• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 6: Lions @ Cowboys

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't draft Bryce Young.

That shoulder injury gives me pause to draft him.

So then, having opined that he's QB#1 in the draft, I assume you're saying that you would pass on QB altogether near the top of the first round?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then, having opined that he's QB#1 in the draft, I assume you're saying that you would pass on QB altogether near the top of the first round?

Should the Lions end up drafting 1st next year, I wouldn't be upset if they chose CJ Stroud. I wouldn't like that route taken as I feel the defense has to be the primary concern which will help more in the long run to achieve their goal of becoming a winning team.

BTW, what I see in the transformation of JJ McCarthy from his true freshman year going into his sophomore season is relatively duplicated by what I saw from Bryce Young - without as much of the cerebral aspect that Bryce has showed. Bryce in his true freshman season while coming in as mop up duty had the same type of mistakes that JJ showed - too much velocity on short to intermediate throws when he should have taken something off those throws. Harbaugh doesn't let JJ loose nearly as much this season like Bryce was able to do in his sophomore season, however JJ has grown immensely understanding when and where velocity is needed and the same goes for throwing those shorter routes with some air under them.

Should JJ gain 20 lbs. between now and draft time 2024, he's a legit top 3 QB prospect. All subjective with the lenses I view through.

I would draft defense heavy this year with those first 3-4 picks in 2023 even if it means missing out on Will Anderson - he's the only true elite pass rusher in the upcoming draft (there are others who are good, but not as good as he is). Draft pundits will disagree with my thinking on that hot take of mine.

Edge Rusher, 3-tech and an outside CB are the most needed at this time with LB, Safety still in the mix. The first three are not necessarily in order outside of drafting Will Anderson if he's available and I would give up that second 1st round pick in 2023 to draft Anderson if needed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see more of the following from Okudah depending on opponent and who are their skill position players. The very first time I noticed Okudah at LB was in the first quarter - more in line as a stack LB on the strong side.

Okudah had six stops through the first five games of the season, and his seven stops against the Cowboys were tied for the highest total of the week with Green Bay Packers linebacker Quay Walker. Through seven weeks, Okudah is fourth among cornerbacks with 13 total stops—despite the Lions already having their bye week.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still draft Sewell over Parsons in a re-draft

Heading into this game, the biggest challenge for the Lions was slowing down that Cowboys pass rush. A marquee matchup was Penei Sewell vs. Micah Parsons, a battle of 2021 first-round picks that Lions fans debated about heavily in the weeks leading up to that draft.

Sewell more than held his own against perhaps the best pass rusher in the NFL on Sunday. Pro Football Focus credited Sewell with a 98.4 pass blocking efficiency rating, the seventh-best mark in his young career. He allowed just one pressure on 33 pass blocking snaps per PFF.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see more of the following from Okudah depending on opponent and who are their skill position players. The very first time I noticed Okudah at LB was in the first quarter - more in line as a stack LB on the strong side.

Okudah had six stops through the first five games of the season, and his seven stops against the Cowboys were tied for the highest total of the week with Green Bay Packers linebacker Quay Walker. Through seven weeks, Okudah is fourth among cornerbacks with 13 total stops—despite the Lions already having their bye week.
I am glad Okudah appears to be what we thought he was as the 3 pick. If he keeps healthy he could be a long time star for us in a critical position of need.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the passing game has been blamed on a number of things and they’re all valid. It’s impossible to not see Goff’s lack of confidence in the Lions depth at wide receiver, and it’s hard to blame him when the team is, for a second year in a row, missing both their No. 1 and No. 2 options right after the start of the season. What also can’t be ignored are the turnovers and the turnover-worthy plays. Against the Cowboys, Goff had three turnover-worthy plays despite having four turnovers—two interceptions and two lost fumbles. Through Week 7, Goff has the highest average of turnover-worthy plays for quarterbacks (2.2) according to PFF.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still draft Sewell over Parsons in a re-draft

Heading into this game, the biggest challenge for the Lions was slowing down that Cowboys pass rush. A marquee matchup was Penei Sewell vs. Micah Parsons, a battle of 2021 first-round picks that Lions fans debated about heavily in the weeks leading up to that draft.

Sewell more than held his own against perhaps the best pass rusher in the NFL on Sunday. Pro Football Focus credited Sewell with a 98.4 pass blocking efficiency rating, the seventh-best mark in his young career. He allowed just one pressure on 33 pass blocking snaps per PFF.
I think either pick would be a win for us. Sewell Shored up our one strength and made it very good. Parsons would have filled in a massive need.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have an issue coming up at some point. Decker is a good LT, maybe best Lions had since Lomas Brown. Sewell is going to be Willie Roaf, is Decker willing to move to the weakside at some point? or do we need to invest some draft capital to the near future.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad Okudah appears to be what we thought he was as the 3 pick. If he keeps healthy he could be a long time star for us in a critical position of need.

