• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gabbert Signed

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a Kaep hater you are, fucking loser

I guarantee you went and looked upSquidward's picture and had to admit Kaepernick looks just like him. Stop knob gobbling kaepernick.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harbaugh can stop his feet from dancing all over the place and relax a bit in the pocket he will be Alex Smith 2.0.

He has a decent arm in terms of accuracy and strength. Not great but good. His problem is that he gets scared from not having any protection, WRs, TEs, any fucking offense talent around him who didn't get suspended twice, and Coaching staff worth a shit.

Having all that against a QB turns a promising young QB into Carr, Smith, Sanchez, and Gabbert. If Harbaugh can loosen up Gabbert like he did Smith, all that pad slapping and stuff pregame and make him laugh and relax, he will turn out to be worth a couple second round picks. Only problem is he wont see much game time unless there is an injury.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it last year and in years past that if somebody can find me a realistic worse QB name to add to the team than Colt McCoy then go ahead and try but you probably can't do it. I said to friends when he was in college that I'd legally change my name to Colt McCoy (awful name) if he could become an average-above average quarterback at any point in his career.

I said when they traded for him that any of you probably couldn't name me a realistic quarterback I'd want LESS on the 49ers as a backup than Colt McCoy. He literally was at the bottom of my list. Last. Nobody behind him. I'd rather have McLeod Bethel-Thompson who was on the 49ers backing up Kaepernick than McCoy.

Gabbert is slightly above McCoy but not by much. It's not a shocking move to me, though. Harbaugh was on his believer list when he came out, according to reports. This feels more like a Harbaugh move than a predominately backed Baalke move with some kind of support from Harbaugh.

I'm not going to act like most fans and think that there's this long list of guys that were realistically available for the 49ers to pick from, but this is another one of a semi long list of depth players that I don't/didn't like.

On a childish, superficial level. Gabbert is EXTREMELY hard to look at physically, too. That doesn't help. :)

This is really interesting to me.

Pozz- do you have write ups of your thoughts on Alex Smith and Kap coming out? For some reason I remember thinking you didn't like Kap much as a prospect? But maybe I'm misrembering. Also, who were your top 5 QBs coming out of college? I'm not asking to spark a debate or say you're wrong or anything, I'm just interested because you know your stuff and you follow these prospects more than anyone I know of on the board.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He cut his hair, right?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny, last night I was glancing over the FA lists wondering which disappointing former first round pick we would go for this year. Gabbert never, ever crossed my mind.

Would he have crossed your mind if he had been a FA on thus on that list? Sometimes a list forces you to consider something you wouldn't have otherwise. My top 100 songs off the top of my head would be much different if I had my music library in front of me.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt brought nothing to the table. Let's see if Gabbert can be rebuilt. Another low risk move.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of his 2M is guaranteed? What's his incentive to take a pay cut? How about a job? Here's the conversation:

Baalke: Hi Blake Gabbert's agent, we'd like your client to cut his pay in half this year.
BGA: Hahahaha. No way, he's making 2M this year.
Baalke: Not from us. You think you can get that on the open market in August? We'll keep him on the roster for a camp arm, then cut him in preseason.
BGA: So how bit a cut are we talking?

I was over-valuing the draft pick. I know it isn't a commitment and I said that it would be a reason to take the paycut if he couldn't sign for one million elsewhere. I thought someone might take him at that price if a FA, I thought most backup QBs made 1 million or more. Don't bother citing anything, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Having McCoy last year didn't stop us from drafting BJ Daniels. We have lots of picks, Gabbert is guaranteed nothing. We can still draft a QB, and if he shows more than Gabbert, we keep him instead. Does anyone feel that signing Eric Wright today means we won't draft a CB?

I was just trying to explain what I thought bvanthielriceyoung meant, not that I felt that way. Another poster (ericm) thought the same thing as you. It wasn't my opinion. He said why not draft someone instead, the other poster said it's only a sixth round pick, I said that bvanthiel may have meant making a QB move for a backup made the backup spot more settled and less likely to pick another QB. Obviously, we do have a lot of picks, Gabbert's not a sure thing, no commitment, and if a better guy for our future (develop and trade) came we'd still consider it, but is less likely than if the position was entirely unaddressed yet (though UFDAs or FA would still be an option).

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only drawback I see is Kap and Gabbert both have 1 year left.

So if Kap plays really well, and Gabbert is a decent backup, how much money do you commit to the QB position then?

Maybe extend Gabbert now if you can extend him cheap, to give you leverage on Kap?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only drawback I see is Kap and Gabbert both have 1 year left.

So if Kap plays really well, and Gabbert is a decent backup, how much money do you commit to the QB position then?

Maybe extend Gabbert now if you can extend him cheap, to give you leverage on Kap?

