• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why even ask the question wanting him to respond?

Your opinion doesn't make his wrong.

Because I thought asking the question would solve our difference in opinion, as IMO, every GM in the league would take Sherman or Peterson over Suh.

And you are correct -- it doesn't make him wrong. No one is ever wrong when it is opinion based. I just like trying to bring up points to see if I help them come over to my side of the conversation.:whistle:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dark side...

There is nothing wrong with the dark side. I honestly just try to look at the Lions players without any bias, just because they play on the team I love.

I think Suh is a tremendous player and one of the top 3 DT in the NFL (with Geno Atkins and Gerald McCoy), where he ranks would be nothing more than personal preference. I think paying him 30-40% more than either of those players would be way overpaying him to stay in Detroit and will only hurt the team, as a whole, as they will have to cut corners elsewhere to fill the roster.

The part I don't understand is -- the comments from Lions fans saying -- I'd like to see Watt face double teams consistently or I'd like to see Atkins face the type of blocking Suh does -- as if these players aren't getting the same treatment as Suh. Of course they are -- great players produce no matter what a team does to try and stop them.

Out of curiosity -- If Calvin Johnson puts up 700 yards next year and like 5 touchdowns. Are you still going to call him the best WR in the NFL, because he faces double teams all the time? Of course not -- he is consider the best because he produces no matter what teams do to try and stop him. THAT is why he is the highest paid player in the NFL that isn't a QB.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watt does actually get single blocked quite a bit. Sometimes a TE will stay in to double, but DEs don't get doubled that often. More chip blocks and such than full double teams. DEs also get more of the pretty stats than DTs. Yes, I know, Watt got some pretty stats while lining up at DT. He also wasn't playing for Schwartz.

One thing I've noticed. Teams seldom try to run on 3rd and short anymore. When they do, they usually end up punting.

If Mayhew isn't stupid enough to trade Suh, let's see what he does when the defense isn't totally predictable. If he is that stupid, better hope our CBs are good tacklers.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watt does actually get single blocked quite a bit. Sometimes a TE will stay in to double, but DEs don't get doubled that often. More chip blocks and such than full double teams. DEs also get more of the pretty stats than DTs. Yes, I know, Watt got some pretty stats while lining up at DT. He also wasn't playing for Schwartz.

Watt is listed as a DE, because Houston's base defense is a 3-4, so he is still seeing double teams and when Houston goes to a 4-3, Watt lines up at DT. Which is why 12 of his 20.5 sacks came when lined up as a DT.

If you feel Schwartz was holding back Suh? What kind of year do you expect from him coming up? Personally -- unless Suh is giving us rookie year type numbers, year in and year out -- I don't see how giving him a deal like many believe he is asking for is prudent for the team.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly just try to look at the Lions players without any bias, just because they play on the team I love.
Youre not the only one. Others simply see the players differently, or the same. Even Kreton, the board-named most positive Lions fan has stated issues with certain players.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how giving him a deal like many believe he is asking for is prudent for the team.
I don't think there are many, if any, fans that are ok with giving Suh the type of money being guesstimated. But something has to and will be done. He's either gonna get the money he's alledgedly(by the board) asking for, he'll get what the Lions deem necessary, or he'll get traded. I don't see him playing out his current contract.

I just think it's wise to start getting ready to deal with one of these options, even if it's not one you agree with.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

I also think it's the board that has decided that he's seeking to become the highest paid defender in the league. I haven't heard anything about those specific figures from anyone actually involved (Suh's camp, or the Lions office), so right now it's just a rumor that has been latched on to and seems to be the accepted truth around here.

I think he does deserve just a bit more than Geno Atkins got so he can be the highest paid at his position.

Let's remember going forward that all this talk about him demanding to be the highest paid defensive player in the league is purely speculation at this time...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I see you still have that riddle up as your avatar, Micro, even though I answered it weeks ago... Johnny would sweep the leg. Isn't it obvious? What do I win?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I see you still have that riddle up as your avatar, Micro, even though I answered it weeks ago... Johnny would sweep the leg. Isn't it obvious? What do I win?

It's more of a life motto than a riddle. When situations in life arise, you gotta ask yourself, "What would Johnny do? ".

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more of a life motto than a riddle. When situations in life arise, you gotta ask yourself, "What would Johnny do? ".
So you're saying next time I'm pissed off at the boss, I should just sweep the leg and see where it goes from there? Got it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just picture this system working out great for me...

"Sir, do you have any idea how fast you were going? Please step out of the vehicle. Do you have anything sharp in your pockets? Any needles or anything that's going to-" WHAM! Sweep the leg!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just picture this system working out great for me...

"Sir, do you have any idea how fast you were going? Please step out of the vehicle. Do you have anything sharp in your pockets? Any needles or anything that's going to-" WHAM! Sweep the leg!

derekrocco_15.gif

Imagine how fucking surprised that cop would be if this happened? Mr. Myagi wouldn't be there to save his ass.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying next time I'm pissed off at the boss, I should just sweep the leg and see where it goes from there? Got it.

Yep. You stare his ass down like this.....

screenshot-med-34.jpg

Then bam.....

sweep-the-leg-o.gif

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can use that mode of thinking when bitches be gettin' out of line too.

AmericangirlgetsawhoopinginCancun.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What would you like to base it on? Detroit defense has ranked 23rd, 21st, 14th and 16th with Suh on the roster. Detroit pass defense has ranked 16th, 23rd, 14th and 23rd with Suh on the roster. Detroit rush defense has ranked 24th, 23rd, 16th and 6th with Suh on the roster.

I'm not sure what it is you want to base it on. It isn't as if Suh is the only guy in the NFL facing double teams consistently. Every great player on the defensive line is facing consistent double teams.

I give Suh props -- he was 2nd in the NFL in QB hurries for a DT and graded out as the 2nd best DT in the NFL in 2013.

To me, personally, that equates to a guy who deserves to be the top paid DT, but he already is that. It doesn't equate to being the highest paid defensive player though.

Something has to give -- Our DL, which is stacked with 1st round picks, including a #2 overall, a #5 overall and #13 overall -- yet they finished 12th in the NFL in sacks for defensive lines.

Maybe Detroit feels they can break the bank on Suh and draft Donald at #10 and hope he is more consistent than Fairley? Maybe they try and keep Fairley at a discounted rate and draft Donald, opening up a ton of cap space next year to upgrade elsewhere and they trade Suh, or god forbid, let him walk and get a 3rd round pick.

We just don't know. Everything right now is purely speculation, from the fans and media. The only people who know what is going to happen is the front office in Detroit.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this time I thought the answer to WWJD was go to a hotel and sign shit for money... Who knew?