• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gabbert Signed

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we have done well. One drop was Baldwin. Overall Baalke and the front office doing a great job. They know how to fill the holes when we lose someone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree we have done well. One drop was Baldwin. Overall Baalke and the front office doing a great job. They know how to fill the holes when we lose someone.

Baldwin was more about getting Jenkins off the books than adding Baldwin.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Well, to be honest, we saved a ton of money because of that trade.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The strategy of getting top talented guys when their stock is around the bottom has been working out. I like this strategy so much more than overpaying for elite players. On a side note I was always surprised that Dorsey didn't dominate when he came into the league.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our front office is brilliant.

Turning late round picks (which we have an abundance of) into Gabbert and Martin is super low risk, high possible reward. Both of those dudes are young and 1/2 round picks.

Signing Bethea I think is an upgrade over Whitner at a fraction of the price.

And I didn't see two of those deals coming (Gabbert and Bethea). There was some rumors about Martin but we still got him cheap. Nobody else probably wanted to take a chance on him so advantage to Harbaugh with the college connection.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, I agree. I really like the Bethea move. It was a nice quiet move on the FA chessboard. He's exactly the type of player they needed to fill that role. Doesn't break the bank, will play to the new rules, and gives solid stable vet leadership. Instead of forcing a safety pick in this draft too early, now we have the luxury to draft a later round project, or even hold off until next year to bring someone in to groom.

He won't be a playmaker, but should help Reid shine. Whitner actually had a good year last year, but his reputation has turned him into a liability back there. He's just not going to get the benefit of a borderline play back there.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbs has his work cut out for him. Gotta teach this guy to stand tall in the pocket and not run like a chicken with his head cut off.
http://t.co/CdVmdHPgsw

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin was a good trade because not only did we get rid of AJ, Baldwin just re-did his contract to stay on the team, he can be the 4th or 5th guy behind Crabs, Boldin, Patton and whoever we draft

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about drafting that QB from Alabama. He seems like a winner and a guy who doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking up Gabbert likely takes us out of the QB market with this draft, and that's not a bad thing.

The Gabbert pick up is honestly a great move for a team looking for a young QB to develop as Kaep's back up. The 49ers were never going to find a QB in this draft with Gabbert's talent in the 6th round. We essential got a 1st round talent with 3 years of NFL experience for just a 6th round pick.

Sure Gabbert was awful in Jacksonville, but that does not change the fact he was considered by some the top QB in the same draft class that featured Kaepernick. Gabbert played on an absolutely awful Jags team the last 3 years. A team so bad they can't even get fans to come watch them play. Think about this for a minute, put Kaepernick on those same Jaguar teams and have him starting as a rookie. Where do you guys think Kaep's career would be right now? Probably around the same place as Gabbert's.

Gabbert now gets to remove himself from the pressures of turning around that crappy organization and come learn and play for a former NFL QB turned Head Coach. He knows he likely won't be starting, but at the same time this is absolutely the best thing he could have hoped for to turn his career around.

I'll take getting a talented, young, experienced NFL QB for a 6th round pick any day over using a higher pick on an unknown college prospect or over paying for a veteran backup. If Gabbert can play up to his potential now that he is with a good coaching staff for QB's and free from the stress of being a 1st round QB the move is an absolute steal for us. If he is unable to then oh well it's not like we traded for a starter. Gabbert is instantly an upgrade over everything we had behind Kaep last year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Picking up Gabbert likely takes us out of the QB market with this draft, and that's not a bad thing.

The Gabbert pick up is honestly a great move for a team looking for a young QB to develop as Kaep's back up. The 49ers were never going to find a QB in this draft with Gabbert's talent in the 6th round. We essential got a 1st round talent with 3 years of NFL experience for just a 6th round pick.

Sure Gabbert was awful in Jacksonville, but that does not change the fact he was considered by some the top QB in the same draft class that featured Kaepernick. Gabbert played on an absolutely awful Jags team the last 3 years. A team so bad they can't even get fans to come watch them play. Think about this for a minute, put Kaepernick on those same Jaguar teams and have him starting as a rookie. Where do you guys think Kaep's career would be right now? Probably around the same place as Gabbert's.

Gabbert now gets to remove himself from the pressures of turning around that crappy organization and come learn and play for a former NFL QB turned Head Coach. He knows he likely won't be starting, but at the same time this is absolutely the best thing he could have hoped for to turn his career around.

I'll take getting a talented, young, experienced NFL QB for a 6th round pick any day over using a higher pick on an unknown college prospect or over paying for a veteran backup. If Gabbert can play up to his potential now that he is with a good coaching staff for QB's and free from the stress of being a 1st round QB the move is an absolute steal for us. If he is unable to then oh well it's not like we traded for a starter. Gabbert is instantly an upgrade over everything we had behind Kaep last year as well.

110% agree. Gabbert for a 6th was a steal.

Only problem I see is he's on a 1 year contract. We need to extend him somehow on the cheap.

How much you think he could get for a contract extension? $2M/year?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
110% agree. Gabbert for a 6th was a steal.

Only problem I see is he's on a 1 year contract. We need to extend him somehow on the cheap.

How much you think he could get for a contract extension? $2M/year?

I envision Harbs working with him on the mental side of the game, getting him to feel as if Harbs is a believer in him in order to rehab Gabbert's psyche throughout the season. From there, that camaraderie and feeling of belonging will help the Niners move towards a reasonable contract extension as the Niners' future backup QB.

Or he could suck shit and we let him go a la McCoy at the end of the contract and never look back.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh should charge a QB rehab fee for getting his head and footwork back together again. Don't be surprised if we press Gabbert to restructure his contract to stay on the team like with McCoy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Harbaugh should charge a QB rehab fee for getting his head and footwork back together again. Don't be surprised if we press Gabbert to restructure his contract to stay on the team like with McCoy.

Gabbert's contract is fully-guaranteed. If the team were to cut him, they'd still be on the hook for his full salary. There's really not any strong-arming that can be done, unless you're talking about an extension, but Gabbert doesn't have a financial incentive to do anything at the moment.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh yes that's right - I think this was addressed in detail when we first signed him but I forgot. Looks like the only pressure they can apply is to get an athletic 3rd QB to compete with him for the backup role, but he should be safe for this year.