• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free college tuition

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge believer in the success of a post secondary education.

I started a pay program for my 3 year old niece

$25×12×18=5,400. Good enough for 4 years I think.

I got in to a program for people with disabilities. Still paid books and Tuition fees. I'll just make sure that she has a path instead of me when I started. Led to a mistake that I regret.

With that being said. She seems like a smart cookie with some love of sports. So I need to figure out if I could move money to another one.
I don't know what $5,400 is going to pay for 18 years from now (maybe books), but good for you, you are a good uncle :thumb:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the same view of things like this as I do with health care in that you're just trying to put a little bandage over a gaping wound instead of getting down to the root of the problem and solving it.

High school level education could use a massive overhaul and be more focused on career training rather than educating them in areas that they'll never need or use in their lives. Think of how many kids would've been better off learning a trade in high school than calculus.

As for college it needs to be hammered home that there is nothing wrong with going to a community college and that it's not the end of the world if you don't go to one of the most expensive schools in the country.

And college itself should be streamlined. If you want to learn a specific job than you should only be required to learn the skills of that specific job instead of padding by having to take classes that barely have to do with your desired career path.
I think you want to expose kids to everything because you never know what they will excel at or end up doing in life. That being said, I think most kids taking calculus in HS aren't looking at getting into "a trade" when they are 18. And If they do, any smart kid can tag along and learn a trade if they have the mechanical aptitude. They are better off taking calculus if they can do it. Now if you are talking about kids that are still taking Algebra as Seniors then I change my answer...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i guess u gotta know what ur doing. Im in pgh, and i transferred mine to pitt. I know that did psu, WVU, some bigger schools

Any excuse to post this. Let's Go Pitt...

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the issues are when you transfer from CC to University so many of the credits don’t transfer into your University program. Counselors at CC always say, “Yes, this course will transfer but so often the University doesn’t accept it in your chosen major.

Wrong

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the issues are when you transfer from CC to University so many of the credits don’t transfer into your University program. Counselors at CC always say, “Yes, this course will transfer but so often the University doesn’t accept it in your chosen major.
I think that's on the student to verify. Don't trust college advisors

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's on the student to verify. Don't trust college advisors

Exactly! Happens all the time but when your 18 you’re not savvy enough to know this and you trust your CC counselor. I told my daughter but she didn’t listen and did a year of classes at CC for no credit at her University

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! Happens all the time but when your 18 you’re not savvy enough to know this and you trust your CC counselor. I told my daughter but she didn’t listen and did a year of classes at CC for no credit at her University

sure she did.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure she did.

Why? Why? Why would there be any reason for me to lie about something so pointless and meaningless.

Cracks me up.
I say my daughters credits weren’t all accepted at University and you call me a liar but you say... (tons of exploits) and we are supposed to believe you.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Why? Why would there be any reason for me to lie about something so pointless and meaningless.

Cracks me up.
I say my daughters credits weren’t all accepted at University and you call me a liar but you say... (tons of exploits) and we are supposed to believe you.

You call me a liar all the time, don't you? I just happen to know that you sometimes embellish your accomplishments and bend the truth. Kids are able to get their Associates Degree while still in high school and you expect me to believe that Universities won't take the majority of those 60 hours? No way, you are wrong.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You call me a liar all the time, don't you? I just happen to know that you sometimes embellish your accomplishments and bend the truth. Kids are able to get their Associates Degree while still in high school and you expect me to believe that Universities won't take the majority of those 60 hours? No way, you are wrong.

I don’t know your local University and your local CC. But if you go on their websites they will have different requirements for their 1st two years.
The truth is later today I can go on my local CC and post their requirements and then I could post ASU’s and there will be differences. But if I did take the 10 minutes to do this and prove you wrong there isn’t a chance in hell that you’d simply say, “Dang, you were right”
I’ve never listed any of my accomplishments except one so I have no idea what you’re talking about.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know your local University and your local CC. But if you go on their websites they will have different requirements for their 1st two years.
The truth is later today I can go on my local CC and post their requirements and then I could post ASU’s and there will be differences. But if I did take the 10 minutes to do this and prove you wrong there isn’t a chance in hell that you’d simply say, “Dang, you were right”
I’ve never listed any of my accomplishments except one so I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Nothing you provide will take away the fact that you embellished. You can’t prove that you didn’t so stop and move on.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough and probably true but who picks up the rest? My guess would be the Middle Class like us
For sure it's us middle class people who fund the rest. I'm somewhat ok with it because there are many who go into a trade that is needed and other continue on with further education, but I think the one's who get the free tuition and don't finish their associates or graduate with a trade should be forced to pay back what the cost would have been.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure it's us middle class people who fund the rest. I'm somewhat ok with it because there are many who go into a trade that is needed and other continue on with further education, but I think the one's who get the free tuition and don't finish their associates or graduate with a trade should be forced to pay back what the cost would have been.

yeah but why do we as Middle Class continually have to pay for everything! When do WE get a break?!?!

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but why do we as Middle Class continually have to pay for everything! When do WE get a break?!?!
I don't think this is a federal thing. I don't mean to speak for other middle class Tennessean's but this is good for the state (a state that has grown significantly in the past 10-20 years). I don't think it would work in states like Massachusetts, where there is more importance put into education at young ages.

Tennessee. Nissan, General Motors, Volkswagen, Bridgestone, Hankook, and Denso Manufacturing, Beretta USA, and Whirlpool are among the manufacturing companies calling Tennesse home.

The state is making significant investments in education to make its workforce stronger. The commitment to educational programs is aligned with business needs and the state provides the funding to make it happen. The Drive to 55 program aims to bring the percentage of Tennesseans with college degrees or certifications to 55 percent by 2025. Students graduating with STEM-related qualifications at Tennessee institutions recently saw an increase of 20 percent in five years, while graduates in engineering, technologies, and related fields grew by over 25 percent.

A right-to-work state, Tennessee has no personal income tax on wages and salaries and has a long history of bipartisan fiscal responsibility, reflected in its Triple A rate by all major rating services. According to The Tax Foundation, Tennessee has the lowest state debt per capita in the country and is the second lowest in the United States for state and local tax taxes paid per capita.

Best states for manufacturing - Global Trade Magazine