• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it other than its a bunch of people (and dragons?) having an orgy.

It's kind of funny because in the episode, Alicent is very subtly asking about Rhaenyra's "wild night", while she has that tapestry on her wall.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem (I guess) is that, after the way GoT ended, HBO couldn't commit to the several seasons it would take for a slow burn / better developed story. I think this show/story is planned for 3 seasons
yeah I think there is gonna be a bunch of spin offs. So they have the new shows lingering to long.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we're where we should have been after two or three episodes, not five.

Problem still is I just don't care anyway. Nobody I love, nobody I hate, nobody I want to know more about. Alicent's problem - which had to be spelled out by Otto - is the heart of the show, and it should be awful but it's not. Underdeveloped despite the show taking forever.

Damien is mostly interesting just because everybody else is so dull. Even he's kind of a one-note pouty bad boy. Nobody is particular smart, particularly funny, or particularly conflicted.

But I'm still watching. Not in any hurry for the next episode, though. First seasons of GOT I couldn't stand not watching the next episode.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we're where we should have been after two or three episodes, not five.

Problem still is I just don't care anyway. Nobody I love, nobody I hate, nobody I want to know more about. Alicent's problem - which had to be spelled out by Otto - is the heart of the show, and it should be awful but it's not. Underdeveloped despite the show taking forever.

Damien is mostly interesting just because everybody else is so dull. Even he's kind of a one-note pouty bad boy. Nobody is particular smart, particularly funny, or particularly conflicted.

But I'm still watching. Not in any hurry for the next episode, though. First seasons of GOT I couldn't stand not watching the next episode.
They don't have the mix of duos or a conflict of classes other than Rhaenyra and Sir Cristan.

Littlefinger, Bronn, and Davos all came from nothing backgrounds.
They clawed and scrapped and schemed their way to power.
Pair them up with anyone and there was comedy or intrigue.
Sir Cristan might be the only equivalent on this show and while he's conflicted, he's got zero comedy appeal.

The next time jump might be difficult, but from what I've read, the show will start moving slower and start getting dicier.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show is not great yet, obviously it's far from GoT's level, but the potential is there. One thing is that this show might end up being nastier that GOT ever was. I'm very interested in seeing how this show evolves, and I find it interesting that there are no real heroes or villains.

To me, so far we've gotten good performances from King Viserys as a good but weak king, Rhaenyra, Daemon, Otto Hightower, and this week we got an impressive scene from Alicent.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just thinking about last episode, you get the cousin "Queen who never was", marrying the father Velaryon, to the new heir to the throne marrying the gay son of the same father, from a family that was not even recognized in the original game of thrones, only being 200 years away. All this to strengthen the Targaryon house with the strongest ally. Apparently something happens where they leave the seven kingdoms, which might be why they have hair like Predators.

Its a monday or tuesday watch for me so far, nothing I change plans for to make sure I see at first chance.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thinking about last episode, you get the cousin "Queen who never was", marrying the father Velaryon, to the new heir to the throne marrying the gay son of the same father, from a family that was not even recognized in the original game of thrones, only being 200 years away. All this to strengthen the Targaryon house with the strongest ally. Apparently something happens where they leave the seven kingdoms, which might be why they have hair like Predators.

Its a monday or tuesday watch for me so far, nothing I change plans for to make sure I see at first chance.

They're in the books, apparently, still as lords of Driftmark. They just didn't appear in the GOT series... which let the producers make new casting choices.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're in the books, apparently, still as lords of Driftmark. They just didn't appear in the GOT series... which let the producers make new casting choices.
ok, it just hit me as history repeating itself, the same that happened to her aunt is happening to her.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, it just hit me as history repeating itself, the same that happened to her aunt is happening to her.

The aunt was never the heir, the throne was never hers. The big problem that's coming is that Rhaenyra was named Viserys' heir to the throne, and the whole 7 kingdoms pledged support.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New main actors are great.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thumbs down.

