• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

jmcook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between 15-20 is definitely a good starting spot for Virginia Tech. I'm looking forward to more red zone touchdowns in 2012! I'll even take LT pulling a Tebow and doing a jump pass at the goal line...whatever gets 6!

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson was one of, if not my favorite Hokie of all time, but I have to say, I think our red zone performance will improve with a different type of back next year. From what I've heard, Holmes is more of a bruiser, and that's what you need in the red zone. Also Coleman will be more of a factor in the short passing game, which will also lead to better red zone efficiency

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that our rz offense will be better with a different style back. Wilson aggravated me alot of times with his selfish style running. alot of times i found myself screaming at my tv because he'd run backwards instead of taking what he could get. i know that some of those runs turned into spectacular huge gains..but in the redzone...not the place for that.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
call it a feeling

Good comments .. Just call it a feeling ... but i feel GREAT about next season .. Our D will look to be dominant and deep .. Our offense will be under-rated but good .. The line is the key ..

I'm not worried about RB. We have studs stepping in and it's a natural position that can be owned by a redshirt/true freshman (over any other position on the field IMO).

WRs will be fine, as long as Coles and Davis step it up. Roberts coming back healthy will be a huge plus too.

With LT playing so well this season, expect him to play better next season, us to pass more, and LT to run more (ala Newton/Tebow). I have a good feeling that they will tailor the offense around LT which is a good thing. He is the first QB since MV that I feel could take us all the way. With a strong, deep D and a reasonably fitting schedule, I feel like this next season or the following season are our best shots in the foreseeable future.

What I want to see next season more than anything -- leadership and INTENSITY, on both sides of the ball. I want to see players PUMPED THE HELL UP, not making stupid mistakes, and being CLUTCH. I want to see VT maul over teams that they should and embarrass a few that they shouldn't. Teams, at times, had NO ANSWER for LT this season. We need to use him to keep them on their heels. In our greatest seasons past, most of the pressure always fell on the defense with ZERO offense. Our offense this next season won't be top 10, but it'll be good enough (Bama's was good enough).

LT is clutch. With our defense next season, he should not have to be clutch very often.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our RZ scoring won't improve if the play calling doesn't improve down there. We have a couple monster WRs and we throw 1 fade all season. Let Davis go up and get it against a 5'10" corner. Screens, slants, corner routes and the throws to the flats. Also the deadly stop fade at the front pylon. We have to get better plays called down there for our RZ scoring to work. The jump pass would be money if we could add that play.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think now that lt has a season under his belt..and played so well last season..that ocainspring will open up the playbook for him and let him take the reigns more.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The key to a successful offense next year will be how quickly we establish new starters and back-ups on the offensive line. Andrew Miller (r-Jr.) will be our only returning starter at OC, so we'll need to pull new starting and back-up OGs and OTs from the following returning OLs (new class noted):

Nick Becton r-Sr.
Michael Via r-Sr.
Vinston Painter r-Sr.
David Wang r-Jr.
Matt Arkema r-So.
Kory Gough r-So.
Brent Benedict r-So.
Nick Acree r-So.
Laurence Gibson r-So.
Mark Shuman r-So.
Caleb Farris So.
Jake Goins r-Fr.

New OL Arrivals for 2012 - will probably redshirt:
-----------------------------------------------
Jack Willenbrock
Adam Taraschke
Augie Conte

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that is the case but the thing is we have the plays we need in the book already open to him, they just weren't called. We threw a fade and it was for a TD. We never threw it again... We ran a couple screens but not enough IMO especially against Clemson who was attacking like crazy. I'm not sure about the other routes because I would have to watch film to see if the routes were run and just not open...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becton and Via have seen a good bit of playing time so that will be huge for us after losing 4. Benedict at G I think will work out well. I've heard good things about Wang.

Conte is working things out to and is most likely prepping. I have confirmed that.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Conte is working things out to and is most likely prepping. I have confirmed that.

I think prepping will be a very good thing for Conte...get him used to playing with and against D1 caliber players and allow him to get bigger and stronger.

Aside from the OLs, I think we know WR Thomas Smith is prepping, and that Jerome Wright will also prep or delay his entry to Jan 2013.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played against 2 D1 commits (I think Wake and maybe a BC commit) this year and held his own which is good news. Prepping will still be very beneficial because he is still raw.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to unnecessarily over-hype, so I won't make up an arbitrary achievement... But I absolutely expect to field the best team we've ever suited up in the fall of 2013. LT will be a Senior, we'll have a stable of back with different talents, the line will be working with experience gained from this coming season, and the defense will be INSANE (both Fuller brothers?).

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to unnecessarily over-hype, so I won't make up an arbitrary achievement... But I absolutely expect to field the best team we've ever suited up in the fall of 2013. LT will be a Senior, we'll have a stable of back with different talents, the line will be working with experience gained from this coming season, and the defense will be INSANE (both Fuller brothers?).

And our go-to receivers will be.....

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And our go-to receivers will be.....

The go-to receivers for 2013 will come out of this group:

E.L. Smiling SE 6' 3" 200 4.5 r-Jr.
Demitri Knowles FL 6' 0" 167 4.4 r-So.
Kevin Asante SE 5' 11" 176 4.5 r-So.
Christian Reeves SE 6' 3" 208 4.5 r-So.
Mark Irick 6'3" 185 4.5 r-Fr
Chris Mangus 5'11" 173 4.45 r-Fr.
Thomas Smith 6'3" 215 4.5 Fr
Plus whatever additional WRs sign for the 2012 Class
Plus 2-3 WRs recruited for the 2013 Class.

Smiling, Knowles, Asante, and Reeves will get on-field experience in 2012 and be ready to step-up in 2013. Mangus may also be ready to play by that time.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Willie Byrn? I think he can win the 3rd string flanker job this year.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After losing so many consecutive stud RBs earlier than expected, I really think Frank was truly being honest when he said he's learned to play big-time recruits early (which will also help with future recruiting). While I still expect the average WR to redshirt and learn how to block, true play-makers(Caleb?) will step in and play right away.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think now that lt has a season under his belt..and played so well last season..that ocainspring will open up the playbook for him and let him take the reigns more.

"Ocainspring" has very little to do with whether the playbook will open up for Logan or not. This is all on the head honcho, and from his comments about the Michigan, he certainly doesn't believe playcalling had anything to do with our loss.

NickVT- I agree with you absolutely that playcalling in the redzone is our utmost weakness. Unfortunately, even though we have basically two offensive coordinators, neither one of them are allowed to orchestrate their gameplans in the redzone due to the restrictive nature of our offensive philsophy.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
"Ocainspring" has very little to do with whether the playbook will open up for Logan or not. This is all on the head honcho, and from his comments about the Michigan, he certainly doesn't believe playcalling had anything to do with our loss.

NickVT- I agree with you absolutely that playcalling in the redzone is our utmost weakness. Unfortunately, even though we have basically two offensive coordinators, neither one of them are allowed to orchestrate their gameplans in the redzone due to the restrictive nature of our offensive philsophy.

This^ and I've been saying it for years! That is the reason we look like a different offense once we get inside of the 20. This year we ran a lot of spread which IMO plays to the strengths of our team, but once inside the 20 we go right back into the I form and multi TE looks. If frank wants to run a "power" offense, then he needs to bite the bullet and shit-can Newsome, If not we are better off trying to get these guys in space.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2