• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 163

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year before we offered him nearly the same. And yes the biggest factor was that Texas needed him to catch, and he didn't want to because of his hip. I don't blame him for it. However, he did have a few month stretch where he wasn't that spectacular. His start and finish were probably the best parts of his season.

We didn't offer the same contract the Red Sox ORIGINALLY offered, remember they changed it after they discovered his hip was basically shot and it changed from a 3 year deal to a 1 year deal

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I am totally cool and confident that Martin Perez is on the mound tonight. That kid is so cool and is so poised this year that I really think he's going to have a solid game and match Price pitch for pitch.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't offer the same contract the Red Sox ORIGINALLY offered, remember they changed it after they discovered his hip was basically shot and it changed from a 3 year deal to a 1 year deal
That's why I said nearly the same in years and money.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto had a 1.400 OPS this month...I know SSS, but DAYUM.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This may be just something for both Dan Plesac, Billy Ripken and MLB TV to fall back on since both picked the Rays to win tonight. All the walk would have done would put a runner on base. To say that it cost the Rays the game and HFA is a serious stretch.

TBR losing two of three in TOR far more relevant story line and could have easily have been swept yesterday. Making a call for TBR because of the Zobrist K is irrelevant.

TEX has had to win the last seven to get where they are tonight. TBR has only won one game it had to win. Far more pressure on TBR than on TEX tonight IMO ... tonight is no different for TEX than the last seven games.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBR losing two of three in TOR far more relevant story line and could have easily have been swept yesterday. Making a call for TBR because of the Zobrist K is irrelevant.

TEX has had to win the last seven to get where they are tonight. TBR has only won one game it had to win. Far more pressure on TBR than on TEX tonight IMO ... tonight is no different for TEX than the last seven games.

Like I said, call me crazy but I kind of like our chances for several reasons tonight.

Tampa made a long flight from that brutal field at Rogers center where they nearly got swept.

Texas is red hot right now

Perez is our ace slayer

Price struggles mightily at rbia

Texas got a good nights rest in their own beds

They've knocked the rays out of the playoffs twice now.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are out that Texas is among leading candidates to sign Abreu.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Three LH batters in the lineup against Price bothers me ...

AJ will be in the lineup even though only 2 for 10 against Price. I don't see Baker taking Mitch's spot so Mitch has to start... but he is 0 for 5 against Price. If you put Soto behind the plate with AJ at DH ... means Cruz in LF ... and Gentry in CF. That takes Martin out of having to face Price who he has never seen ... but you lose his arm in CF with Cruz playing the field for the first time in 50 games. Another problem with that lineup is that to bring Martin in late means you lose Gentry for the balance of the game.

If you put Cruz at DH with Martin in CF and Gentry in LF then you lose Soto. But you have his bat available late to PH. So ... I'm back to having three LH TEX bats against Price.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt Texas had the harder row to hoe the last few days, but unless they are in Price's head ( terrible RBIA stats), I can't see the first 162 having much bearing on a one and done. JMO

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AJ will be in the lineup even though only 2 for 10 against Price. I don't see Baker taking Mitch's spot so Mitch has to start... but he is 0 for 5 against Price. If you put Soto behind the plate with AJ at DH ... means Cruz in LF ... and Gentry in CF. That takes Martin out of having to face Price who he has never seen ... but you lose his arm in CF with Cruz playing the field for the first time in 50 games. Another problem with that lineup is that to bring Martin in late means you lose Gentry for the balance of the game.

If you put Cruz at DH with Martin in CF and Gentry in LF then you lose Soto. But you have his bat available late to PH. So ... I'm back to having three LH TEX bats against Price.

So? Having three LH hitters gets your approval?
I see no other option. Cruz is 9-21 with three over the fence against Price, he almost has to DH. No need to bench the arm and speed for an adventure in LF. That would be way to easy for the Washington bashers should anything go wrong.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather see Soto start and AJ parked on the bench. You have to make Price throw strikes and AJ is a hacker at anything in his area code, plus Soto is better defensively. Of course, this probably ain't happening.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see Soto start and AJ parked on the bench. You have to make Price throw strikes and AJ is a hacker at anything in his area code, plus Soto is better defensively. Of course, this probably ain't happening.

I agree with AJ starting this one on the bench. This serves as the best pre-game second guess to me.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I got to set the lineup I would roll with this.

1. Kinsler 2B
2. Andrus SS
3. Rios RF
4. Beltre 3B
5. Cruz DH
6. Soto C
7. Moreland 1B
8. Gentry LF
9. Martin CF

It would only have 2 LHHs in the line up, and the would be buried deep and split up. Then if need be you can replace Soto late with a PH. Cruz might be ansty, but I would rather see him at DH than AJP anyway.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I got to set the lineup I would roll with this.

1. Kinsler 2B
2. Andrus SS
3. Rios RF
4. Beltre 3B
5. Cruz DH
6. Soto C
7. Moreland 1B
8. Gentry LF
9. Martin CF

It would only have 2 LHHs in the line up, and the would be buried deep and split up. Then if need be you can replace Soto late with a PH. Cruz might be ansty, but I would rather see him at DH than AJP anyway.

I'd flip 3 and 5

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd flip 3 and 5
Don't think I would slot him in just yet for the third spot. 5th honestly might be too high given the 50 game break. We might be expecting way too much of Cruz. I really don't know yet. I am hoping that we are not. Say he does do well tonight and it sparks them to victory then I would keep him at 5. Rios has been doing fairly decent at 3. I also like the ability for Rios to steal and run ahead of Beltre and Cruz. He easily scores on singles by them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think I would slot him in just yet for the third spot. 5th honestly might be too high given the 50 game break. We might be expecting way too much of Cruz. I really don't know yet. I am hoping that we are not. Say he does do well tonight and it sparks them to victory then I would keep him at 5. Rios has been doing fairly decent at 3. I also like the ability for Rios to steal and run ahead of Beltre and Cruz. He easily scores on singles by them.

I agree. Rios brings a dynamic in the three spot we haven't hand before. He's a little like gentry in that if he gets on base at all it might as well be a double. I believe gentry is faster but damn rios knows how to get a jump. Rios getting on in front of Beltre almost assure Beltre will have a chance to hit with risp.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree Al on all points ... but I was being realistic. Am more worried about Martin against Price than AJ though.