• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Playoff Run Discussion

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For ANY team, a LOT needs to go right to go to the playoffs and/or win the Series.

This year, a LOT went bad for the Giants.

'15 Pence = '11 Posey. A lot of other smaller stuff happened as well, but Pence really was the major story of '15.

#weaklink, line 1, would like to argue.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are only one of four teams not officially eliminated yet from the playoff race in the National League. Two of them, the Padres and Diamondbacks, are within two games of elimination. The Nationals and Giants have at least a week longer before officially being eliminated.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A'ss just called up Zito.

Please G-d, make Huddy/Zito happen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 16 games left in the season, the Giants are:
*10 games back from the first wild card spot (if Pirates go 0-16, the Giants would need to go at least 11-5 or Giants go 16-0 and Pirates go 5-11)

*8 games back from the second wild card spot (if Cubs go 0-16, the Giants would need to go at least 9-7 or Giants go 16-0 and Cubs go 7-9)

*7.5 games back from the division (if Dodgers go 0-17, the Giants would need to go at least 8-8 or Giants go 16-0 and Dodgers go 8-9)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A'ss just called up Zito.

Please G-d, make Huddy/Zito happen.
I think both clubs will do whatever they can to make this happen. One of the guys on the TV broadcast last night proposed that Mulder should throw out the first pitch of that game.

I fully endorse that idea!

These guys will probably all be more known for their years with the A's, but all got rings elsewhere with two of them getting rings in SF.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both clubs will do whatever they can to make this happen. One of the guys on the TV broadcast last night proposed that Mulder should throw out the first pitch of that game.

I fully endorse that idea!

These guys will probably all be more known for their years with the A's, but all got rings elsewhere with two of them getting rings in SF.

Apparently it's Billy Beane who's the last person in the Bay Area who needs to be convinced.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, sad news for the Giants today as Mat Latos has been DFA'd by the Dodgers. He was awful in the rotation, so he was banished to the Kennel. Then he wasn't even worth holding onto there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates' Jung Ho-Kang has also been lost for the season. Coughlin went with the takeout slide into second base, right into the knees of Kang. Fractured tibia and torn MCL.

Here's a video. Kang exits with torn MCL

The slide was well within the rules, but it looks malicious. As most takeout slides look.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates' Jung Ho-Kang has also been lost for the season. Coughlin went with the takeout slide into second base, right into the knees of Kang. Fractured tibia and torn MCL.

The slide was well within the rules, but it looks malicious. As most takeout slides look.
I dont understand the need for the take-out slide. Same deal as bowling over the catcher.

I am not sure what a solution would be, but I do think it should be looked at AFTER the Posey-rule is fine-tuned to near-perfection.

Kang is a beast and now the Bucs are without one of their studs going into the post season. How is that good for the game?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it's Billy Beane who's the last person in the Bay Area who needs to be convinced.

yeah, cuz who wants the A'ss to sell out the Coliseum for a meaningless late Sep game? I swear, sometimes I think the A'ss are TRYING to not make money.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's my broken record rant:
That play is either a) obstruction if Kang is blocking second base without the ball or b) interference if Coughlin runs into Kang with the ball. Either way, the existing rule book makes the play illegal. Much like the "blow up the catcher" custom, this shit needs to be taken out of the game. Baseball is NON-contact; there is no good reason to allow "take out slides" any longer.

/steps off soap box.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand the need for the take-out slide. Same deal as bowling over the catcher.

I am not sure what a solution would be, but I do think it should be looked at AFTER the Posey-rule is fine-tuned to near-perfection.

Kang is a beast and now the Bucs are without one of their studs going into the post season. How is that good for the game?

I agree. While no solution will be easy, perhaps the easi-EST would be to chalk a line appx 10 feet (or whatever the proper distance would be, maybe 8, maybe 12 feet) from second base. A runner's slide, where he contacts the basepath with a part of his body other than the bottom of his foot, must begin before that line.

A rule like that would not disrupt the game and it provide a basis for judgment as to whether the slide had the intent of colliding with the fielder or not. Fines and/or suspensions could then be issued depending on frequency and severity of the infraction.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with that disgusting day in the books (Cubs win, Dodgers win, Giants lose):
* 1st Wild Card - Giants can go no worse than 11-4, and Pirates go 0-15, to get this spot
* 2nd Wild Card - Giants can go no worse than 10-5, and Cubs go 0-15, to get this spot
* NL West - Giants can go no worse than 9-6, and Dodgers go 0-16, to get this spot

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to say, and I may get banned for this, I think this is the year the Dodgers go all the way.

Looking at the rest of the NL, the Cardinals are not playing good ball right now, the Pirates are only 8-10 in September and just lost Kang, the Cubs are an incomplete team. The Mets are on fire and look like the only team that can compete with the Dodgers. There is still 2.5 weeks in the season where another team can catch fire, or for LA to cool off, but if we've learned anything from the Giants' playoff runs is that a hot team can roll right through.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to say, and I may get banned for this, I think this is the year the Dodgers go all the way.

Looking at the rest of the NL, the Cardinals are not playing good ball right now, the Pirates are only 8-10 in September and just lost Kang, the Cubs are an incomplete team. The Mets are on fire and look like the only team that can compete with the Dodgers. There is still 2.5 weeks in the season where another team can catch fire, or for LA to cool off, but if we've learned anything from the Giants' playoff runs is that a hot team can roll right through.
:hellno:
:ban:

Let's just hope that their hot streak hit too early and another NL team catches fire toward the end of the month.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hellno:
:ban:

Let's just hope that their hot streak hit too early and another NL team catches fire toward the end of the month.

That's what I'm praying for. Maybe the Giants can put them in their place when they come to town. Every game goes 20 innings.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this evening:
1st Wild Card - Giants need to go no worse than 12-1 and Pirates 0-13 to take this spot.
2nd Wild Card - Giants need to go no worse than 10-3 and Cubs 0-13 to take this spot.
NL West - Giants need to go no worse than 8-5 and Dodgers 0-14 to take this spot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this evening:
1st Wild Card - Giants need to go no worse than 12-1 and Pirates 0-13 to take this spot.
2nd Wild Card - Giants need to go no worse than 10-3 and Cubs 0-13 to take this spot.
NL West - Giants need to go no worse than 8-5 and Dodgers 0-14 to take this spot.
Is it just me, or does everyone get depressed reading this?