• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FSU backup Quarterback, Coker, to Alabama

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob Coker to Alabama?

I don't know much about him so if any FSU fans want to comment I would appreciate it. It sounds like he would have a real shot at being Bama's starting QB. He would be eligible immediately based on graduating in May. Below is a report about it. I realize it's not official but every person I count on for inside information says he's coming! He's 6'5 and a physical specimen. I heard it put more than once that he's a white man's version of Jameis Winston, whatever the hell that means! :noidea:

Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban Visits Home of Ex-FSU QB Jacob Coker | Bleacher Report

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no responses yet, but I think it could give Alabama something it will be needing next year! I look for Bama to have the kind of year people thought they would have last year. There is a ton of talent on this team and Coker could be just the type QB Kiffin needs? He will have plenty of weapons around him so he can move into it slowly.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is the real fuckin deal. He will be our best qb we have had under saban even better than AJ. Not only can he throw but he is mobile too. Hopefully we will run the up tempo zone read with him.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard it put more than once that he's a white man's version of Jameis Winston, whatever the hell that means!

He has a pretty good arm but I wouldnt take it that far.

Mobility is decent. I think he's a good pickup for Bama.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bama is settling for sloppy seconds. :laugh3:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bama is settling for sloppy seconds. :laugh3:

Do you really want to go there? Don't really want to insult other huskie fans, but if you want to start a pissing contest you'll all get wet.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, considering he's never played, about to graduate and couldn't beat out a freshman, just how good is he really?

Of course, given the offense Bama has run under Saban, they've never needed a great QB, just one that could make basic throws. I'm not sold ANY decent QB can't succeed at Bama as long as they pound the ball behind huge OLs and run play action passes.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, considering he's never played, about to graduate and couldn't beat out a freshman, just how good is he really?

Of course, given the offense Bama has run under Saban, they've never needed a great QB, just one that could make basic throws. I'm not sold ANY decent QB can't succeed at Bama as long as they pound the ball behind huge OLs and run play action passes.

God love ya....but aside of Vince Young isn't that the Texas "recipe for success"?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God love ya....but aside of Vince Young isn't that the Texas "recipe for success"?

Nope. VY and Colt, two of the most successful QBs at Texas ever, played as RS freshmen and sophmores.

If he is transferring, doesn't he have to sit out a year anyway? What are the rules on this? I thought Bama had like 50 QBs on the roster anyway, so somebody probably has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^Didn't watch a single Alabama game last year, but continues to talk as if he knows.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. VY and Colt, two of the most successful QBs at Texas ever, played as RS freshmen and sophmores.

If he is transferring, doesn't he have to sit out a year anyway? What are the rules on this? I thought Bama had like 50 QBs on the roster anyway, so somebody probably has to go.

AJ played as a RS sophomore. Your point?

Players that graduate don't have to sit out a year. 1 of our QBs has already transfered to Oregon St, but he wasn't even on a scholarship so he can be available for them right away as well.

Others will likely transfer as well.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ played as a RS sophomore. Your point?

Players that graduate don't have to sit out a year. 1 of our QBs has already transfered to Oregon St, but he wasn't even on a scholarship so he can be available for them right away as well.

Others will likely transfer as well.

I'm not talking about AJ, I'm talking about the FSU transfer. He was at FSU, graduated, and never saw the field.

I guess the Bama QB situation is just muddled without AJ, but they should have a TON of kids on the roster already. Maybe you guys are just like us.......no clue who should start

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about AJ, I'm talking about the FSU transfer. He was at FSU, graduated, and never saw the field.

I guess the Bama QB situation is just muddled without AJ, but they should have a TON of kids on the roster already. Maybe you guys are just like us.......no clue who should start

Our other QB's don't have much experience, and we have a guy coming in as a freshmen this year that is expected to RS, and then will likely start as a RS sophomore in 2 years after Coker is gone - if Coker stays 2 years.

Our backup QB last year was Blake Sims, he wasn't even recruited as a QB and isn't a very good QB. We are screwed if he starts, and we would have been screwed last year if AJ had gotten hurt. Which is funny because people like you always want to put down the Alabama QB because you don't know shit.

Luke Del Rio was a walk on QB, but he had offers for other major schools. He just transferred to Oregon St.

Then we have Alex Morris who is a RS sophomore. I don't know what his deal is honestly, but he was unable to beat out Blake Sims for 2nd string last year, and that says a good bit. I expect he will transfer soon, or accept that he will never be a starter. He wasn't a highly ranked recruit really.

Then we have 2 RS freshmen from last year. Bateman and McLeod. McLeod was never going to be more than a backup, but Bateman was supposed to be a very good recruit. But supposedly, Del Rio was ahead of him on the depth chart, but it was never shown on the field. I'm not sure what his deal is, but I think he will likely transfer if Coker beats him out. RollTide_14 probably knows things better than me but I would think Bateman is the person Coker would compete with for the starting job.

