• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gabbert Signed

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 6th rounder for Gabbert. What's the harm. Instead of drafting a QB as a backup, Niners could add depth to the DL.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Gabbert coming out of college, but quickly changed my mind about him after the preseason. The guy gets rattled way too easily, but behind a good OL he could impress.

As a mizzu fan, I knew right away that leaving early was a bad day. Against any kind of pass rush he would get happy feet, and that's not something you have time to work on in the NFL. I really think another year in college would have done him a world of good. He has all the tools in the world, but he needs work, if anyone can do it, I think Harbaugh could turn him around. It'll be interesting to see what he can do in the preseason.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is jumping the gun on this Gabbert trade... It's not like the Niners gave up a lot and there is no guarantee that they will keep him in the final roster... Trading for Gabbert does not automatically preclude the Niners drafting a QB.. It just gives them a safety net if none of the higher QB prospect is available by the time the Niners draft...

I agree. There is going to be heavy interest in QB's and Harbaugh may not have a shot at Girapolo. All though I really hope we get him it will probably cost a 2nd round pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The only real down side could be his salary, but I think someone posted something about him restructuring or something.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert... wtf guess they didn't want anyone who could either challenge Kaep or win if Kaep goes down.... I'd rather have kept Colt McCoy... or found out what Cody Pickett was up to.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would sign Gabbert to an extension. Like 3 years, $5M with no bonus so that way it's like a bunch of 1 year deals.

That would buy us leverage with Kap's contract.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy was terrible anyway. This isn't a great signing, but I like it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta admit, I'm a little intrigued by this. Obviously it's a long shot that Gabbert actually does anything with the Niners, but he's got some similarities to Alex Smith, and Harbaugh was able to turn Smith around. And the Niners have had a great track record recently in terms of rehabilitating disappointing first round picks. For a 6th rounder, I think it's worth a shot.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit, I'm a little intrigued by this. Obviously it's a long shot that Gabbert actually does anything with the Niners, but he's got some similarities to Alex Smith, and Harbaugh was able to turn Smith around. And the Niners have had a great track record recently in terms of rehabilitating disappointing first round picks. For a 6th rounder, I think it's worth a shot.

We needed a backup anyway. Now take a gamble in the late rounds of the draft and have a competition for the backup. I don't think it was that bad.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this. Gabbert is a back up with starting experience, plus I'm ready to find out what Harbaugh can do with his talent.

Actually I think I've mentioned this before.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I said it last year and in years past that if somebody can find me a realistic worse QB name to add to the team than Colt McCoy then go ahead and try but you probably can't do it. I said to friends when he was in college that I'd legally change my name to Colt McCoy (awful name) if he could become an average-above average quarterback at any point in his career.

I said when they traded for him that any of you probably couldn't name me a realistic quarterback I'd want LESS on the 49ers as a backup than Colt McCoy. He literally was at the bottom of my list. Last. Nobody behind him. I'd rather have McLeod Bethel-Thompson who was on the 49ers backing up Kaepernick than McCoy.

Gabbert is slightly above McCoy but not by much. It's not a shocking move to me, though. Harbaugh was on his believer list when he came out, according to reports. This feels more like a Harbaugh move than a predominately backed Baalke move with some kind of support from Harbaugh.

I'm not going to act like most fans and think that there's this long list of guys that were realistically available for the 49ers to pick from, but this is another one of a semi long list of depth players that I don't/didn't like.

On a childish, superficial level. Gabbert is EXTREMELY hard to look at physically, too. That doesn't help. :)

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's funny, last night I was glancing over the FA lists wondering which disappointing former first round pick we would go for this year. Gabbert never, ever crossed my mind.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it last year and in years past that if somebody can find me a realistic worse QB name to add to the team than Colt McCoy then go ahead and try but you probably can't do it. I said to friends when he was in college that I'd legally change my name to Colt McCoy (awful name) if he could become an average-above average quarterback at any point in his career.

I said when they traded for him that any of you probably couldn't name me a realistic quarterback I'd want LESS on the 49ers as a backup than Colt McCoy. He literally was at the bottom of my list. Last. Nobody behind him. I'd rather have McLeod Bethel-Thompson who was on the 49ers backing up Kaepernick than McCoy.

Gabbert is slightly above McCoy but not by much. It's not a shocking move to me, though. Harbaugh was on his believer list when he came out, according to reports. This feels more like a Harbaugh move than a predominately backed Baalke move with some kind of support from Harbaugh.

I'm not going to act like most fans and think that there's this long list of guys that were realistically available for the 49ers to pick from, but this is another one of a semi long list of depth players that I don't/didn't like.

On a childish, superficial level. Gabbert is EXTREMELY hard to look at physically, too. That doesn't help. :)

LOL. He'll fit right in with kaepernick then who is a dead ringer for Squidward Tentacles from the Sponge Bob cartoon series.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]
LOL. He'll fit right in with kaepernick then who is a dead ringer for Squidward Tentacles from the Sponge Bob cartoon series.

What a Kaep hater you are, fucking loser

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What would Gabbert's incentive be? Just wondering. They traded a sixth round for him and I suppose they could just forget it and cut him, but why? It seems like he should keep the deal he has (2.01 for one year) over 1M for one year. Is it that he thinks by doing so he could get another year from it? I mean, 1 million is pretty low. A backup can make up to 4 Million a year (Moore, but he was competing for starter) (3.625 for Hasselbeck.)

How much of his 2M is guaranteed? What's his incentive to take a pay cut? How about a job? Here's the conversation:

Baalke: Hi Blake Gabbert's agent, we'd like your client to cut his pay in half this year.
BGA: Hahahaha. No way, he's making 2M this year.
Baalke: Not from us. You think you can get that on the open market in August? We'll keep him on the roster for a camp arm, then cut him in preseason.
BGA: So how bit a cut are we talking?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, but I think he is saying that trading that sixth rounder means they wouldn't draft a higher QB to develop that would have made the roster for cheaper. Develop and trade that higher picked prospect (for a good pick) versus develop but hope never to see the field (Gabbert)?

Why? Having McCoy last year didn't stop us from drafting BJ Daniels. We have lots of picks, Gabbert is guaranteed nothing. We can still draft a QB, and if he shows more than Gabbert, we keep him instead. Does anyone feel that signing Eric Wright today means we won't draft a CB?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josina Anderson:

Source on why the 49ers picked up Blaine Gabbert: "The QB whisperer can do wonders." #SoThere'sThat

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prefer gabbert over McCoy. Not by much but whatever. Let harbaugh work on him. As long as they fix that cap hit.