I know Harbaugh is the QB whisperer, but I don't see Gabbert as leverage for anything, ever in regard to Kaepermick.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them trying to extend Gab if he shows well in the off-season/pre-season. We need a long term backup.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would he have crossed your mind if he had been a FA on thus on that list? Sometimes a list forces you to consider something you wouldn't have otherwise. My top 100 songs off the top of my head would be much different if I had my music library in front of me.

No. I didn't even really look at QBs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Idea if he is going to take a pay cut. Doesn't he make like 6 million a year.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we trade a 5th round pick for McCoy last year? McCoy is a career backup with a backups skill set.
We trade a 6th this year for a likely career backup with a starters skill set. That's an improvement all-around. It will be interesting to see how Gabbert improves under a real NFL team. The Jags have not exactly been the most stable team when it comes to coaches, players, and performance since Gabbert was drafted.

Hopefully the Jags didn't damage all the talent he had pre-draft to much.

On a side not though. I honestly thought Gabbert was the move overrated QB in that draft class and never saw 1st round talent in him. Then again I'm not an NFL scout so I will hope my eye test is wrong and Harbaugh and staff can fix the kid now that he is our problem.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this is a steal.

I bet that Baalke and Harbaugh spent a good amount of time scouting Gabbert the year they drafted Kaepernick. They must have like Gabbert when they scouted him, if they were willing to trade for him.

With 13 picks this year we can afford to let go of a 6th round pick.

I think they will turn Gabbert around.

Catching up to all this info, but this is the boat that I'm in. I hated Gabbert as a top 10 player in that draft. I was crossing my fingers they wouldn't take him, and would have thrown something at the TV if they turned that pick in. Was surprised in that draft that we ended up with Aldon, but relieved we didn't do something stupid and pull the trigger on Gabbert.

However, you are now comparing Gabbert to the QB's available in the 6th Rd this year. If Harbaugh can do something with him, great. If not, just throw someone else in. They can still draft another 6th Rd QB (probably athletic type) and let them all battle it out for the backup and 3rd spots. That gives us Kap, a vet backup in Gabbert, and a rookie QB nipping at his heals.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Idea if he is going to take a pay cut. Doesn't he make like 6 million a year.

I thought someone said it was 2.01 Million. If it's 6, then I take back everything I said in this thread. (About him not wanting to take the paycut - at 6 million, he has no real choice. He'd be cut, even with that draft pick we sent (a no big deal but a reason to keep if the contract isn't 6 Million)).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catching up to all this info, but this is the boat that I'm in. I hated Gabbert as a top 10 player in that draft. I was crossing my fingers they wouldn't take him, and would have thrown something at the TV if they turned that pick in. Was surprised in that draft that we ended up with Aldon, but relieved we didn't do something stupid and pull the trigger on Gabbert.

However, you are now comparing Gabbert to the QB's available in the 6th Rd this year. If Harbaugh can do something with him, great. If not, just throw someone else in. They can still draft another 6th Rd QB (probably athletic type) and let them all battle it out for the backup and 3rd spots. That gives us Kap, a vet backup in Gabbert, and a rookie QB nipping at his heals.

Yep, as Imac said, this doesn't preclude selecting a QB. I thought it was suggested that trading for Gabbert made us check off that box and more unlikely to select a QB, but chances are, with those 13 picks, we'd have and we will select the QB if he comes at a good value to us regardless of the Gabbert trade. If he didn't or doesn't come at the right spot, we wouldn't, regardless of the Gabbert trade. Now, that right value might change as it isn't a huge need (if they believe in Gabbert as a good backup) but it's not like we wouldn't look at it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if this doesn't put us over the top, nothing will...

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, as Imac said, this doesn't preclude selecting a QB. I thought it was suggested that trading for Gabbert made us check off that box and more unlikely to select a QB, but chances are, with those 13 picks, we'd have and we will select the QB if he comes at a good value to us regardless of the Gabbert trade. If he didn't or doesn't come at the right spot, we wouldn't, regardless of the Gabbert trade. Now, that right value might change as it isn't a huge need (if they believe in Gabbert as a good backup) but it's not like we wouldn't look at it.

I assumed Colt would have a tough time making the team. They are really trying to fill a vet QB role, and probably push Gabbert into it even though he's very young. Would look for them to find another athletic QB similar to Kap for the 3rd spot to develop. Finding someone to stick late will be difficult, but its like hitting the jackpot if one pans out.

In other news Trent kept the tradition alive of collecting us former top 10 pick washouts. He got Ginn, I think Whitner was there (don't have time to check), and there may have been some others.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed Colt would have a tough time making the team. They are really trying to fill a vet QB role, and probably push Gabbert into it even though he's very young. Would look for them to find another athletic QB similar to Kap for the 3rd spot to develop. Finding someone to stick late will be difficult, but its like hitting the jackpot if one pans out.

In other news Trent kept the tradition alive of collecting us former top 10 pick washouts. He got Ginn, I think Whitner was there (don't have time to check), and there may have been some others.

Another player is Glenn Dorsey, a former 1st round pick of the Chiefs in 2008.