1B- Texeira
2B- Cano
SS- Jeter
3B- Rolen
OF- Gutierrez
OF- Victorino
OF- Cargo

Wait a minute...that can't be a coincidence can it? I think I just figured out how these awards are decided. :eek:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

C - Y. Molina
1B - A. Gonzalez
2B - Utley
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Zimmerman
OF - Bourn
OF - Torres
OF - McCutchen

Here's mine for eyes only

C- Molina
1B-Derrek Lee
2B-Brandon Philips
3B- Scott Rolen
SS-Rollins
OF-Torres
OF-Chris Young
OF-Gwynn Jr.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we put Franchez in the conversation with Phillips and Utley?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's mine for eyes only

C- Molina
1B-Derrek Lee
2B-Brandon Philips
3B- Scott Rolen
SS-Rollins
OF-Torres
OF-Chris Young
OF-Gwynn Jr.

Hey Tidrow, if you don't mind, what would the all UZR GG team be?

EDIT: NL only.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baseball statistics are interpreted wrongly, at all times. As a fan, it bothers me.

I actually believe I can be a GM of the sport just because there are so many people who think they know the sport, but really don't.

Everyone is talking about Derek Jeter, but he's not the only one who undeservingly won the award.

Carlos Gonzalez won the award because of what he did, offensively. Speaking of Carlos Gonzalez, if he keeps it up, he'll quickly become the most overrated player in baseball, soon enough. His offensive #'s this year were a product of Coors Field.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All UZR NL team:
C -- Yadier Molina
1b -- Ike Davis
2b -- Chase Utley
SS -- Brendan Ryan
3b -- Chase Headley
OF -- Andres Torres, Jay Bruce, Michael Bourn

All of this jibes with my gut.

There ya go Filo.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball statistics are interpreted wrongly, at all times. As a fan, it bothers me.

I actually believe I can be a GM of the sport just because there are so many people who think they know the sport, but really don't.

Everyone is talking about Derek Jeter, but he's not the only one who undeservingly won the award.

Carlos Gonzalez won the award because of what he did, offensively. Speaking of Carlos Gonzalez, if he keeps it up, he'll quickly become the most overrated player in baseball, soon enough. His offensive #'s this year were a product of Coors Field.

Ya, CarGo's splits were ridiculously bad. I didn't realize how bad they were until someone on the ESPN Giants board (tzill maybe?) said he was a Coors creation.....I looked it up and those numbers are bad across the board, not just power numbers.

Tulo's home/road splits aren't too bad, especially for a SS. I am biased though, Tulo is my favorite non-Giant.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ya, CarGo's splits were ridiculously bad. I didn't realize how bad they were until someone on the ESPN Giants board (tzill maybe?) said he was a Coors creation.....I looked it up and those numbers are bad across the board, not just power numbers.

Tulo's home/road splits aren't too bad, especially for a SS. I am biased though, Tulo is my favorite non-Giant.

Tulowitzki's a solid hitter and great defender, playing a position filled with mediocre players.

If I were starting a team today, he'd be one of the guys I'd consider picking first.