• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Playoff Run Discussion

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you just love KT?

The next in a long line of unheralded farmhands from a "bottom ten" system.

Man, the future is bright. Cue BoB....
I have been excited for Tomlinson for a year or so now. I was not expecting him to be as great as he has shown to this point, and I am not sure I expect him to continue to be as great, but so far...

:thumb:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, what was all that 1 in a million talk back there?

:heh: :(

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
post-11413-Wheels-Fly-Off-Racecar-gif-ECKu.gif

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this morning, this is how the playoff picture looks for the Giants:

* To win the division, the Giants would need to win at least 8 games (if the Dodgers go 0 for 20) and the Dodgers cannot win more than 11 games (if the Giants go 19-0) for the rest of the season.

* To win the first Wild Card spot, the Giants would need to win at least 12 games (if the Pirates go 0 for 20) and the Pirates cannot win more than 7 games for the rest of the season.

* To win the second Wild Card spot, the Giants would need to win at least 8 games (if the Cubs go 0 for 20) and the Cubs cannot win more than 11 games (if the Giants go 19-0) for the rest of the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For ANY team, a LOT needs to go right to go to the playoffs and/or win the Series.

This year, a LOT went bad for the Giants.

'15 Pence = '11 Posey. A lot of other smaller stuff happened as well, but Pence really was the major story of '15.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For ANY team, a LOT needs to go right to go to the playoffs and/or win the Series.

'15 Pence = '11 Posey. A lot of other smaller stuff happened as well, but Pence really was the major story of '15.

While I can 'sorta' agree with this, I feel compelled to make a few clarifications.

The way it's stated, it sounds as if Pence in '15 and Posey in '11 were the only major problems, and I can't agree with that. One could argue that they were the biggest problems, but one could argue otherwise as well. '15 reminds me of '11 in a big way.

This year, Cain not being Cain was a BIG problem. Having 2013 Cain all year would have made this season a lot better. Pagan being out for months was also a huge issue. McGehee NOT getting injured was a huge kick in the crotch. When Aoki went on the DL, he was the best leadoff man in the NL, and never regained that form, and went back on the DL. All of those are major problems, and one can argue that any of them was 'the biggest'. (Well, Duffy being Duffman saved us from McGehee being the worst.) And there were lots of lesser, but not insignificant, problems : having HSanchez instead of Susac, Affeldt injured and just sucking diseased whale dong all year, Leake going on DL right after the trade, Timmy pitching well but then hip problems causing complete suckitude. And losing Panik would have been a disaster if it wasn't for Clark Kent (Tomlinson).

I said that '15 reminds me of '11. That's because in both years there was a HUGE number of injured that just crippled the team. In both years, I claim that you can't point at ONE event (or even two) that made the post-season an impossibility. Yes, in '11 losing Posey was HUGE. But, massive injuries to the entire team were the real problem. Do you realize that *every* person appearing in the starting day game was out a *minimum* of 4 weeks, except one? Not just *starting*, but anybody who *played* in that game was on the DL at least 4 weeks that season. Unfortunately, that one person was the worst everyday player on the team, Aubrey Huff (OPS of about .650 that year). Huff was the ONLY main 'starting' player whose PAs would have qualified him for the batting title (if he hadn't sucked so much).

In '15, every *starting* player on opening day has been lost for a while, except Posey and MadBum. We lost Aoki, Pagan, Pence, McGehee, Crawford, Panik, Belt. Well, McGehee wasn't on the DL, but we lost him (thank God, 'cuz he sucked so much). '15 was just an injury fest, much as '11. I really don't think that we can point at ONE loss that was so major that we ended up where we are - it was a very cumulative effect. We can argue *which* single player was the biggest loss, but why bother?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Lots of injuries, particularly during he second half of the season, but if the Pence injury was the death of us, the Panik injury was the name in the coffin IMO.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can 'sorta' agree with this, I feel compelled to make a few clarifications.

The way it's stated, it sounds as if Pence in '15 and Posey in '11 were the only major problems, and I can't agree with that. One could argue that they were the biggest problems, but one could argue otherwise as well. '15 reminds me of '11 in a big way.

