• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GNT: Senators at Bruins | 11/01 | 7:00pm ET

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DM_032908_NHL_SENATORS_BRUINS_NEW.jpg

SENATORS (7-5-0) at BRUINS (3-7-0)
12 GP 10
7 W 3
5 L 7
0 OT 0
14 P 6
0.583 P% 0.300
3.00 G/G 2.10
3.75 GA/G 2.50
31.0 PP% 12.8
71.9 PK% 85.4
31.2 S/G 33.4
30.4 SA/G 29.7
50.7 FO% 53.7

--------------------------------------

Season Series:
First of six meetings between these Northeast Division rivals. The Bruins went 5-1 against the Senators in 2010-11, shut them out three times (two by Tim Thomas, one by Tuukka Rask) and allowed just 5 goals total in the series. Patrice Bergeron, Nathan Horton and Brad Marchand led Boston with 3 goals apiece. Bobby Butler had 2 goals to pace Ottawa.

Big Story:
It's only the beginning of November, but the Senators could open up a double-digit lead on the Bruins in the standings with a regulation win Tuesday. Such a scenario seemed unfathomable at the start of the season, and even more so after Ottawa started out by dropping five of its first six games. However, six straight wins have followed, while Boston still hasn't been able to shake out of its doldrums and sits last in the Eastern Conference.

Team Scope:

Senators:
In order to extend its winning streak to match the franchise's longest since the end of the 2009-10 season, Ottawa had to dispose of a Northeast rival and fellow Canadian team that is off to an unexpectedly fast start in Toronto. The first-place Maple Leafs got the opening goal in Sunday's battle, but the Senators reeled off scores by Colin Greening, Chris Neil and Kaspars Daugavins, then held on behind Robin Lehner's 22 saves for a 3-2 victory.

"I think our team has showed a lot of resiliency and character through the 12 games we've played," first-year coach Paul MacLean said. "We've handled adversity, we've faced adversity, we've caused our own adversity, we've kind of been up and down the hill, but it's all a learning process and we know that at some point in time it's going to come to an end, then we're going to have to get back on the horse and do it again."

"But right now our team is working consistently very hard and working consistently for 60 minutes and when you do that in this League, good things happen."

Bruins:
There was hope in Boston that the team had turned the corner after the offense erupted for a 6-2 win over Toronto on Oct. 20, but since then the Bruins have been outscored 10-5 in dropping three straight -- including a home-and-home to their Original Six rivals, the Canadiens. They followed up a 2-1 loss on home ice Thursday with a 4-2 defeat in Montreal on Saturday. The following day, Bergeron and fellow alternate captains Andrew Ference and Chris Kelly addressed the media.

"Obviously we can’t be happy with the record," Bergeron said. "We don't want to feel sorry for ourselves and we know that we put ourselves in this situation and we have to get out of it.

"It's about being desperate to find some urgency to do it. We're not happy with it, but that being said we've got to find a way to get out of it and to work through it and it's not going to happen overnight. It's a process where you have to work at it and realize that we can all be better."

Who's Hot:
Greening has 2 goals and 2 assists during a four-game points streak for the Senators. Neil has goals in consecutive games. Sergei Gonchar has 7 assists during a five-game points streak. Erik Karlsson has 4 assists during a three-game points streak. … Seguin has 3 goals and 2 assists in the last four games for the Bruins. Bergeron has 2 goals and 2 assists during a four-game points streak.

Injury Report:
Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson (head) missed Sunday's game. Goalie Alex Auld (undisclosed), defenseman Matt Carkner (knee) and forward Peter Regin (shoulder) are on injured reserve. … Boston forward Benoit Pouliot (illness) is day-to-day.

Stat Pack:
The Senators used four different goaltenders against the Bruins last season. Lehner and Craig Anderson each lost their only starts. … Boston has scored two goals or fewer in seven of its last eight games and eight of 10 this season.

Puck Drop:
Lehner recorded his first win of the season and second career, while Daugavins picked up his first NHL goal and point against Toronto.

"I didn't have much to do," Lehner told the Ottawa Citizen. "The guys did such a good job in front of me. It always takes a little bit of practice time when you go from the AHL up to the NHL because it's different shots and different speeds, but I just tried to do my best, and I'm happy with the win."

Added Daugavins: "Obviously it helped the team a lot to score that goal. I was lucky to score it and help the team win the game. It's going to be a lifetime memory and it's good to have a win over the Maple Leafs."

Daugavins will have to take the memory back down to the minors for now, though, as he was reassigned to Binghamton on Monday.

