• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gabbert Signed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oh yes that's right - I think this was addressed in detail when we first signed him but I forgot. Looks like the only pressure they can apply is to get an athletic 3rd QB to compete with him for the backup role, but he should be safe for this year.

The homer in me says they should draft Brett Smith, groom him for a year, and let Gabbert walk next season . I agree with you on the Harbaugh rehab fee, though. The dude could probably turn Justin Smith into a serviceable QB if he needed to. :suds:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert's contract is fully-guaranteed. If the team were to cut him, they'd still be on the hook for his full salary. There's really not any strong-arming that can be done, unless you're talking about an extension, but Gabbert doesn't have a financial incentive to do anything at the moment.
This was one of the reasons I said this was a bad signing. He will be making more that Kap to be the back-up and his salary is guaranteed. Kap's contract now will have to be done or he will have yet another back-up QB making more than he is....no choice. Stupid move IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was one of the reasons I said this was a bad signing. He will be making more that Kap to be the back-up and his salary is guaranteed. Kap's contract now will have to be done or he will have yet another back-up QB making more than he is....no choice. Stupid move IMO.

From the talk, there's little doubt that we will re-sign Kap before the start of the season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the team approaches Gabbert re: an extension that might allow us to spread out the cap hit a bit.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing has to be done and this is a non reason to extend Kap.

Just because a player is signed with a larger contract than Kap and it being their rookie contract shouldn't affect anything with Kaps negotiation. If anything it adds security to the 9ers and leverage in the act of stalemates and insurance policy as a back up. The advantage goes to the 9ers in all of this because Kap is under contract for 2014 and it happens to be his rookie contract. I like that he doesn't have a choice and the 9ers own him for another year on the cheap side.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the talk, there's little doubt that we will re-sign Kap before the start of the season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the team approaches Gabbert re: an extension that might allow us to spread out the cap hit a bit.

Wouldn't mind it at all, buy low.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Picking up Gabbert likely takes us out of the QB market with this draft, and that's not a bad thing.

The Gabbert pick up is honestly a great move for a team looking for a young QB to develop as Kaep's back up. The 49ers were never going to find a QB in this draft with Gabbert's talent in the 6th round. We essential got a 1st round talent with 3 years of NFL experience for just a 6th round pick.

Sure Gabbert was awful in Jacksonville, but that does not change the fact he was considered by some the top QB in the same draft class that featured Kaepernick. Gabbert played on an absolutely awful Jags team the last 3 years. A team so bad they can't even get fans to come watch them play. Think about this for a minute, put Kaepernick on those same Jaguar teams and have him starting as a rookie. Where do you guys think Kaep's career would be right now? Probably around the same place as Gabbert's.

Gabbert now gets to remove himself from the pressures of turning around that crappy organization and come learn and play for a former NFL QB turned Head Coach. He knows he likely won't be starting, but at the same time this is absolutely the best thing he could have hoped for to turn his career around.

I'll take getting a talented, young, experienced NFL QB for a 6th round pick any day over using a higher pick on an unknown college prospect or over paying for a veteran backup. If Gabbert can play up to his potential now that he is with a good coaching staff for QB's and free from the stress of being a 1st round QB the move is an absolute steal for us. If he is unable to then oh well it's not like we traded for a starter. Gabbert is instantly an upgrade over everything we had behind Kaep last year as well.

we should still consider drafting a QB as #3, or PS? likely not a high pick, but if value arises somewhere....we should.