• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller is staying at CB. Foster wants both Jarrett and Fuller on the field but feels more comfortable with Fuller at Boundary. They will both take some reps at both positions most likely to give them flexibility.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am friggin excited to see how our defense pans out going into the fall. We have some players and young guys that could step up and be big time players early. We have so many options which is awesome for depth in case of injuries or situational defense. Just pumped up.

Remember the old days when a single injury to a starter would just kill the defense? Love the depth we're building!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Cole at FS. I could see him being a Grimm type player. Nothing flashy but gets it done. I wouldnt mind Fuller at FS because he would be making the calls but i think we need him more at CB.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the old days when a single injury to a starter would just kill the defense?

like hosely going out against clemson and bonner stepping in? the secondary is where we are young and thin right now (in terms of experience), but i am loving the linebacker and line depth.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
like hosely going out against clemson and bonner stepping in? the secondary is where we are young and thin right now (in terms of experience), but i am loving the linebacker and line depth.

Yes, Bonner had his issues on defense, but most of our problems against Clemson were on the offensive side of the ball, especially in the second half:

1 VT25 12:03 PUNT VT24 11:55 FUMB 1--1 0:08
1 VT34 11:13 KO VT49 08:06 PUNT 6-15 3:07
1 VT23 03:30 PUNT CU00 00:44 TD 5-77 2:46

2 VT13 14:16 PUNT VT25 12:01 PUNT 5-12 2:15
2 VT38 07:47 KO VT39 06:47 PUNT 3-1 1:00
2 VT17 03:46 PUNT CU24 00:01 FG 11-59 3:45

Ist Half Summary: 10 pts
- 6 Possessions
- 1 TD + 1 FG + 1 Fumble + 3 Punts

3 VT34 14:54 KO VT27 14:06 PUNT 3--7 0:48
3 VT20 10:45 KO VT17 08:11 PUNT 3--3 2:34
3 VT16 07:54 KO VT13 06:55 PUNT 3--3 0:59
3 VT32 06:13 KO CU30 01:32 DOWNS 10-38 4:41

4 VT18 12:56 KO CU32 09:32 INT 7-50 3:24
4 VT20 07:46 PUNT CU08 04:51 INT 13-72 2:55
4 VT21 01:51 DOWNS VT25 01:04 DOWNS 4-4 0:47

2nd Half Summary: 0 pts.
- 7 Possessions
- 3 Punts + 2 Lost on Downs + 2 INTs

Game Summary: 10 pts.
- 13 Possessions
- 1 TD + 1 FG + 1 Fumble + 2 INTs + 2 Lost on Downs + 6 Punts

Bonner got invaluable game experience last season...he will learn from it and be ready in 2012.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAE is dead on. The injuries on our defense last year gave invaluable game experience to a bunch of guys (Bonner, Jarrett, Maddy, Marshall, Wilson, Tyler, Tweey) and now we have an entire 2 deep D Line with game experience, three players with position flexibility (Fuller, Marshall, Collins) and a couple of new DBs who will not be stepping onto the field for the first time like they would have been this year, one way or another.

Next years defense is deep and experienced, and very fast.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Getting the Tech offense squared away before the Fall will be far more of a challenge for the coaching staff with the loss of 8 starters to graduation and the NFL: 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, and 4 OLs.

* I think RB will be in good shape with Holmes and one or more of the incoming freshmen, Coleman, Mangus, and Harris. I'm thinking Harris may redshirt to ensure that his knee is fully healed.

* Scholarship WRs Davis, Knowles, Roberts, Coles, Asante, Fuller, Reeves, and Smiling will compete for the starting WR jobs. I'm thinking at this point that the 2012 WRs will redshirt, but Stanford may surprise us.

* Malleck, Martin, Redman, and Dunn will compete for the starting TE job. Walkon George will provide depth. 2012 TE Jackson may compete for playing time, but I'm thinking he redshirts.

