• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants General Thoughts

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on all points. What I was concerned about were these two scenarios:

1. He gets hurt and misses significant time. A risk for all contracts but I thought a more than small risk at the time for Gaus.
2. He accumulates a nice couple years of WAR (say 4.0 this year and next) and then, in his mid 30s, becomes ineffective. You are on the hook for 24M/24M/23M of essentially "dead money"

I mean, grab the bag Kevin. By all means. It was just too much risk for me.
That’s always the fear for longer contracts. You just hope the player accumulates his contracts-worth of WAR in the front years of the deal. At that point, the back end is REALLY just deferred money.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s always the fear for longer contracts. You just hope the player accumulates his contracts-worth of WAR in the front years of the deal. At that point, the back end is REALLY just deferred money.
A very valid way of looking at it. You underpay at the beginning to overpay at the end.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be okay if the Giants signed him for the league minimum for the rest of the season. Just to see if he's got anything left. Other than Joey Marciano, I don't see any bullpen help in AAA (I don't think Dabovich is ready and Waites is not nearly blue chip enough to skip AAA to the big leagues).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bum at the under-the-radar top 10 pitcher tonight.

I'm thinking there's GOT to be a way to bring Bum back to finish his career here. He makes $23M next year and $14M in his final year (2024). Maybe we could trade for him next offseason? Or would FZ be opposed b/c he's not his draftee?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bum at the under-the-radar top 10 pitcher tonight.

I'm thinking there's GOT to be a way to bring Bum back to finish his career here. He makes $23M next year and $14M in his final year (2024). Maybe we could trade for him next offseason? Or would FZ be opposed b/c he's not his draftee?
I get the feeling that there is not a sentimental bone in FZ's body. Polar opposite of Sabean in that regard.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that there is not a sentimental bone in FZ's body. Polar opposite of Sabean in that regard.
probably right.

Madison Bumgarner does not pitch for the Giants anymore but the spirit of the 2022 Giants haunts him as he has had one of the worst defenses (-8 OAA, 3rd-worst in MLB) behind him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A decade ago today, Melky Cabrera was leading MLB in hits and runs scored ... and he got suspended for PEDs. I'm still waiting for the items I ordered off his web site. Terrible customer service!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder that if we sneak into the playoffs as the #6 seed, we'd be playing three games in STL in the first round.

I'd like our chances. I do not like our chance to pass the Brewers and Phillies.

But, ya never know.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it’s still too early to have that hope again. It’s been a long three months. But the Giants are now two games over .500, and their expected record is right there with the other fringe postseason contenders. Their Pythagorean record doesn’t look out of place compared to the Rays, Mariners, Guardians, Blue Jays, Orioles, Twins, Phillies, Padres and Brewers. All the Giants need to catch up is an extended run of nonsense.

I'm here for the nonsense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun factlets from the history of come-from-behind walk-offs to hammer this point home:

• There have been just 29 in the history of the San Francisco Giants.

• There were just two in the entire 1990s.

• There were just two in the entire 2010s, postseason included.

• There have been three in the last 33 days.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it’s still too early to have that hope again. It’s been a long three months. But the Giants are now two games over .500, and their expected record is right there with the other fringe postseason contenders. Their Pythagorean record doesn’t look out of place compared to the Rays, Mariners, Guardians, Blue Jays, Orioles, Twins, Phillies, Padres and Brewers. All the Giants need to catch up is an extended run of nonsense.

I'm here for the nonsense.
Here's to the nonsense. :suds:

Knock on Wood (pun intended), our starters are looking more solid 1-5, so we won't have to exhaust our bullpen.

Doval is hitting a groove, and we need some of the others in the pen to fall in line. Brebbia and Garcia have shown promise to be at least consistent.

We are getting contributions from some of the veterans who have been underperforming, like Craw, Belt, Wade, and Longo. Bart seems to have "got it". Yaz needs to get it back. Our WC years generally did not have superstar hitters, but we had no holes. That's the goal.

Let's see if Rodon can show he can deliver in a big game tonight.

And, just a hunch, a big part of defense in any sport is just digging deep and giving a shit like it matters. Well, now it matters.

Oh, and we inched up to 7.5% probability of making the playoffs.

One day at a time. One play at a time.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it feels like the SFGiants defense has looked better recently, the defensive metrics agree with your observation. Below is a breakdown of the team defense by OAA by month.
March/April: -1 OAA
May: -13 OAA
June: -15 OAA
July: 0 OAA
August: -1 OAA

As bad as the Giants have been with the mittfuckery, league average defense (or close to it) is a huge improvement over what we saw earlier in the year.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it mentioned here, but Tim Lincecum's wife, Cristin Coleman, died of breast cancer June 27. Just announced now?