• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gerald McCoy signs a 7 year 98 million dollar deal

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- because I'm sure you are breaking down game film while watching the Bucs every Sunday to make the type of comment you did.

Since you want to pass me glasses -- tell me how many TB games have you watched from start to finish, not including the one game against the Lions, in the last two years?

Are you breaking down Bucs games?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two years -- McCoy has been as good as any DT in the game. He has always been good against the run, but the last two years -- he has improved vastly in rushing the passer (finishing with more sacks than Suh)

Coming into this year -- Pretty much every sports publication had McCoy rated as the #1 DT, Suh as the #2 DT. To say either player couldn't hold the others jock is ridiculous, if you ask me.

As far as disappearing -- it happens to every DT. That is the nature of the position. Suh averaged about 2.5 tackles last year with 5.5 sacks. McCoy averaged a little over 3 tackles a game with 9.5 sacks. Neither huge numbers, but that is what you get from the DT position. You may have games where they 5 tackles or you may get games where you get 1 tackle. They were both 1st team all-pro DT's.

With the whole money talk. If McCoy hadn't already been paid a monster contract -- remember -- he was drafted 3rd overall when the rookie contracts were absurd, like Suh. So he already has more money than he could ever spend.

People think that McCoy is more technically sound than Suh. That he uses his hands better, shuffles his feet better. It's an argument to have. But at the end of the day there is something that Suh does very steady, that McCoy doesn't, and is the main job of the DT: cause havoc in the opponent's offensive backfield.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say I'll pass you some glasses instead. But you'd just use them to read the stat sheet.

BURN.gif

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the Big 3 Auto companies don't have pretty deep sponsorship pockets. If Suh leaves Chrysler will have to drop him like a hot potato. Of course, Buick didn't drop Tiger, so you never know how stupid the guys at the top can be.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you breaking down Bucs games?

Absolutely not. The only TB game I've watched is when they played the Lions. I'm also not the person who made the statement -- McCoy couldn't hold Suh's jock though.

I do read up on the vast majority of teams and players before the season starts, as I feel it helps me in my fantasy leagues and also it makes the game more enjoyable when watching if you know about teams strengths and weaknesses.

That being said -- Every major publication I read had McCoy rated as the #1 DT coming into the season, including the NFL's own site -- MCoy was rated #28 overall in the top 100, with Suh was rated 40th overall in the top 100. They were #1 and #2 at their position. Everything I read had them rated that way.

Would I personally trade Suh for McCoy? No -- Suh is my favorite player on the Lions and I wouldn't trade him for any other DT if he would re-sign.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People think that McCoy is more technically sound than Suh. That he uses his hands better, shuffles his feet better. It's an argument to have. But at the end of the day there is something that Suh does very steady, that McCoy doesn't, and is the main job of the DT: cause havoc in the opponent's offensive backfield.

That is basically what I've read. They said Suh was the better pass rusher, McCoy was better against the run. The last two years -- McCoy has added rushing the passer to his resume, as he has more sacks than Suh over the last two years.

Both are phenomal players, which is why they were both 1st team all-pro last year. Saying either player couldn't hold the other's jock is non-sense.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not. The only TB game I've watched is when they played the Lions. I'm also not the person who made the statement -- McCoy couldn't hold Suh's jock though.

I do read up on the vast majority of teams and players before the season starts, as I feel it helps me in my fantasy leagues and also it makes the game more enjoyable when watching if you know about teams strengths and weaknesses.

That being said -- Every major publication I read had McCoy rated as the #1 DT coming into the season, including the NFL's own site -- MCoy was rated #28 overall in the top 100, with Suh was rated 40th overall in the top 100. They were #1 and #2 at their position. Everything I read had them rated that way.

Would I personally trade Suh for McCoy? No -- Suh is my favorite player on the Lions and I wouldn't trade him for any other DT if he would re-sign.

PFF has McCoy ranked #1 DT in the NFL this year, and last year. Year before i think McCoy was 2nd to Atkins. McCoy is widely regarded as the best DT in the NFL by people who aren't Lions or Bucs fans.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF has McCoy ranked #1 DT in the NFL this year, and last year. Year before i think McCoy was 2nd to Atkins. McCoy is widely regarded as the best DT in the NFL by people who aren't Lions or Bucs fans.