But the real future everyone is waiting for is Cornwell, who is part of this years class. Coker is likely going to serve as a great buffer until Cornwell is ready.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our other QB's don't have much experience, and we have a guy coming in as a freshmen this year that is expected to RS, and then will likely start as a RS sophomore in 2 years after Coker is gone - if Coker stays 2 years.

Our backup QB last year was Blake Sims, he wasn't even recruited as a QB and isn't a very good QB. We are screwed if he starts, and we would have been screwed last year if AJ had gotten hurt. Which is funny because people like you always want to put down the Alabama QB because you don't know shit.

Luke Del Rio was a walk on QB, but he had offers for other major schools. He just transferred to Oregon St.

Then we have Alex Morris who is a RS sophomore. I don't know what his deal is honestly, but he was unable to beat out Blake Sims for 2nd string last year, and that says a good bit. I expect he will transfer soon, or accept that he will never be a starter. He wasn't a highly ranked recruit really.

Then we have 2 RS freshmen from last year. Bateman and McLeod. McLeod was never going to be more than a backup, but Bateman was supposed to be a very good recruit. But supposedly, Del Rio was ahead of him on the depth chart, but it was never shown on the field. I'm not sure what his deal is, but I think he will likely transfer if Coker beats him out. RollTide_14 probably knows things better than me but I would think Bateman is the person Coker would compete with for the starting job.

But the real future everyone is waiting for is Cornwell, who is part of this years class. Coker is likely going to serve as a great buffer until Cornwell is ready.

Fair enough.

And my opinion on Bama QBs is that they don't NEED to be world beaters at Bama with the offense and OL you have. My point has been well proven with Bama QBs in the NFL. But continue to tell me I'm clueless.....we can ALL recognize minimal talent when we see it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

And my opinion on Bama QBs is that they don't NEED to be world beaters at Bama with the offense and OL you have. My point has been well proven with Bama QBs in the NFL. But continue to tell me I'm clueless.....we can ALL recognize minimal talent when we see it.

Then you haven't been watching Alabama recently since we haven't been a running team and that was what people didn't like about Nuss.

Are you trying to claim that the QB's have to be like the best ever in the NFL for them to be considered good QB's that can move the ball in the air? And yet at the same time, you'll be all over McCoys nuts?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison to Winston in physical abilities is correct except for one thing. Coker can run much better than Winston can. Coker has an absolute cannon for an arm. The only reason he did not get the starting job over Winston was due to chemistry with the receivers. Coker sees he will not get any PT with Winston being there. So he decided to transfer. He has two more years of eligibility since he will be a graduate student. He can be a big time player for Alabama or at FSU had he stayed.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you haven't been watching Alabama recently since we haven't been a running team and that was what people didn't like about Nuss.

Are you trying to claim that the QB's have to be like the best ever in the NFL for them to be considered good QB's that can move the ball in the air? And yet at the same time, you'll be all over McCoys nuts?

Wrong on all counts.

I've never said they weren't good COLLEGE QBs. And I've never been on McCoys nuts, and said he would be no better than a backup at the next level.

Unlike you, I don't overestimate every player that puts on my teams uniform. Bama rarely, if EVER, has great QBs in terms of talent. McCarron may end up as a solid pro......not a great one. A game manager. He's not going to be some Peyton Manning type guy that will consistently put up 3 and 400 yard games.

That doesn't mean he isn't a good player or solid player. He's just not a PLAYMAKER. He's not on the deep talent level of the pool.

Pretty much no Bama QB is. Because most of the time you don't rely on them to be that. You don't recruit those guys. And absolutely EVERYONE can see it but YOU.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no responses yet, but I think it could give Alabama something it will be needing next year! I look for Bama to have the kind of year people thought they would have last year. There is a ton of talent on this team and Coker could be just the type QB Kiffin needs? He will have plenty of weapons around him so he can move into it slowly.

Well, if he can throw it deep ala AL Davis' late 70s early 80s Raiders then watch out SEC.

If he has a accurate deep ball like when Kiffin had Barkley bombing to Woods, Lee, and Agholar then the SEC should be put on notice.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison to Winston in physical abilities is correct except for one thing. Coker can run much better than Winston can. Coker has an absolute cannon for an arm. The only reason he did not get the starting job over Winston was due to chemistry with the receivers. Coker sees he will not get any PT with Winston being there. So he decided to transfer. He has two more years of eligibility since he will be a graduate student. He can be a big time player for Alabama or at FSU had he stayed.

Well then its settled. Kiffin will utilize this guys cannon and make teams pay for stuffing the box vs Bama's run.

Scary.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama you will be shocked at the number of long bombs you are about to see if this kid's arm is as big as FSUmanager suggests.