This year, Cain not being Cain was a BIG problem. Having 2013 Cain all year would have made this season a lot better. Pagan being out for months was also a huge issue. McGehee NOT getting injured was a huge kick in the crotch. When Aoki went on the DL, he was the best leadoff man in the NL, and never regained that form, and went back on the DL. All of those are major problems, and one can argue that any of them was 'the biggest'. (Well, Duffy being Duffman saved us from McGehee being the worst.) And there were lots of lesser, but not insignificant, problems : having HSanchez instead of Susac, Affeldt injured and just sucking diseased whale dong all year, Leake going on DL right after the trade, Timmy pitching well but then hip problems causing complete suckitude. And losing Panik would have been a disaster if it wasn't for Clark Kent (Tomlinson).

I said that '15 reminds me of '11. That's because in both years there was a HUGE number of injured that just crippled the team. In both years, I claim that you can't point at ONE event (or even two) that made the post-season an impossibility. Yes, in '11 losing Posey was HUGE. But, massive injuries to the entire team were the real problem. Do you realize that *every* person appearing in the starting day game was out a *minimum* of 4 weeks, except one? Not just *starting*, but anybody who *played* in that game was on the DL at least 4 weeks that season. Unfortunately, that one person was the worst everyday player on the team, Aubrey Huff (OPS of about .650 that year). Huff was the ONLY main 'starting' player whose PAs would have qualified him for the batting title (if he hadn't sucked so much).

In '15, every *starting* player on opening day has been lost for a while, except Posey and MadBum. We lost Aoki, Pagan, Pence, McGehee, Crawford, Panik, Belt. Well, McGehee wasn't on the DL, but we lost him (thank God, 'cuz he sucked so much). '15 was just an injury fest, much as '11. I really don't think that we can point at ONE loss that was so major that we ended up where we are - it was a very cumulative effect. We can argue *which* single player was the biggest loss, but why bother?

:agree:

As I read Marco's rebuttal, I couldn't help but be swayed. This is more my thought process throughout the season. Cal's point is taken but I believe this to be much a more accurate depiction of the Giants demise this season then a singular injury.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you see I said Posey was the only bump in the '11 road? Where did I state that Pence was the only travail of the '15 Giants?

'11 was DEFINED by May 25th. There were other bumps. There were other injuries. Maybe even enough that made Poseys injury non-game-changing. But when anyone thinks back to the '11 Giants, they think of Posey. And rightfully so. Pence, in '15, is very similar. There were other bumps. There were other injuries. Maybe even enough that made Pences injury non-game-changing. But Pences was the one that the entire journey an uphill climb.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you see I said Posey was the only bump in the '11 road? Where did I state that Pence was the only travail of the '15 Giants?

'11 was DEFINED by May 25th. There were other bumps. There were other injuries. Maybe even enough that made Poseys injury non-game-changing. But when anyone thinks back to the '11 Giants, they think of Posey. And rightfully so. Pence, in '15, is very similar. There were other bumps. There were other injuries. Maybe even enough that made Pences injury non-game-changing. But Pences was the one that the entire journey an uphill climb.

Speaking of '15, why Pence and not Pagan? Why not Cain? Why not Aoki (the best leadoff hitter in the NL when he was injured)? In both years, there were a LARGE number of bumps, many of them HUGE (obviously not all of them or even most). Personally, I am not interested in the discussion of defining X in the statement "Losing X was the biggest problem" - there were many problems. I also personally think that in both '11 and '15 the Giants could have made the post season without Posey and Pence (respectively) if all the *other* injuries to key players hadn't occurred. Both years were custer flucks of injuries.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have convinced me. Losing Posey in '11 was not that big of a deal. Not sure what I was thinking.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this morning, this is how the playoff picture looks for the Giants:

* To win the division, the Giants would need to win at least 8 games (if the Dodgers go 0 for 20) and the Dodgers cannot win more than 11 games (if the Giants go 19-0) for the rest of the season.

* To win the first Wild Card spot, the Giants would need to win at least 12 games (if the Pirates go 0 for 20) and the Pirates cannot win more than 7 games for the rest of the season.

* To win the second Wild Card spot, the Giants would need to win at least 8 games (if the Cubs go 0 for 20) and the Cubs cannot win more than 11 games (if the Giants go 19-0) for the rest of the season.

hqdefault.jpg