Blasphemy. It is quite obvious the opinion of a Lions fan, who I would wager has watched the Bucs as much as I have, is much more well versed on who the best DT in the NFL is. :L

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's your problem. Once you quit depending on Pete Prisco for your insight, your game will rise dramatically.

Should have quit while you were ahead. First one was funny. Second one was a poor attempt at humor.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is basically what I've read. They said Suh was the better pass rusher, McCoy was better against the run. The last two years -- McCoy has added rushing the passer to his resume, as he has more sacks than Suh over the last two years.

Both are phenomal players, which is why they were both 1st team all-pro last year. Saying either player couldn't hold the other's jock is non-sense.

Obviously I wasn't the one who said he couldn't hold Suh's jock but regardless of what talking heads say, he's simply not as good as Suh. Not as a pass rusher or a run stuffer. I get that he has more sacks but you look at Detroit's defense last year even with all the high picks and no one was really getting the sacks they should have. The Bucs defense overall was playing better than the Lions. I know I'm a little biased but I watch at least some of the Bucs game every weekend and trust me on this, McCoy simply doesn't blow up guards and centers the way Suh does. He doesn't strike fear the way Suh does. And if Suh didn't have the rep as such a douche, I doubt that he would have been voted lower than McCoy by his peers. What McCoy lacks mostly is the nasty. If he had the disposition that Suh has he might be as good or even better but he's kind of a clown, he's too affable to be as good as Suh is.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 weeks of being called soft all over Tampa Bay, being called a weak leader, he finally spoke up last week and defended himself. He spoke about how soft the team has played and how he hasn't been very good himself this season and needs to play better. So whoever is saying he's the best DT this year thus far, you may never want to look to them for a decent opinion again! And as I said before the game, he got paid and barely shows up on the stat sheets this week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he got paid and barely shows up on the stat sheets this week.

this is what i don't get. he already signed a 63 million dollar contract as a rookie. what does getting paid have to do with anything? he is already filthy rich and had more money than he will ever spend in his lifetime. this next contract doesn't change his lifestyle at all.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So whoever is saying he's the best DT this year thus far, you may never want to look to them for a decent opinion again

I don't think anyone said he or anyone else were the best DT this year. It is way too early to be talking about the best of anything right now. Only thing mentioned was coming into this year, McCoy was rated as the #1 DT.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 weeks of being called soft all over Tampa Bay, being called a weak leader

Seems like a very strange time to sign a guy to a monster extension -- wonder why they went thru with it right now, with all that going on?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what i don't get. he already signed a 63 million dollar contract as a rookie. what does getting paid have to do with anything? he is already filthy rich and had more money than he will ever spend in his lifetime. this next contract doesn't change his lifestyle at all.

Do you know any rich people? Do they not always want more? Most of them will slice up their mothers for a few more bucks. Not saying McCoy's mom is in danger of course but how many guys in sports have we seen dog it after they get paid?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone said he or anyone else were the best DT this year. It is way too early to be talking about the best of anything right now. Only thing mentioned was coming into this year, McCoy was rated as the #1 DT.

Pretty sure someone wrote that PFF has him rated #1 last year and so far this year.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a very strange time to sign a guy to a monster extension -- wonder why they went thru with it right now, with all that going on?

Weak leader or not, he's the face of the franchise. A franchise that's reeling right now. They #1 couldn't chance him walking away in the offseason. I don't think he would but they needed to get him locked up. #2 they needed some good PR. No, McCoy's not playing as well as he's capable of but he's still their best player and as embarrassing as they've been, they needed some positive headlines. That's my theories at least.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weak leader or not, he's the face of the franchise. A franchise that's reeling right now. They #1 couldn't chance him walking away in the offseason. I don't think he would but they needed to get him locked up. #2 they needed some good PR. No, McCoy's not playing as well as he's capable of but he's still their best player and as embarrassing as they've been, they needed some positive headlines. That's my theories at least.

Mccoy is a nice player and all but I agree. Nowhere near Suh's level. Suh has made 3 all pro teams in 4 years and is bound to make his 4th out of 5. It took Mccoy a bit to become dominant while Suh was an immediate star. Also, which I haven't heard anybody on here talk about is "marketable". Mccoy definitely can't hold Suh's jock strap when it comes to selling tickets or jerseys.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have quit while you were ahead. First one was funny. Second one was a poor attempt at humor.

Mmmmkay. If you want to gather your insight from people whose main job is garnering hits on a website instead of watching and forming your own opinions, have at it.