• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this, if this wasn't linked to GOT I'm not sure how invested I'd be. With the exception of Daemon who at this point is more potential than execution, they could literally kill any character and I wouldn't care. I don't like or dislike anyone, I'm not rooting for one side or outcome over another. It's all very meh. And I get it's not Thrones and I'm giving it time to grow into itself but even after episode 1 of Thrones you had opinions on characters and were intrigued by multiple plot points. It's all a little too heavy/serious with very few characters cutting through with a different energy (Tyrion, Bronn, Littlefinger etc).

Comparing this against GoT is kind of unfair, because GoT characters grew and became great over time. Out of your examples, Littlefinger wasn't that endearing until he betrayed Ned in episode 7, and imo Bronn becaue a good character in season 2. In season one he first appeared on episode 5 or 6 as a previously unknown sellsword that wasn't that interesting.

During the first half of season one, I would argue that the only great characters on the show were Ned, Tyrion, Robert, Cercei and to a certain extent Dani. Maybe you could add Jaime, but initially he was just an arrogant unlikeable sob.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the show is trying to make a very clear distinction between young Rhaenyra and older Rhaenyra. Young Rhaenyra was a free spirit fighting against the patriarchal rules of her society who ultimately acceded to the demands of that society. Older Rhaenyra is now trying to survive in that society, living with a husband that obviously cannot sire children with her and now forced to defend her life and the lives of her children.

But switching actors for the purpose to show the passage of time is a risky thing to do for no reward that I can see.
Movies and show have a million little tricks to show the evolution of a character from season to season.

Lots of viewers get very attached to a shows characters and those characters are deeply entwined with the actors who play them.
Mess with that at your peril.

I was just getting into these characters and them boom ....it's the chic from Ready Player One.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But switching actors for the purpose to show the passage of time is a risky thing to do for no reward that I can see.
Movies and show have a million little tricks to show the evolution of a character from season to season.

Lots of viewers get very attached to a shows characters and those characters are deeply entwined with the actors who play them.

I was just getting into these characters and them boom ....it's the chic from Ready Player One.

The reward would be that you have to far more seasoned and better(at this point in careers) actresses playing roles that they fit the age of far better as well.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cristin is a total b*tch...Alicent hiring him makes her an ultra b*tch too. They both need some dracarys treatment. Do me right on this GoT.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the sneaky guy with the crutch...F*ck him too.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Alicent actresses look much more alike. Youre right that with Rhaenyra we have to suspend belieft that some really good dentists are in Kings Landing.
Believe that a dragon's magic can fix an overbite, you muggle. :suds:

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I gotta agree, with what they do in their graphics department, you would think it would be easy. I guess when you spend your CGI budget on dragons its just easier to recast.

I guess this point you made makes it simple to why there was such a long time jump, but I think they could have pulled off another episode to explain and then jump. The way it happened I guess alot of people double checked to see if they missed an episode.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That funeral was tense... Great episode, one of the best this season.

Now the greens have three dragons, including the largest of them all, while Rhaenyra's side has possibly five or six, but the ones bound to the children must be still pretty young. I wonder what happens to Laenor's dragon, now that he's leaving.

Edit: Episode 8 will be another time jump, and now we get to the final actors.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little odd how they just openly stated one side as "The Greens" when I can't recall that ever been established in the show so far. Obviously book readers know it and knowledgeable viewers as well saw the beginnings of it with the significance of Alicent's dress in the wedding in episode 5, but that was just a little dialogue nugget that felt like it was floating out of place

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little odd how they just openly stated one side as "The Greens" when I can't recall that ever been established in the show so far. Obviously book readers know it and knowledgeable viewers as well saw the beginnings of it with the significance of Alicent's dress in the wedding in episode 5, but that was just a little dialogue nugget that felt like it was floating out of place

Alicent and her kids have been wearing green all the time since the wedding.

The greens, from episode 8 preview:

1664775173950.png

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I didnt understand. When the chick had her dragon kill her.
Thought the dragon Riders couldn't be hurt by heat?
Or is it just Targaryen's that are heat resistant, not all dragon riders?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alicent and her kids have been wearing green all the time since the wedding.

The greens, from episode 8 preview:

View attachment 310265

I realize that. But I'm saying the show hasn't outright named the factions yet, which made it a little weird when Rhaenyra name drops it when she did

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some Targaryens are mildly resistant to heat, but no Targaryens are completely immune to heat and fire except Daenerys, who is unique/special in being completely immune.

For example, in the original series:

- in season 1 episode 6, molten gold melts the face of Viserys, Dany's brother
- in season 1 episode 8, Jon burns/injures his hand using fire to fight a wight

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was more a show specific thing for Dany and it was just...magic I guess.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Targaryens are mildly resistant to heat, but no Targaryens are completely immune to fire except Daenerys, who is unique/special in being completely immune.

For example, in the original series season 1 episode 8, Jon burns/injures his hand using fire to fight a wight.
long time back now for me, but I thought Jon Snow showed he was heat resistant (kinda like an Easter egg of things to come)

Shows what I know :noidea:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scenes that are too dark to see ...it's just soooo stupid because HBO is doing it on purpose.
They think they are being creative ...but they just are pissing people off.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scenes that are too dark to see ...it's just soooo stupid because HBO is doing it on purpose.
They think they are being creative ...but they just are pissing people off.

Yeah I don't get it. It wasnt as bad as during the Winterfell battle (that was basically a black screen the whole time), and the story and events were pretty great this time, so maybe people are more forgiving.

In the Winterfell battle, the poor cinematography only added to the stupidity happening in the story, making it one of the worst episodes from the show.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another time jump... and another fine episode.

Paddy Considine deserves an Emmy. Great performance from him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another time jump... and another fine episode.

Paddy Considine deserves an Emmy. Great performance from him.

I hope they bring back Viserys as a skeleton next episode except no one notices he's actually dead

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they bring back Viserys as a skeleton next episode except no one notices he's actually dead

Nahh... but they could do a Tales from the Crypt spinoff.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Games of Thrones right ....so we want to love it.
But lets be honest now ..the show is not good.

The showrunners of this series want it to be about them ....they want the credit for being innovative with the insanely dark scenes, and the long passage of time in just 1 season. They killed any character development that audiences live on. Not to mention the insane amount of pointless scenes of uninteresting dialogue.

It has just become boring to watch.