• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mentioned trading Suh.

This from Freep writer Drew Sharp. If there ever was a pessimist it would be him as far as pertaining the Lions.... Drew Sharp: Ndamukong Suh no-show sends signal to Lions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Here's a statement from him;

It’s laughable listening to those suggesting that concerns regarding Suh’s absence are merely a media contrivance, an attempt at creating controversy where none really exists. Jim Caldwell insists he wasn’t “blindsided” by Suh’s actions. But it’s never a good thing when a new coach responsible for articulating a new winning culture must opt for damage control during his first chance to work with his new players.

The correct strategy regarding Suh hasn’t changed. Give him an ultimatum: either there’s a contract extension by month’s end or notify his representatives to find a willing trading partner before the draft. It doesn’t matter how impactful he has performed in four years in Detroit. How many playoff appearances have the Lions made with Suh and how many playoff games have they won with him?

Never been a Sharp fan...

His theory of Lions being dependent on Suh is same used for QB's. Tired of media making one person the reason for sucess or failure. Doubt anyone would write same about CJ other than Drew.

I just wonder why Mayhew gets no blame for these absurd contracts and the restructures? Throwing bad money at bad money. Which is what will happen to keep Suh here. Must of been small print in those articles of Mayhew's slate cleaned. His slate and Lewand's should have been wiped clean along with Schwartz.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ndamukong Suh on the trade block?

Scott Bischoff of NewEraScouting.com reports that the Detroit Lions are discussing the possibility of trading Suh in order to move up as high as possible in the first round of this years NFL Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Bischoff of NewEraScouting.com reports that the Detroit Lions are discussing the possibility of trading Suh in order to move up as high as possible in the first round of this years NFL Draft.

I love Suh, but if the Lions could get a top 5 pick for him -- giving them 2 picks in the top 10 -- I would do so in a heart beat. The amount of money being talked about to get him to sign an extension is astronomical for a DT and that is if he even signs an extension with the Lions (which isn't a sure thing).

Only way I see this happening though is if the front office doesn't feel they are going to be able to sign Suh to an extension and instead of letting him walk in FA next year, they want to get something in return.

I pray to the god above though -- if the Lions do trade Suh for a top 10 pick. They use not one, but both picks on the defense, as the Lions defense without Suh, is going to need all the help they can get.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy would I love a Watkins and Donald at 10 or a Clowney and Evans at 10 or a Mack and Gilbert at 10.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy would I love a Watkins and Donald at 10 or a Clowney and Evans at 10 or a Mack and Gilbert at 10.

Donald would almost have to be the pick at #10, as the Lions don't have much for depth at DT anymore. CJ Mosely or Andre Fluellen would have to start for us, if they trade away Suh or Fairley. Then again -- The draft is pretty deep at DT and they possibly could get a quality DT in the 2nd round, like Hageman or Jernigan if they slip out of the 1st round. A couple guys will probably be there in round 2, but Detroit's luck drafting players previously injured isn't too good, so guys like Tuitt (foot surgery) and Easley (torn ACL), more than likely won't be drafted by us.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack and Donald, if Suh were to be traded, seems solid IMO. We could still get a 3rd WR that will be targeted maybe 75 times for the season (with a reception rate of 60%, or 45 catches) later on. That WR won't come with all the hype Watkins and Evans have but could still be solid. A WR with great hands and body control would do just fine.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald would almost have to be the pick at #10, as the Lions don't have much for depth at DT anymore. CJ Mosely or Andre Fluellen would have to start for us, if they trade away Suh or Fairley. Then again -- The draft is pretty deep at DT and they possibly could get a quality DT in the 2nd round, like Hageman or Jernigan if they slip out of the 1st round. A couple guys will probably be there in round 2, but Detroit's luck drafting players previously injured isn't too good, so guys like Tuitt (foot surgery) and Easley (torn ACL), more than likely won't be drafted by us.

This draft is not that deep as far as 4-3 DT's go that are quality. You do realize that Hageman's knock is that he disappears all too often in games, Fairley remind you of that in any way. Jernigan's knock is that he was gassed in both the ACC championship and BCS games.

I'd much rather see Donald in a Lions uni, who has proven to be a workout warrior and a student of the game.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ndamukong Suh on the trade block?

They better the fuck not!!!

That might be the last straw. If Mayhew can't recognize the value of Suh, then this franchise isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could get a good DT in the 2nd. Truitt is pretty good. Nobody else is reporting this rumor though. How reliable is the source? Anybody know?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could get a good DT in the 2nd. Truitt is pretty good. Nobody else is reporting this rumor though. How reliable is the source? Anybody know?