Time to turn this season around!
lgblg-text.png

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of practicing on Sunday, the Bruins all studied mistakes from video footage...

Bruins study mistakes on video - bruins blog - Boston Globe hockey news

Instead of practicing today, the Bruins had a video session to identify their many shortcomings. (No truth to the rumor the session lasted longer than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.)

"A lot of times players don't think they're as bad as they are until they see it," Claude Julien said. "When they see it, it kind of opens their eyes. We've attacked different areas at times and showed them. Today was more of the whole package. That's why we kept our whole day on video more than on practice. They need to realize it before they can do something about it."

The Bruins don't need video to show how inept they are offensively. But they need reminders of how uncharacteristically sloppy they've been defensively. The defensemen have been all over the place. Wings haven't been collapsing. Forwards haven't come back hard enough for the puck.

Because of those defensive problems, the Bruins are like five players in five cabs going the other way. Instead of attacking as a five-man unit, their transition game is suffering.

"It's just getting back to our work ethic, our structure, and doing what made us successful," Chris Kelly said.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected Lineups:

Bruins:
Brad Marchand | Patrice Bergeron (A) | Tyler Seguin
Milan Lucic | David Krejci | Nathan Horton
Jordan Caron | Chris Kelly | Rich Peverley
Daniel Paille | Greg Campbell | Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara (C) | Dennis Seidenberg
Andrew Ference (A) | Johnny Boychuk
Joe Corvo | Adam McQuaid

Healthy Scratches: Steve Kampfer

Senators:
Colin Greening | Jason Spezza (A) | Milan Michalek
Nick Foligno | Stephane Da Costa | Bobby Butler
Kaspars Daugavins | Zack Smith | Chris Neil
Erik Condra | Jesse Winchester | Nikita Filatov

Chris Phillips (A) | David Rundblad
Filip Kuba | Erik Karlsson
Sergei Gonchar | Jared Cowen

Healthy Scratches: Brian Lee, Zenon Konopka

Key Players:

milan-lucic.jpg

Milan Lucic
10 GP - 3 G - 4 A - 7 pts., +2 - 16:08 ATOI

Milan-Michalek-scores-miraculous-game-winner-for-Ottawa-Senators-over-Columbus-Blue-Jackets-4-3-cy2zghcp024od2jl4ekvgpxn-.jpg

Milan Michalek
12 GP - 8 G - 5 A - 13 pts., -2 - 20:02 ATOI​

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never-give-up Senators riding six-game winning streak

The Senators just weren't listening, weren't reading.

Either that, or they simply didn't pay attention to the dire predictions that they didn't have enough proven NHL talent to score goals, and were destined to finish at or near the bottom of the Eastern Conference.

Yes, it's early, but with a month in the books, those supposed cellar dwellers are 7-5-0, fourth in the east, heading to Boston with a six-game winning streak on the strength of such scoring none of the NHL experts imagined. With 39 goals in 12 games, Ottawa is among the league leaders in goals for and no wonder.

Defenceman Erik Karlsson leads all NHL players with 12 assists. Centre Jason Spezza has 15 points, tied for second overall behind Phil Kessel's 18. Milan Michalek has eight goals, tied for third best behind Kessel's 10.

How did this happen? After some early blowouts, the young Senators (with five to six rookies on many nights) have settled in to head coach Paul MacLean's system of tenacious skating and checking to remain competitive game after game.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not going to put any effort into doing these GNT's....I'm going to start deleting them. :evil:

Damn man...save some for the next game will ya?? lol

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a lot of copy and paste work... I just spruce it up. ;)

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Looks reeeal good man. Nice work.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work JS.

Good luck tonight.

With that out of the way I hope my guys rip off yours' heads and shit down their necks!!

GO_SENS_GOhires_fs.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the words of the great Bossman... Good luck to you and your team as well KB, but not tonight. :yo:

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what team to pull for here. I know the Bruins will get it going soon and not sure if the Sens will keep it up.

The NE division is turning out to be a damn tough division.

Edit: Good job on the OP Jeff.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, looks like I am going to miss this game (work related), this means the Bruins win. Later people, and GO BRUINS!

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lurking, just gotta run next door to my neighbors house for a few min.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much shit people say about Jack Edwards i love hearing him call a fight. He gets into it...

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much shit people say about Jack Edwards i love hearing him call a fight. He gets into it...

Jack's a homer, that's for sure, but Bruins fans love him. He is a funny SOB

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLEASE Mr Smith, start a fight with McQuaid. Nope, the pussy goes for the smaller Campbell.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:whoo: :dance: :heh: :whoo:

Sweet. Needed that win, cant wait to watch the replay.