• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants General Thoughts

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is his argument. And his comp is Jack Morris.

He just doesn’t have the regular season success, imho.

Jack Morris pitched 18 years and won 254 games. From 1979-1992 he averaged 225+ innings per season, and 26 starts per season. He was a 5 time all star. He was 7-4 in 13 post season appearances, and was World Series MVP in 1991 for the Twinkies. Total 43.5 WAR.

MadBum has pitched 14 years and won 133 games. He was a 4 time all star and his WS exploits are legendary. Not sure it is enough for the HOF, though. He was 8-3 in 16 post season appearances (with an ERA of 2.11). He was NCLS and WS MVP in 2014. Total 39.9 WAR

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Morris pitched 18 years and won 254 games. From 1979-1992 he averaged 225+ innings per season, and 26 starts per season. He was a 5 time all star. He was 7-4 in 13 post season appearances, and was World Series MVP in 1991 for the Twinkies. Total 43.5 WAR.

MadBum has pitched 14 years and won 133 games. He was a 4 time all star and his WS exploits are legendary. Not sure it is enough for the HOF, though. He was 8-3 in 16 post season appearances (with an ERA of 2.11). He was NCLS and WS MVP in 2014. Total 39.9 WAR
That’s kinda my point. Bum’s resume is post season hero with moderate regular season success. Morris’ resume is post season hero with MORE moderate regular season success, and he considered a VERY borderline HOFer. Bum comes to the window with a lesser resume than Morris, and Morris BARELY got in. Bum falls short, imho.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s kinda my point. Bum’s resume is post season hero with moderate regular season success. Morris’ resume is post season hero with MORE moderate regular season success, and he considered a VERY borderline HOFer. Bum comes to the window with a lesser resume than Morris, and Morris BARELY got in. Bum falls short, imho.

Ok, but Bum's career isn't over. Also, can't compare pitchers from different eras and take wins as meaning that much. Different game now. WAR is a pretty good indicator and likely Bum surpasses Morris.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but Bum's career isn't over. Also, can't compare pitchers from different eras and take wins as meaning that much. Different game now. WAR is a pretty good indicator and likely Bum surpasses Morris.
Possible. If he does make it, it will be a “bs induction” and everyone will complain. Much as I did when Morris was enshrined. IMHO, he didn’t meet the min requirement. Since I see Bum and Morris as very comparable, I want to be consistent. As it stands now, for me, Bum is not a HOFer.

I am ROOTING for him to make it. I hope I am wrong. But imho, he is just shy.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how many games y'all end up winning....but I do wish and I'd really like it if you could TCOB against the Phils, Dodgers & Braves by winning all those series' with them in September...especially the Braves.

If that can be done....I'll definitely add you to my Xmas list.

TiA.

Peace/Out

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how many games y'all end up winning....but I do wish and I'd really like it if you could TCOB against the Phils, Dodgers & Braves by winning all those series' with them in September...especially the Braves.

If that can be done....I'll definitely add you to my Xmas list.

TiA.

Peace/Out
I'm sorry I don't believe we'll be able to help you very much at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ drafts…

Bishop - bust?
Wyatt - bust?
McCray - borderline prospect
No other recognizable names

Abbreviated draft, but looks good for the Giants. Bailey is a borderline prospect for a 1st rounder. But Dabovich (4th rounder) will likely be the first to the bigs from this class. Harrison is one of the best prospects in the game. Murphy and Swiney are working their way. Glowenke is starting to have a bit of a bust stank on him. Auerbach was a NDFA from this class.

Bednar is looking OK in SJ, but isn’t really turning anyone’s head. Mason Black is showing some promise. Vaun Brown is having a HUGE breakout season, similar to what we saw from Belt 12 years ago.

Not going to talk about the ‘22 draft yet. That would tell us nothing.

so out of 3 drafts, we have no help to the majors yet, but 1 blue chipper (Harrison) and one potential diamond in the rough (Brown). Dabovich looks like he may be a nice mid reliever as soon as this year.

Riht now, that looks like about all we got. Of course it is still too early to write off Bailey or Bednar, but I think it isn’t unfair to move Bishop to org depth (and maybe be pleasantly surprised). The rest are all lotto tix.

Note: To be fair, we should look at international signees as well. But remember that Luciano and Matos were hold overs from the previous regime.

i don’t really see any major prospects coming from the international market yet, but these guys tend to pop up pretty quick with little fan fair, so I can’t really judge this.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ drafts…

Bishop - bust?
Wyatt - bust?

Abbreviated draft, but looks good for the Giants. Bailey is a borderline prospect for a 1st rounder. But Dabovich (4th rounder) will likely be the first to the bigs from this class. Harrison is one of the best prospects in the game. Murphy and Swiney are working their way. Glowenke is starting to have a bit of a bust stank on him. Auerbach was a NDFA from this class.

Bednar is looking OK in SJ, but isn’t really turning anyone’s head. Mason Black is showing some promise. Vaun Brown is having a HUGE breakout season, similar to what we saw from Belt 12 years ago.

so out of 3 drafts, we have no help to the majors yet, but 1 blue chipper (Harrison) and one potential diamond in the rough (Brown). Dabovich looks like he may be a nice mid reliever as soon as this year.

Riht now, that looks like about all we got. Of course it is still too early to write off Bailey or Bednar, but I think it isn’t unfair to move Bishop to org depth (and maybe be pleasantly surprised). The rest are all lotto tix.

Note: To be fair, we should look at international signees as well. But remember that Luciano and Matos were hold overs from the previous regime.

i don’t really see any major prospects coming from the international market yet, but these guys tend to pop up pretty quick with little fan fair, so I can’t really judge this.

Wow! I still have high hopes for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His peripherals are OK, but he was drafted due to his proximity to the bigs, and he is still in low A at the end of his first full season. And he isnt blowing the league out of the water. He is FAR from falling into the “bust” category, but he isn’t a top prospect at this point, imho

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His peripherals are OK, but he was drafted due to his proximity to the bigs, and he is still in low A at the end of his first full season. And he isnt blowing the league out of the water. He is FAR from falling into the “bust” category, but he isn’t a top prospect at this point, imho
Agreed.

After that CWS he had my expectations(maybe everyone's) were/are very high. Probably unfair to him for now.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ drafts…

Bishop - bust?
Wyatt - bust?

Bishop still has a chance and has started playing better now that he is healthy.

Glowenke, if I remember, was questionable the day the Giants announced they drafted him. It was puzzling that he was picked that high.
The problem with the 2020 draft is that it was so shortened that NDFAs are not the typical NDFAs. They are more likely 6th to 10th round picks but there is no way to know if Auerbach would have been the Giant's 6th round pick, the 10th round pick or somewhere in between.

Bednar has been on the IL for some time and I'm not sure he will pitch again this season.

The international signees that have made it to San Jose really haven't stood out yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time we had a scheduled Friday off day? This is weird.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible. If he does make it, it will be a “bs induction” and everyone will complain. Much as I did when Morris was enshrined. IMHO, he didn’t meet the min requirement. Since I see Bum and Morris as very comparable, I want to be consistent. As it stands now, for me, Bum is not a HOFer.

I am ROOTING for him to make it. I hope I am wrong. But imho, he is just shy.
He'd be much more HOF-worthy if he picks up 200 saves for us in the next 5 years.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he could help fill in at 3rd seeing as Longo will likely be gone.
Tough for a lefty, but he could probably learn to throw righty.

As long as he gets on base.

moneyball_06-752x501.jpg

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If J.D. Davis were that big of a bodger fan he would've retired when he got traded to us ...