• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im kind of bias when it comes to Jenkins because Im a Gators fan. Lol.

it's okay to be a homer for CFB or whatever.

c'mon, just say it out loud.
I, LS1, admit to being a Gator's CFB player homer.

LOL

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im guessing the Raiders because they've seen a lot of him

they better play him mostly as a press corner and not some zone garbage because he struggled mightily in zone while in Miami. scheme does matter but not to his guaranteed money.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I thought this was a general free agent thread. Posted before seeing it was a team board.

DJ come talk Suh and the Dolphins anytime. Some folks get restless when you do.

That could make for a strong DL. I don't see keeping Vernon and Williams both though as money is tight. Cutting Wake would free some up though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Cinci buddy says Marvin Jones heavily favored to be a Lion. Says he def not going to Cleveland. So, we will see.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Cinci buddy says Marvin Jones heavily favored to be a Lion. Says he def not going to Cleveland. So, we will see.

Thats what I have been reading too. It makes dense to fill the WR spot in FA even though most dont consider it to be strong. The draft is just as weak at the position and its not like big name WRs are ever a threat to hit the market in their prime unless they are grossly underpaid/valued. We may not get him but we could if he is picky about what kind of situation he wants to be in.

There may be fewer holes to fill come draft time and that is a good thing. Dare I say BPA or will people start having rage induced flashbacks, LOL?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what I have been reading too. It makes dense to fill the WR spot in FA even though most dont consider it to be strong. The draft is just as weak at the position and its not like big name WRs are ever a threat to hit the market in their prime unless they are grossly underpaid/valued. We may not get him but we could if he is picky about what kind of situation he wants to be in.

agree with all. some may see rookie wr's that could have potential for immediate impact but I like the 4 yr. vet route in this instance.

I think MJ comes at a high cost though, similar to J. Nelson or R. Cobb $$, but I'm good with that (funny i could drop my FDR routine on this). He has very good hands, route running ability, will block in run game or for other wr's in his zone, has high point and 50/50 catch ability and lastly can stretch the field.

It won't matter should CJ stay 1 year more (one last try for him as he waits to see what happens in FA or if he really is that banged up) by having him, Tate, possibly CJ as you could have so many variations of use for all three of them on the field at one time not to mention 1 of AA/Riddick and the lost guy EE. That could be treacherous for opponents to defend. You'd still have TJ Jones in the fold as well and Stafford began to trust in him more at the tail end of the season.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There may be fewer holes to fill come draft time and that is a good thing. Dare I say BPA or will people start having rage induced flashbacks, LOL?

Solid veteran will have more impact IMO this season on the void of CJ. Always been a Jones fan. Him and Sanu complimented AJ very well unselfishly. I do realize a rookie could or will have more impact down the road most likely. I'd like to see Burbridge in mid rounds.

I know CJ was declining, but no rookie or FA is replacing him from the crop available. Jones seems the safest bet IMO to help the transition.

BPA...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still of the belief that whether or not CJ stays or doesn't, they should look at two WR's in this draft but not early on as in 4th round or beyond. The above still goes even if M Jones is signed, imo. They could look for a possession receiver type (say Sterling Sheperd should he last until 4th round {i doubt it} and a prospect with, size, speed, good hands to groom for this year and beyond.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with all. some may see rookie wr's that could have potential for immediate impact but I like the 4 yr. vet route in this instance.

I think MJ comes at a high cost though, similar to J. Nelson or R. Cobb $$, but I'm good with that (funny i could drop my FDR routine on this). He has very good hands, route running ability, will block in run game or for other wr's in his zone, has high point and 50/50 catch ability and lastly can stretch the field.

You could have posted sooner and saved me basically the same thoughts. I'm not worried about the money though. No dirt bread needed here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another topic is RT.

I have wavered, flip flopped, continuously between Schwartz and Osemele. I finally came to a decision of wanting the latter. I would be happy with Schwartz but the known versatility with Osemele being an elite RG and having played well at RT in his first year, playing well at LT for 4 games last year in Baltimore, entices me more than Schwartz does. I remember reading reviews about Osemele pass-pro as being positive. I also read that the Ravens were considering Osemele as their future LT. Should the Lions draft an OT {at any point in the draft}and he shows capabilities of being either OT than that is more versitility them in the future.

I will assume Osemele will come at a very high price but once again I'm going to drop my FDR worries as I see him as a huge benefit for both pass-pro and run blocking.

Furthermore, Schwartz is more known as a run blocking RT but did receive praise last year for his improvement in pass-pro.

heres the link talking about Osemele being viewed as Ravens LT, The Phins are rumored to be interested as well.
Chicago Tribune

2. Kelechi Osemele -- 27 in June. Elite guard made 4 starts at left tackle in '15.

Here's link for Schwartz
26. Mitchell Schwartz -- 27 in June. Consistent RT has made 64 straight starts.

WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Free Agents - Top 90
Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Browns. Age: 27.
Mitchell Schwartz didn't play very well in 2014, and there was even some speculation that he would be moved to guard. Schwartz silenced those criticis this past season, performing on a Pro Bowl level. Removed from Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme, Schwartz thrived, and should continue to do so in the right system.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, I have many challanges in life. being two finger, pecking, typist is one of them.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I want for X-mas {stole that line as I can't come up with anything original} which comes 03-09-2016

is

WR Marvin Jones
RT Kelechi Osemele
SS George Illoka

and I do not care what it costs to sign those three

any position after that can be lower tier level pieces that will still provide impact in some fashion whether it be hopeful starter or quality depth.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another topic is RT.

I have wavered, flip flopped, continuously between Schwartz and Osemele. I finally came to a decision of wanting the latter. I would be happy with Schwartz but the known versatility with Osemele being an elite RG and having played well at RT in his first year, playing well at LT for 4 games last year in Baltimore, entices me more than Schwartz does. I remember reading reviews about Osemele pass-pro as being positive. I also read that the Ravens were considering Osemele as their future LT. Should the Lions draft an OT {at any point in the draft}and he shows capabilities of being either OT than that is more versitility them in the future.

I will assume Osemele will come at a very high price but once again I'm going to drop my FDR worries as I see him as a huge benefit for both pass-pro and run blocking.

Furthermore, Schwartz is more known as a run blocking RT but did receive praise last year for his improvement in pass-pro.

heres the link talking about Osemele being viewed as Ravens LT, The Phins are rumored to be interested as well.
Chicago Tribune

2. Kelechi Osemele -- 27 in June. Elite guard made 4 starts at left tackle in '15.

Here's link for Schwartz
26. Mitchell Schwartz -- 27 in June. Consistent RT has made 64 straight starts.

WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Free Agents - Top 90
Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Browns. Age: 27.
Mitchell Schwartz didn't play very well in 2014, and there was even some speculation that he would be moved to guard. Schwartz silenced those criticis this past season, performing on a Pro Bowl level. Removed from Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme, Schwartz thrived, and should continue to do so in the right system.

You've got me sold there. I'd perfer Osemele also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got me sold there. I'd perfer Osemele also.

he's just my preference is all. I loved him coming out of Iowa St., I thought he could be a RT then and although I haven't seen him play LT this past year, I did watch him play RT (i believe it was his rookie year, 2012) and he looked solid. He made rookie mistakes but he had been playing RG from the get go until an injury forced Harbaugh to use him at RT (I believe it was Oher at RT then and Eugene Monroe at LT)

Jim Caldwell always talks about players having versitility and how important it is to him and Bob Quin spoke of the same during his press conference when being introduced as GM. BQ clearly stated that that is one of the many things he learned working for the Patriots organization and how intrical it would be for future personnel use on the field (that right there is a hint to FA/Draft, imo). Furthermore, Caldwell was the offensive consultant before becoming the OC at the latter end of season in Baltimore, so, there's that connection to Osemele.

Besides, the Ravens have more needs to rebuild that team, imo, and get back to the playoffs than what I perceive the Lions have to do. Anything can change in a given year with any team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because someone mentioned Suh, I guess it's all right to post it. then again maybe not

Dolphins restructure Ndamukong Suh's contract

The Miami Dolphins have restructured the massive contract of defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, the team confirmed on Saturday. Suh was set to take up a whopping $28.6 million of cap space in 2016, the second-highest cap number for any player at the start of the 2015-16 offseason.

The Dolphins exercised a built-in option on Suh's contract, freeing up around $15 million in cap space for 2016. They have also restructured linebacker Koa Misi and released wide receiverGreg Jennings, creating around $23.8 million in cap savings.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked him coming out also Blue. I wasn't aware that he was llaying so well though. I see him as a real possibility here due to his versatility.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked him coming out also Blue. I wasn't aware that he was llaying so well though. I see him as a real possibility here due to his versatility.

yes, we'll see. I'm suspect of them being able to afford him. I think Marvin Jones and SS Illoka are tops of the list as lasy years RT, Ola, was very good for those last 7 games. They have talked about upgrading RT relentlessly and Ola would make a quality swing OT.

I think Osemele is their first choice as he's more versatile but if the price gets to steep and they get outbid, then they will have Schwartz in the loop. They at the very least will attempt to upgrade RT in FA.

The last guy I want see come in as a FA_RT is Joseph Barksdale. He played semi-decent in San Diego but he's not good in pass-pro.