• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 9/7 Timmah at Enright

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent analysis.

And for the record, I didn't 'report' him to the mods as he's now screaming about over there. I honestly didn't know you could do that.

I wouldn't have expected you to. I'm aware of the "report" button, but have never used it. No matter how offensive comments might get, I'm rarely offended by people's opinions that I actually respect, so there is no way an attention-craved message board poster could ever offend me. Plus, if something offends me, I'll just call them out on it, like you did. That "report" button is just too much of a running to teacher/mommy to fight one's battles. It goes against everything I believe in. Apparently, it can lead to the offender not being able to sign on for some period of time, so I guess it can be used to slow the whining at times, which is nice.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that upon learning about the "Private/Cool Board," that Livin really started to fly off the handle. I didn't mention it then because I didn't/don't really care (other than feeling bad for him).

It has been an interesting case study, though. He immediately aligned himself with Tito and Nolan, the most frequent and most often maligned posters (even by himself). He continually referred to this board as the "cool board," as if attempting to live out some us-against them redemption for being shunned by the "cool" kids earlier in life. As one that has been both shunned and accepted by the "cool" kids at various points of my development, I understand the adolescent pain that exists from this experience. However, I can now look back at those times of exclusion, and realize they actually made me a better person in the long run (and those "cool" kids really aren't that cool, much like us. Okay, we're kind of cool, but humble :)).

The sad thing is that Livin is either too young or too psychologically damaged (or both) to just let it go. There is a false strength in his convictions that even shows through on the computer screen. So in a long, round-about answer to your question, no, I don't think you take it too far with him. This could be a good thing for his basic human development, but I do feel bad for the torment he is obviously going through. I mean, you've gotta be in a bad way if you're constantly agreeing with everything Tito and Nolan post.

In agreement with msg, Heath, very nice analysis.

And yes, Livin is going absolutely bonkers right now. I don't know whether the kid is just playing dumb or if he is really that delusional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In agreement with msg, Heath, very nice analysis.

And yes, Livin is going absolutely bonkers right now. I don't know whether the kid is just playing dumb or if he is really that delusional.

He does "own" that board. Or Nolan does. Or ESPN. One of the three. :). Either way, it certainly is the inmates running the asylum... or destroying it at times.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does "own" that board. Or Nolan does. Or ESPN. One of the three. :). Either way, it certainly is the inmates running the asylum... or destroying it at times.

Yes, that message board is turning into one imploding sociology experiment.. (where's the popcorn icon? lol)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I got a C in micro, but I aced macro. Can I still vote?

Sorry, no. In all seriousness, under grad economics tends to do more harm than good, imo. Better to get some other under grad degree and then approach econ on the graduate level.

There are also a lot of social issues that I care about more than the economy. I realize that, especially now, this is probably a bad way to view the world, but I feel a lot of these issues can eventually lead to a stronger economy. But then again, I'm not an economist. :).

Can't really separate economics from social issues. That's one the problems with under grad economics, too highly stylized to be of much relevance to real world problems. And it makes the "solutions" seem obvious. Nothing does more harm than someone who has logical but unsound reasons for believing what they do.

Actually the biggest reason why I say voting should be left to economists is because economists are trained to be aware of their own cognitive biases. And, of course, I don't really believe only economist should vote, I firmly believe in the long run wisdom of "the crowd". Even though it will take at least 5+ generations to realize much of our current economic structure is far less than optimal, I trust that eventually society will incrementally achieve pareto optimality. /soapbox

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, that message board is turning into one imploding sociology experiment.. (where's the popcorn icon? lol)

This is exactly what I was thinking. Get some popcorn....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Livin is usually just annoying, but sometime spectacularly entertaining. I recall about a year, year and a half ago, that I got "banned" for about 24 hours. Turns out it was Laguna Hills who reported me (he fessed up on the board). I was sure it was Nolan, but Laguna objected to me whaling on Cazic, IIRC. I toned down the language a bit and have had no problems since.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Livin is usually just annoying, but sometime spectacularly entertaining. I recall about a year, year and a half ago, that I got "banned" for about 24 hours. Turns out it was Laguna Hills who reported me (he fessed up on the board). I was sure it was Nolan, but Laguna objected to me whaling on Cazic, IIRC. I toned down the language a bit and have had no problems since.

tz, YOU went over board???

Surely you jest?