• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tuesday Top 10: Most intriguing redshirt freshmen

QUOTE:

3-Michael Holmes, Va. Tech, RB: The Hokies lost spectacular David Wilson to the NFL, and his production and tenacity is going to be tough to replace. Holmes is an intriguing option. Unlike a lot of players on this list, he was not a celebrated recruit. Scout.com ranked him as the No. 77 RB in the Class of 2011. ESPN had him as the No. 136 running back. Rivals didn't even rank him among backs, aside from listing him as the No. 25 overall prospect in the state of Virginia. Holmes doesn't have Wilson's explosiveness (almost no other back in college football did) but the 6-1, 200-pounder turned a lot of heads of the defensive coaches and players at Tech with his work on the scout team last fall. His position coach Shane Beamer told me he's just a back who plays really hard, has good vision and has a knack for making plays. Tech seems to have found more than its share of the latter over the past decade or so.

Holmes is actually 5'11", 212 according to the last HokieSports roster. I'll be interested in seeing his new ht/wt when the next roster numbers come out.

By the way, here are his high school stats from his HokieSports profile:

High School: The state Group AA Offensive Player of the Year as a junior and senior by the Associated Press for Coach Tim Sarver … Rushed for 2,877 yards on 372 carries (averaging 7.7 yards per carry) and is the school’s career leader in rushing yards … Scored 41 touchdowns as a senior, scoring a total of 248 points … A first-team Group AA all-state selection at running back by the AP and VirginiaPreps … Rushed for 2,749 yards and 41 touchdowns as a junior … A two-time Region III Player of the Year …

You have to be pretty darn good to rack up 5,626 yards and 82 TDs in just two years.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
**Originally posted this in the off topic thread by accident (thanks for letting me know 46)**

Also I am no offensive guru here, but one thing I don't understand why we and other teams run the ball out of the shotgun around the 5 yard line. There were a handful of times I saw that happen this year with our team (and others) and it never seemed to work.

I definitely agree that we have the tools to really make improvements here. So I am pretty stoked to see how this next year will unfold. Heck, i am just glad we stepped our game up to where we ended up being 35th in total offense.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his stats are unreal, and i remember darren evans have crazy stats out of high school as well. they seem to be similar backs. the question I have is how was he rated so terribly by the recruiting sites? 77th RB?? much worse according to espn, but I dont take any stock with ESPN's services, because espn doesnt put anything into their recruiting stuff.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think RZ effectiveness is going to go up next year, but could see the between the 20s offense taking a small step back. Our offense is going to be taylor made for what Beamer likes to do in the RZ with bigger more athletic receivers, a more effective runner between the tackles, and interior o-lineman that seem to be born and bred for a running back like Holmes. That being said.....the loss of a lot of proven playmakers, David Wilson's effectiveness in space, and good pass protectors, could hurt us between the 20s.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
his stats are unreal, and i remember darren evans have crazy stats out of high school as well. they seem to be similar backs. the question I have is how was he rated so terribly by the recruiting sites? 77th RB?? much worse according to espn, but I dont take any stock with ESPN's services, because espn doesnt put anything into their recruiting stuff.

Just my opinion, nothing else...I think Holmes knew where he was going long before he committed. I think he just shut everybody else down including the recruiting services.

Interesting...I'd forgotten that his Free Rivals profile stated he had 4.47 speed and a 3.57 GPA... Michael Holmes

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think RZ effectiveness is going to go up next year, but could see the between the 20s offense taking a small step back. Our offense is going to be taylor made for what Beamer likes to do in the RZ with bigger more athletic receivers, a more effective runner between the tackles, and interior o-lineman that seem to be born and bred for a running back like Holmes. That being said.....the loss of a lot of proven playmakers, David Wilson's effectiveness in space, and good pass protectors, could hurt us between the 20s.

I think we will have the play makers for between the 20s still. JC Coleman could be electric and our WRs are very dynamic now

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will have the play makers for between the 20s still. JC Coleman could be electric and our WRs are very dynamic now

Yea..... I'm not saying i think that it will be some huge dramatic fall off, just that I'm expecting a slight decline. Our athleticism at WR has taken a big step forward (which will be better for RZ scoring), but the route running and sticky finger prowess of Boykin and Danny shouldn't be underestimated. That plus it's probably going to take a good 4-5 games for the OL to officially gel together, might put a high burden on a r-freshman RB. Coleman could very well be a big time contributor this year, but i tend to try not to pass judgment on true freshman before the spring.....to many variables at work.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Bitter @AndyBitterVT
Bud Foster mentioned it, but Torrian Gray confirms it to Frank Beamer's website that Kyshoen Jarrett will try free safety this spring.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Going to be some heavy competition for starting and back-up jobs at Free Safety, Rover, and Whip this coming Spring and Fall practice.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow.....I really liked Jarrett as a cornerback, but ok.....

Me too, but maybe this is an attempt to get the best players out there ASAP. I personally thought a secondary of Exum, Vandyke, Fuller, Bonner, and Jarrett was the best option for us, but I'm definitely not a coach haha so what do i know.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am friggin excited to see how our defense pans out going into the fall. We have some players and young guys that could step up and be big time players early. We have so many options which is awesome for depth in case of injuries or situational defense. Just pumped up.

Cole FS or a Rover?

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems as though the depth that is being built at defense will only allow for a lot of these players (unless they're just THAT good or we're thin at the position) to start for a few years. Nothing new for us at times and nothing new for teams known for great defense. What I think is great are a few of these players who, over the course of a year or two, learn how to play multiple positions. It really gives Bud great options and gives us great depth all around. It's one of the great things about this style of defense

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole - FS, second on depth chart behind Jarrett

It does not really bode well for Dew, but remember, JGW may not be back and Tweedy is a senior. That Linsfranc fracture is a tough tough injury. Also Patterson is gone. McKinnon is a future Whip as well but Dew will get at least one more full camp and season to emerge.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill be a little worried if we move jarrett to backup fs and fuller to starting fs. that would leave bonner and ? at corner. doesnt sound too strong to me.