• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #1 NE Patriots vs Cincinnati Bengals Sunday, September 8, 2024 1:00 PM (CBS)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first game of the 2024 season will be on the road.

Cincinnati will bve without their #1 WR J'Marr Chase.

Couple of interesting notes from the Bengals. Burrow might be just a little exposed on his blind side.

Bengals name 2 surprise starters for Week 1​

The first somewhat surprising starter is offensive tackle Trent Brown, who signed a one-year deal with the Bengals in free agency over the offseason. Brown will get the starting nod in the game over rookie first-rounder Amarius Mims, who is still dealing with a pectoral injury that he suffered during the preseason. Bengals coach Zac Taylor said that he wasn't sure if Mims would be available to play at all during the first game of the season.

Ultimately when Mims returns to action, he'll likely have an opportunity to secure a starting spot over Brown, but for now the veteran will handle the role. This shouldn't be an issue for Brown, who is an experienced veteran with a Super Bowl ring and a Pro Bowl selection to his name.

The other surprising starter selection is safety-turned-cornerback Dax Hill, who solely played safety during the first two seasons of his career. Hill started in all 17 games for Cincinnati at safety last season, but after the offseason additions of Geno Stone and Vonn Bell coupled with the development of second-year safety Jordan Battle, the team decided to shift him to corner.

Switching positions mid-career is never easy, but Hill has done an excellent job with the transition. So excellent that the team decided to name him as the other starting cornerback alongside Cam Taylor-Britt for the regular season opener. Hill beat out second-year corner D.J Turner II in the process, though Zac Taylor still expects Turner to be a major contributor.

Attachments

• 1725396765084.png
    1725396765084.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spread is +8.5 points for the Pats @ Bengals. If it goes at or beyond that we will know the state of the team. Losing by 2-3 scores would shake the building.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spread is +8.5 points for the Pats @ Bengals. If it goes at or beyond that we will know the state of the team. Losing by 2-3 scores would shake the building.
Started at +9.5 people betting no Ja Marr Chase or he'll be ineffective after holding out. Also Burrow struggles in September for some reason?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the changes to the roster and the practice squad, I don't expect to know every player that takes the field on Sunday. I honestly think that several of the new tackles will get a chance to show their stuff. I think Jacobs has enough experience to get the LT start. Jones was a Packer last year a could also get a shift or two. The new OL that have been added give me a tingle. If they're one percent better than the guys who played during the preseason, this team can be a sneaky good one.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bengals name 2 surprise starters for Week 1​

The first somewhat surprising starter is offensive tackle Trent Brown, who signed a one-year deal with the Bengals in free agency over the offseason. Brown will get the starting nod in the game over rookie first-rounder Amarius Mims, who is still dealing with a pectoral injury that he suffered during the preseason. Bengals coach Zac Taylor said that he wasn't sure if Mims would be available to play at all during the first game of the season.

Ultimately when Mims returns to action, he'll likely have an opportunity to secure a starting spot over Brown, but for now the veteran will handle the role. This shouldn't be an issue for Brown, who is an experienced veteran with a Super Bowl ring and a Pro Bowl selection to his name.
Here. kitty, kitty.......

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals 31

Pats 17

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A loss is a loss and the close losses actually hurt more.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamar Chase was back at practice today. Not sure what that means for his availability on Sunday but usually a good sign he will try to play even if just in a limited snap count as he gets back into the swing of things.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy also made some OL changes.

Bengals lost all three preseason games.

Bears 27 Bengals 3
Colts 27 Bengals 14
Bucs 17 Bengals 14

Not that the preseason means anything, right????

One noticeable thing is this.....Burrow and Chase did not play. So please explain how either of them will be up to game speed if neither has played since last January? One thing we do know is that every single Patriots except David Andrews has played this past summer in an NFL game.

I'm taking the Patriots +9

I'll also gamble $20 on the parlay for a Patriots win plus the 9. +325 for a payout of $6500.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy also made some OL changes.

Bengals lost all three preseason games.

Bears 27 Bengals 3
Colts 27 Bengals 14
Bucs 17 Bengals 14

Not that the preseason means anything, right????

One noticeable thing is this.....Burrow and Chase did not play. So please explain how either of them will be up to game speed if neither has played since last January? One thing we do know is that every single Patriots except David Andrews has played this past summer in an NFL game.

I'm taking the Patriots +9

I'll also gamble $20 on the parlay for a Patriots win plus the 9. +325 for a payout of $6500.
Them not playing in the preseason is not a big deal. There are a decent number of teams that won't play their starters or at most only give them one drive the entire preseason. I would say the bigger issue is Chase sitting out so many practices could throw off the timing a bit. But then again Chase and Burrow have played together for a lot of years so I don't think that is a big deal either.

My bigger question is what type of football shape is Chase in after being away from the team for most of the offseason. Sometimes takes a few games to get your feet underneath you when you have been training but not taking the hits like he will in this game.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Them not playing in the preseason is not a big deal. There are a decent number of teams that won't play their starters or at most only give them one drive the entire preseason. I would say the bigger issue is Chase sitting out so many practices could throw off the timing a bit. But then again Chase and Burrow have played together for a lot of years so I don't think that is a big deal either.

My bigger question is what type of football shape is Chase in after being away from the team for most of the offseason. Sometimes takes a few games to get your feet underneath you when you have been training but not taking the hits like he will in this game.
Situations like these often strain hamstrings and quads.......

cheerupcharlie

Correcting BK on the daily
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's easy when you throw 4 screens a year. I do not have a lot of confidence in him or this offense, to many unknowns. Time will tell

Nor do I. But I have to believe the offense is better then last years. Turnovers killed this team in tight games. Brissett is better than Mac Jones. Our WR’s seem better this year too. I like Gibson as the 3rd down back.

It’s just this damn offensive line. For some reason I see big plays being called back because of penalties.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Situations like these often strain hamstrings and quads.......
Agreed. The soft tissue injuries definitely become a concern. This why I hate teams playing chicken with super stars. You know you are going to have to pay them top market money. Heck they even have plenty of other contracts to base Chase's contract off of yet they are continuing to hold out. All they have done is hurt their Super Bowl window with Burrow and him in their prime.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The soft tissue injuries definitely become a concern. This why I hate teams playing chicken with super stars. You know you are going to have to pay them top market money. Heck they even have plenty of other contracts to base Chase's contract off of yet they are continuing to hold out. All they have done is hurt their Super Bowl window with Burrow and him in their prime.
Players sometimes just hold out so they don't have to play in camp......