That was waaaay too big of a time jump. Way too much shit and too many characters dumped on the audience all at once. How the fuck are you suppose to develop a connection with the audience when you're just rushing thru shit like that?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thumbs down.

That was waaaay too big of a time jump. Way too much shit and too many characters dumped on the audience all at once. How the fuck are you suppose to develop a connection with the audience when you're just rushing thru shit like that?

Not much happened during the time jump, and the time jump was absolutely necessary. The children are going to be main characters now. You can't tell much of a story with toddlers; the kids needed to be older for the story to progress.

We will get to know the new characters plenty well in the episodes to come.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thumbs down.

Because the actual story is about to begin, so everything until now is practically a prologue.

This is basically taking the opposite approach to what The Rings of Power is doing: Over there, since they know they have an unlimited budget, they are in no hurry, and might be hurting the show by going waaaay too slow.

Here, the whole idea of a new GoT show was a gamble, considering how everyone feels about GoT's final season. I'm guessing HBO didn't want to commit to more than two / three seasons, so they are going at full speed and want to finish this story as soon as possible. Now Harwin Strong is the father of all three of Rhaynera's sons, but we didn't get anything about their relationship and is already dead.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one aspect I don't really like is that they are making Alicent the "bad" of this story, including the actor saying that she's like a "woman for Trump". Sorry, but leaving the politics aside, in that world she's absolutely right with her concerns, particularly considering that Rhaynera's kids are obviously not Valeryans.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much happened during the time jump, and the time jump was absolutely necessary. The children are going to be main characters now. You can't tell much of a story with toddlers; the kids needed to be older for the story to progress.

We will get to know the new characters plenty well in the episodes to come.

Because the actual story is about to begin, so everything until now is practically a prologue.

This is basically taking the opposite approach to what The Rings of Power is doing: Over there, since they know they have an unlimited budget, they are in no hurry, and might be hurting the show by going waaaay too slow.

Here, the whole idea of a new GoT show was a gamble, considering how everyone feels about GoT's final season. I'm guessing HBO didn't want to commit to more than two / three seasons, so they are going at full speed and want to finish this story as soon as possible. Now Harwin Strong is the father of all three of Rhaynera's sons, but we didn't get anything about their relationship and is already dead.

Doesn't matter. From a story telling standpoint, its garbage. I don't care if its prologue. This show isn't tracking 100% with the book anyway. Make something up. The way they approach this was sloppy. Either make up some details to fill in the story or skip all the prologue, go right into the civil war and fill in the necessary details with flashbacks.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter. From a story telling standpoint, its garbage. I don't care if its prologue. This show isn't tracking 100% with the book anyway. Make something up. The way they approach this was sloppy. Either make up some details to fill in the story or skip all the prologue, go right into the civil war and fill in the necessary details with flashbacks.

While I wouldn't call this garbage, I agree that this could have been better. They could have done the time jump mid episode, and use the first half to show what happened during those years, and the second half to start establishing the kids.

Since this is GoT, I believe that they are aiming for a big spectacle in Episode 9, likely with Viserys' death and the start of the war. They used the first half of this season to establish both Queens, and now they will establish the kids, who along with their dragons, likely will grow into adulthood during the next two episodes.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Skipping the prologue and going right into the civil war would make the problem you're complaining about -- too many characters dumped all on the audience at once -- even worse: we would then be meeting ALL these characters in the first episode.

Instead, we've had 5 episodes to introduce us first to Viserys, Rhaenyra, Daemon, and Alicent. And now we're going to get to know the next generation in the upcoming episodes.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skipping the prologue and going right into the civil war would make the problem you're complaining about -- too many characters dumped all on the audience at once -- even worse: we would then be meeting ALL these characters in the first episode.

Instead, we've had 5 episodes to introduce us first to Viserys, Rhaenyra, Daemon, and Alicent. And now we're going to get to know the next generation in the upcoming episodes.

No it wouldn't. Obviously you wouldn't drop into the war first episode, but there's better ways to approach it than what they're doing.