• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free college tuition

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm iffy affy on this.

In one hand. It creates opportunities for people who don't have any

There are other issue, redseat pointed out. Who is rooting the bill???

Who is paying the professors or instructors????

I think that there are two endgame issues if it does happen.

Businesses are not going to look fondly on these. The students will have their dead end jobs.

And

Where does it end. Next thing that will be complained about is the workload

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm iffy affy on this.

In one hand. It creates opportunities for people who don't have any

There are other issue, redseat pointed out. Who is rooting the bill???

Who is paying the professors or instructors????

I think that there are two endgame issues if it does happen.

Businesses are not going to look fondly on these. The students will have their dead end jobs.

And

Where does it end. Next thing that will be complained about is the workload

I am hoping that this could potentially lower the price of a college like Harvard, Duke, MSU, Texas etc..... I don't see that happening at all but something needs to be done about that high price crap going up and up. When my niece and nephew (11 and 7) get to college it will around $100K per semester if not higher and that's fing insane!

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping that this could potentially lower the price of a college like Harvard, Duke, MSU, Texas etc..... I don't see that happening at all but something needs to be done about that high price crap going up and up. When my niece and nephew (11 and 7) get to college it will around $100K per semester if not higher and that's fing insane!

I'm a huge believer in the success of a post secondary education.

I started a pay program for my 3 year old niece

$25×12×18=5,400. Good enough for 4 years I think.

I got in to a program for people with disabilities. Still paid books and Tuition fees. I'll just make sure that she has a path instead of me when I started. Led to a mistake that I regret.

With that being said. She seems like a smart cookie with some love of sports. So I need to figure out if I could move money to another one.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have the same view of things like this as I do with health care in that you're just trying to put a little bandage over a gaping wound instead of getting down to the root of the problem and solving it.

High school level education could use a massive overhaul and be more focused on career training rather than educating them in areas that they'll never need or use in their lives. Think of how many kids would've been better off learning a trade in high school than calculus.

As for college it needs to be hammered home that there is nothing wrong with going to a community college and that it's not the end of the world if you don't go to one of the most expensive schools in the country.

And college itself should be streamlined. If you want to learn a specific job than you should only be required to learn the skills of that specific job instead of padding by having to take classes that barely have to do with your desired career path.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the same view of things like this as I do with health care in that you're just trying to put a little bandage over a gaping wound instead of getting down to the root of the problem and solving it.

High school level education could use a massive overhaul and be more focused on career training rather than educating them in areas that they'll never need or use in their lives. Think of how many kids would've been better off learning a trade in high school than calculus.

As for college it needs to be hammered home that there is nothing wrong with going to a community college and that it's not the end of the world if you don't go to one of the most expensive schools in the country.

And college itself should be streamlined. If you want to learn a specific job than you should only be required to learn the skills of that specific job instead of padding by having to take classes that barely have to do with your desired career path.

Yes, yes and yes. Time to over all the system.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The issue is you then need to get employers to hire people with no college degree but who have training in that specific job. In today's world a college degree is required for a plethora of jobs that didn't used to require it. Then , even if you get that to occur , you need the employer to pay at the same scale they were paying ( or at least close ). Otherwise the cost of labor decrease will drive income down everywhere

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all city schools here get free tuition, not anything in the suburbs though.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to me people don't bat an eye at massive subsidies for companies like GE and Verizon but investing in people is wasteful

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FREE....

You get bet your arse someone is paying for it.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite private schools will never lower their tuitions. They have zero incentive to. Plus they get so much in annual endowments they already have better financial aid resources than any state program could possibly provide.

I say this as someone who has 3 degrees. The best bang for your buck is community college. The days of the school name on your diploma opening doors are over. Why put yourself in major debt just for the label? Because that is essentially what you are paying for. If you can get the same degree for half the cost why wouldn't you?