It's still too early to tell if his current play continues, however I like what he has showed on the field so far. Plus, I noticed over these last two games he has been vocal attempting to getting the DB's in the right positions.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still too early to tell if his current play continues, however I like what he has showed on the field so far. Plus, I noticed over these last two games he has been vocal attempting to getting the DB's in the right positions.
I feel like we are basically watching his rookie season. Every chance he falls off, but I remain hopeful he stays good. His willingness to step into multiple positions and fill that need well shows he is committed to just being a good player. I am now going to go sit in a corner and imagine Slay and Okudah out there and weep. Fucking Patricia

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think either pick would be a win for us. Sewell Shored up our one strength and made it very good. Parsons would have filled in a massive need.

That O-Line could easily be set for the next 5-6 years, if not more, outside of maybe having to replace Vaitai - the latter depends on how his back surgery went and future rehab comes along.

I'll take the strength of the O-Line by having Sewell so when it's time for a rookie QB he'll have far less worries than most rookie or 2nd year QB's endure. That's one mistake many of these teams make is by not having that O-Line strong enough to help a rookie QB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we are basically watching his rookie season. Every chance he falls off, but I remain hopeful he stays good. His willingness to step into multiple positions and fill that need well shows he is committed to just being a good player. I am now going to go sit in a corner and imagine Slay and Okudah out there and weep. Fucking Patricia

I honestly believe that Patricia's regime ruined many of these players and not just the DB's. Any player who was an incoming rookie during BQ's and Patricia's time here together - not BQ in his first year with Caldwell - should get a pass. Will Harris, J. Okwara and Austin Bryant haven't panned out so far but Okudah and Walker have rebounded well.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe that Patricia's regime ruined many of these players and not just the DB's. Any player who was an incoming rookie during BQ's and Patricia's time here together - not BQ in his first year with Caldwell - should get a pass. Will Harris, J. Okwara and Austin Bryant haven't panned out so far but Okudah and Walker have rebounded well.
The fact that all former Lions would band together to celebrate another player getting free of Patricia tells you something. Quinn started off looking so good at drafting. Did he get worse? Or did Patricia ruin every prospect that came in?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have an issue coming up at some point. Decker is a good LT, maybe best Lions had since Lomas Brown. Sewell is going to be Willie Roaf, is Decker willing to move to the weakside at some point? or do we need to invest some draft capital to the near future.

Very good question regarding Decker and if he'll move to the RT position or not. We still have him signed through 2024 and that will be the end of Sewell's 4th year. I hope Decker stays healthy and re-signs with us, but I cannot see him not relinquishing the LT position to Sewell. You never know. Decker has been vocal with both BQ and BH and by media reports, the front office listens to his opinions.

We need to invest in a swing tackle and an RG in waiting in this next draft. I'm not counting on Tommy Kraemer or Kevin Jarvis just yet.

Stenberg needs to be waived this off-season. That's 1.2M in cap savings.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that all former Lions would band together to celebrate another player getting free of Patricia tells you something. Quinn started off looking so good at drafting. Did he get worse? Or did Patricia ruin every prospect that came in?

BQ was good to very good at drafting O-Lineman, but he was ignorant in drafting Hockenson or any TE that high in the draft. I guess you have to give BQ credit for drafting Okudah and TW lll - the latter was a find for the 3rd round but there exists plenty of fuckups by BQ - as all GM's have those.

Patricia and every damn position coach was a heaping pile of shit unless my memory is worse than I'm willing to acknowledge.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good question regarding Decker and if he'll move to the RT position or not. We still have him signed through 2024 and that will be the end of Sewell's 4th year. I hope Decker stays healthy and re-signs with us, but I cannot see him not relinquishing the LT position to Sewell. You never know. Decker has been vocal with both BQ and BH and by media reports, the front office listens to his opinions.

We need to invest in a swing tackle and an RG in waiting in this next draft. I'm not counting on Tommy Kraemer or Kevin Jarvis just yet.

It looks like Evan Brown has settled in nicely at RG.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, he's their now No.1 WR with 10 catches in 3 games played for a total of 92 yards and 1 TD.

I'd rather have our 2021 4th round pick than wasting a 2nd round pick on Wan'Dale.

You surely have the ability to spin whatever narrative you hope others will believe. You should become a politician.

Nice attempt by you.

A simple “You we’re right.” would suffice. Weird how that’s so difficult for you.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get rid of all of them. Keep Skipper. Bring in another swing player and a starting RG if Big V goes.