There's been "speculation" for a long time regarding Suh and trade (via media) but remember reporters like to stir the pot just as much as fans do. Reliable source, when is the media truly a reliable source until it's all said and done no matter what the subject pertains to.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at what Carolina Panthers did last year in the draft. 1st and 2nd round picks both were DT's Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. Carolina adding those two only helped to improve DE's Hardy and Johnson. NYJets DT Sheldon Richardson won Def Rookie of The Year award.

Suh is not "THE" end all be all DT, JMO, and surely not for possibly wanting to be the highest paid Defensive player.

There will be many a fans screaming if he does happen to get traded.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could get a good DT in the 2nd. Truitt is pretty good.

The only problem with Truitt is -- he hasn't been able to work out for teams (unless this has changed recently) because he had surgery on his foot for stress fractures. Last I read, he still had a walking boot on his foot.

Easley will probably be there, but he won't be able to workout for teams either because of a torn ACL he is recovering from.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is not "THE" end all be all DT, JMO, and surely not for possibly wanting to be the highest paid Defensive player.

There will be many a fans screaming if he does happen to get traded.

I think if Detroit does trade Suh -- it is simply because they knew they weren't going to be able to sign him to an extension.

I actually think Suh is planning on testing FA anyways. Wouldn't mean re-signing him cannot happen, but I just believe he wants to go thru the process and have teams woo him. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a west coast team, like say Oakland, to be closer to his hometown.

I just hope if they do trade Suh -- it is straight up for a 1st round pick and Detroit doesn't have to throw anything else in. From reading that article -- they kept using the word "package", as if Detroit would need to add something else with Suh to move up?!?!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better the fuck not!!!

That might be the last straw. If Mayhew can't recognize the value of Suh, then this franchise isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So what do you feel Suh's value is? If he is demanding a contract that makes him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL -- you think the Lions should give it to him?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you feel Suh's value is? If he is demanding a contract that makes him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL -- you think the Lions should give it to him?

No. I think he can be the highest-paid DT, but not the highest-paid defender. $12MM yes, $15MM no.

What is his trade value? If the partner can work out an extension first (ahem, Raiders, Jaguars have cap room to burn) then I'd say a high first is actually pretty reasonable. If the money isn't a problem there isn't a defender in the draft who is better than Suh.

If no extension (so he becomes a very expensive one-year rental followed by a third-round compensatory pick) I'd say a second is all we'll get.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think Suh is planning on testing FA anyways. Wouldn't mean re-signing him cannot happen, but I just believe he wants to go thru the process and have teams woo him. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a west coast team, like say Oakland, to be closer to his hometown.

THIS... I stated it back in February.. He fit perfectly in Oakland, IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem with Truitt is -- he hasn't been able to work out for teams (unless this has changed recently) because he had surgery on his foot for stress fractures. Last I read, he still had a walking boot on his foot.

Easley will probably be there, but he won't be able to workout for teams either because of a torn ACL he is recovering from.

Easley has now gone through two ACL's while at Florida... just sayin'

And NO to drafting either of these two players coming off injuries. Best, Fox, Titus (mentally), Broyles..

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think he can be the highest-paid DT, but not the highest-paid defender. $12MM yes, $15MM no.

What is his trade value? If the partner can work out an extension first (ahem, Raiders, Jaguars have cap room to burn) then I'd say a high first is actually pretty reasonable. If the money isn't a problem there isn't a defender in the draft who is better than Suh.

If no extension (so he becomes a very expensive one-year rental followed by a third-round compensatory pick) I'd say a second is all we'll get.

He made the most money ever by a rookie through his 1st four years. 51.7 million. That's an average of 12.925 million per year. I highly doubt he'll seek less in his 2nd contract than what he made off his rookie contract. And the argument of how rookies get paid now can be thrown out the door.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made the most money ever by a rookie through his 1st four years. 51.7 million. That's an average of 12.925 million per year. I highly doubt he'll seek less in his 2nd contract than what he made off his rookie contract. And the argument of how rookies get paid now can be thrown out the door.

If I were Mayhew I would tell him that with all due respect, nobody will pay him more. The first contract was based on the crazy rookie scale and while we love him, this is a business and the offer is fair.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is exactly what I said. The problem with saying he should be the highest paid defensive tackle is............he already is the highest paid DT. IMO, he isn't worth the type of money that is going to be paid to someone like Richard Sherman (who can lock down half the field) or a guy like say JJ Watt, who has just been dominate the last two years (31 sacks, 23 passes defenses, 38 stuffs, 8 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries).

I'm sorry but very few players can demand a contract to make them the highest paid defensive player and it'd make sense. Suh is not one of them.

If Suh is given 16 million a year -- JJ Watt should get 26 million a year.:laugh3: