• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comparing the World Series Teams

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did something very similar to this a couple years ago. Back then, I put together a bracket of the '93, '02, '10 and '12 teams to determine who we liked the best and open the criteria to whatever the poster wanted to apply.

Now that we have 4 World Series teams in a thirteen-year span, though, lets look at these teams only (sorry '93. You may have actually been the best team, but YOU FAILED!! YOU WERE A LOSER!!).

---------
Lost the World Series to the Anaheim Angels in 7 games.

Key players
LF Barry Bonds (GOAT)
1B JT Snow
2B Jeff Kent
SP Jason Schmidt
CL Robb Nen

This was a power-house lineup with moderate starting pitching and a shut-down bully. They went 95-66 in the regular season. It was the first World Series appearance for the org since 1989 (and their second since the Dodgers last appearance).

---------
Won the World Series over the Texas Rangers in 5 games. The org's first title since moving to San Francisco.

Key Players
SP Tim Lincecum
SP Matt Cain
C Buster Posey
1B Aubrey Huff
CL Brian Wilson

A team with arguably four Ace-Level starting pitchers (Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgarner). The offence was a hot mess during the season, but was completely re-made in-season. Burrell, Ross, Posey, Torres, Sanchez and Fontenot were all added to the 25-man roster after opening day and all played important parts in winning the title.

--------
Won the World Series over the Detroit Tigers in 4 games.

Key Players
SP Matt Cain
C Buster Posey
RF Hunter Pence
3B Pablo Sandoval
2B Marco Scutaro
LF Melky Cabrera
CL Sergio Romo

The offence was much better than the '10 team, and the team was more star-driven than the '10 team. However, the rotation was a complete hodge-podge in the post-season as every game went to the hot-hand and there was no single, clear Ace on the staff, but every pitcher who got the call performed like an Ace.

---------
Won the World Series over the Kansas City Royals in 7 games.

Key Players
SP Madison Bumgarner
SP Madison Bumgarner
SP Madison Bumgarner
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval
RF Hunter Pence
2B Joe Panik
CL Madison Bumgarner

This was the Madison Bumgarner show, pretty much pure and simple. He was good in the regular season, but not historic elite. Then the playoffs started, and he entered up-up-down-down-left-left-right-right and entered God-Mode. Sandoval and Pence both had GREAT World Series' as well, but they were completely over-shadowed by the all-time epic performance put forth by Bum.

I think, as far as TALENT goes, it would probably go '02-'12-'10-'14, but I still think that the '10 team was the most fun, because none of us had any idea what winning the World Series felt like. '02 obviously hurt the most, mainly due to "The Flip" and what happened afterward, but '12 was a whole lot of pain and the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the '14 Series cause more than a few heart attacks, I am sure.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why was barry the goat? 2002 was his best post-season :

.356/.581/.978/1.559, 16 RBI, 8 HRs, 27 BB

Also, in 2002 Rich Aurilia was a STUD in the post-season :

.265/.311/.588/.899, 17 RBI, 6 HRs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why was barry the goat? 2002 was his best post-season :

.356/.581/.978/1.559, 16 RBI, 8 HRs, 27 BB

Also, in 2002 Rich Aurilia was a STUD in the post-season :

.265/.311/.588/.899, 17 RBI, 6 HRs

G.reatest
O.f
A.ll
T.ime

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the "key players" were more about the season as a whole. I actually had him listed, but removed him for brevity.

Notice I do not have Ross or Rent listed for the '10 team or Vogey or Zito for the '12 team...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G.reatest
O.f
A.ll
T.ime

muhammad-ali.jpg

Say WHAT?!?!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If 2010 was meant to get the taste out of 2002, then I think 2014 is the mouthwash that finally cleared that shit out completely. I felt like that team had no god damn chance with the gauntlet they had to face. For me it was the 18 inning game against the Nats that sealed the deal and made me a believer that team had a good reason to be in the postseason. Such resilience was amazing to see, and I have a feeling this one is going to live on for a long time. Not just the Bumgarner show, but how many little pieces had to be executed perfectly in order for the Bum show to actually be relevant. I was in my car going during the last inning and I had to actually pull over in to a parking lot to hear the final out. It was just crazy. What a catharsis of sorts. :suds:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If 2010 was meant to get the taste out of 2002, then I think 2014 is the mouthwash that finally cleared that shit out completely. I felt like that team had no god damn chance with the gauntlet they had to face. For me it was the 18 inning game against the Nats that sealed the deal and made me a believer that team had a good reason to be in the postseason. Such resilience was amazing to see, and I have a feeling this one is going to live on for a long time. Not just the Bumgarner show, but how many little pieces had to be executed perfectly in order for the Bum show to actually be relevant. I was in my car going during the last inning and I had to actually pull over in to a parking lot to hear the final out. It was just crazy. What a catharsis of sorts. :suds:

We would not have won if not for...

Yusmiero Petit
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Jeramy Affeldt
Hunter Pence
Pablo Sandoval
Michael Morse
Madison Bumgarner

Each of these guys did SOMETHING that was key enough to have been considered a moment that was required for the Giants to make it to or win the World Series.