* Miller will start at OC while scholarship OLs Farris, Arkema, Benedict, Wang, Via, Painter, Shuman, Becton, Gibson, Goins, Gough, and Acree. It's possible a walkon could break into the OL 2-deep but it will be an uphill climb. Incoming 2012 OLs will redshirt.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess going into spring, I would expect to see Davis and Coles starting at WR, with Roberts backing up Davis (at FL) and being the third receiver in 3 WR sets. At this point, I think that Smiling (if healthy) will compete with Reeves for the backup spot at SE, and I think that Coles will explode this season. Our starting 3 are big time players and have made big plays in big games already. After that we get eally young, so I am hoping to see something in the Spring game and hoping for a blowout or two early so these other guys can get on the field.

RB, I agree completely with TAE, Holmes will be our bruiser and either Coleman (most likely) or Mangus will be our change of pace back. I think Homes will be nice to have down inside the ten, especially.

At TE, Martin will be our blocking option though there have been some murmurs that one of our TEs may be moving to OL, and Martin seems to be the only guy in that mold (big w/ two years left). Both Malleck and Redman are explosive weapons and one of them will play a lot this year. My bet is Redman, at this point because he is just plain exlosive, but this will be one of the most fun competitions to watch this spring and both will be really really good, IMO. Having a 6'6' QB throwing it to one of two big TEs that can leap in the red zone has to have Stinespring salivating.

OL, Miller will be our center with Ferris backing up. I like them both and think Miller will be an All-American by his senior year. I would guess Benedict and Wang at the two guard spots and Becton and Painter at the two tackle spots but all of those spots (except center) are open in the Spring. The guard spots are a little easier to predict.

Just my 2 cents......

As far as offensive tFr that may get time, I would guess Coleman and/or Mangus will get time and Stanford and and Caleb have a chance as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess going into spring, I would expect to see Davis and Coles starting at WR, with Roberts backing up Davis (at SE) and being the third receiver in 3 WR sets. At this point, I think that Smiling (if healthy) will compete with Reeves for the backup spot at Fl, and I think that Coles will explode this season. Our starting 3 are big time players and have made big plays in big games already. After that we get eally young, so I am hoping to see something in the Spring game and hoping for a blowout or two early so these other guys can get on the field.

RB, I agree completely with TAE, Holmes will be our bruiser and either Coleman (most likely) or Mangus will be our change of pace back. I think Homes will be nice to have down inside the ten, especially.

At TE, Martin will be our blocking option though there have been some murmurs that one of our TEs may be moving to OL, and Martin seems to be the only guy in that mold (big w/ two years left). Both Malleck and Redman are explosive weapons and one of them will play a lot this year. My bet is Redman, at this point because he is just plain exlosive, but this will be one of the most fun competitions to watch this spring and both will be really really good, IMO. Having a 6'6' QB throwing it to one of two big TEs that can leap in the red zone has to have Stinespring salivating.

OL, Miller will be our center with Ferris backing up. I like them both and think Miller will be an All-American by his senior year. I would guess Benedict and Wang at the two guard spots and Becton and Painter at the two tackle spots but all of those spots (except center) are open in the Spring. The guard spots are a little easier to predict.

Just my 2 cents......

As far as offensive tFr that may get time, I would guess Coleman and/or Mangus will get time and Stanford and and Caleb have a chance as well.

One small thing, but I thought Dyrell was a flanker?

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem.

On the topic of WRs, any idea on how Asante and Knowles are looking? With big guys like Coles and Davis it would be nice to have some speedy guys step up

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem.

On the topic of WRs, any idea on how Asante and Knowles are looking? With big guys like Coles and Davis it would be nice to have some speedy guys step up

Knowles came really really close (like Coles ankle holding up close) to seeing some playng time last year. I have not heard much on Asante. Hopefully they will be discussed in the second part of Andy Bitter's sit down with Stinespring.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my friends said that Dyrell was declaring for the draft, he said his source was ESPN. I was skeptical but has anyone else heard anything of that sort?

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my friends said that Dyrell was declaring for the draft, he said his source was ESPN. I was skeptical but has anyone else heard anything of that sort?

From everything I've heard, Dyrell is excited about coming back next year

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

that would be a pretty big story so if true i'd say it would be out by now.