• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Levon Signs With Jets

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le’Veon Bell signs with New York Jets

GettyImages-632618852-e1552473588500.jpg

By Manish Mehta |
PUBLISHED: March 13, 2019 at 2:40 am | UPDATED: March 13, 2019 at 7:10 am

The Jets have landed the biggest fish in free agency.

Gang Green agreed to a four-year, $52.5 million deal with superstar running back Le’Veon Bell just after midnight Wednesday, according to sources. The pact includes $35 million in guarantees.

“I’m back in green baby,” Bell tweeted, referencing his days in Michigan State green. “Let’s get it.”

There’s no reason to sugarcoat it: This was a coup for Christopher Johnson, Mike Maccagnan and Adam Gase, who got one of the game’s biggest difference makers at a fair cost.

In fact, some might say that Gang Green got a relative bargain for a player looking for much more loot after sitting out the entire 2018 season in Pittsburgh after refusing to play on the $14.5 million franchise tag.

The Daily News first reported Tuesday that Gang Green made a best and final offer, before making it clear they would give Bell a short time to mull it over before they moved on to Plan B. (The Jets had been used as nothing more than leverage by free agents in the recent past.)

Bell’s market wasn’t nearly as robust as he had hoped in the run-up to free agency. He turned down a five-year, $70 million deal for the Steelers after the 2017 season because he deemed it a lack of sufficient true guaranteed money.

Regardless, the Jets just got a dynamic weapon for Sam Darnold, who could take his game to the next level with a game changer like Bell in the backfield.

Bell’s arrival should electroshock an offense that languished near the bottom of most statistical categories last season. The three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro is far more than just a running back. His pass-catching skills are reminiscent of a receiver. Gase should be able to deploy him in myriad ways to maximize his skillset.

“When he steps foot in this building, you’re going to get 100 percent from the guy,” free-agent defensive lineman Steve McLendon told the Daily News about his former Steelers teammate in December. “If anybody gets them on their team, they’re going to get a hell of a player. Just know that he’s going to bring the best out of so many people. Just imagine: He’d be the Jamal Adams on offense. Loud. Energetic. Confident… And he’s going to make plays.”

Adams left no secret this offseason that he was recruiting Bell to join the Jets, repeatedly sending public messages on social media and even sitting down with Bell’s agent and his own agent for an informal pow-wow at the Pro Bowl.

Bell is a game-wrecker in every imaginable way. He’s the first player in league history with 4,000 rushing yards and 2,000 receiving yards in his first 50 games. His patient running style has turned him into arguably the best player at his position.

“I thought he was a great teammate,” left tackle Kelvin Beachum, who spent three seasons with Bell in Pittsburgh, told the News in December. “He came to work. He did support his guys both in the locker room and outside the locker room. I have the utmost respect for him. He’s a great phenomenal worker and brings people along with him.”

“I think he has a desire to prove people wrong that say that he took this year off and then he’s going to shut it down (after getting paid),” Beachum added. “I think he has even more of a chip on his shoulder to actually go and do something… He’s already done something that (few) have ever done. Now to come back to do something that’s never been done: take a year off and really have that super type of year. That’s the type of mindset that he has… instead of, ‘Well, I got my money, so I’m going to shut it down.’”

There were fair concerns on One Jets Drive about the 27-year-old Bell’s wear and tear (1,635 career touches in 66 games), two league suspensions and motivation to play after landing a big payday, but team brass ultimately concluded that the benefits outweighed the risks.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Jets have a massive amount of cap space so ........

Might be their turning point from futility.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Jets have a massive amount of cap space so ........

Might be their turning point from futility.

until he is tested tomorrow and hits the banned list again

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch him go down with a hammy week one. Futility continues.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just... don't see this. A variety of sites have raved about this signing and I get you want to help Darnold, but let's list the issues with Bell that I have:

1) Out of shape (evident by pictures),
2) Ran behind a top 5 OL with a HOF QB. Going to a bottom 10 OL and essentially rookie QB,
3) Money hungry/team goals-winning is not a priority,
4) Takes time away from a younger RB/option,
5) One joint away from a massive suspension.
6) Conner was just as easily plug and play. Bell is the product of a line/system.

I just... DO NOT get this. It blows my mind teams still pay RBs massive contracts, and this is no exception. I get Darnold is cheap for the next few years, but I just can't imagine a World where Bell doesn't take this contract to the bank, get fat/lazy (he already is), and do very little for the Jets.

I did in another thread, but calling a < 4 YPC and < 1K yardage (ground) season. What's my guess on injury for the season? 50/50.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets, Jets, Jetssssss.