• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent thread

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I would start a thread for possible FA signings that we would like to see.

My List:

1. Trumaine Johnson
2. Damon Harrison
3. Cordy Glenn
4. Eric Weddle
5. Olivier Vernon (Take that you Suh Stealing Bastards!!!)

I am not saying sign all of these, but each fills a hole with a solid young vet. Weddle misses the young requirement, but I do not think Berry is in our price range. I like Taylor, but Vernon is better. Harrison is a beast against the run for the DT spot. Johnsons and Slay would make an aweseom pair of CB's.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I would start a thread for possible FA signings that we would like to see.

My List:

1. Trumaine Johnson
2. Damon Harrison
3. Cordy Glenn
4. Eric Weddle
5. Olivier Vernon (Take that you Suh Stealing Bastards!!!)

I am not saying sign all of these, but each fills a hole with a solid young vet. Weddle misses the young requirement, but I do not think Berry is in our price range. I like Taylor, but Vernon is better. Harrison is a beast against the run for the DT spot. Johnsons and Slay would make an aweseom pair of CB's.

I was one who was looking to draft T Johnson back a few years. Cordy Glen was high on my list too.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one who was looking to draft T Johnson back a few years. Cordy Glen was high on my list too.

I added and remove Glenn a few times, I am not sure how much of an improvement over REiff he is.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I added and remove Glenn a few times, I am not sure how much of an improvement over REiff he is.

He wont be top 5 but he will be better than Reiff IMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wont be top 5 but he will be better than Reiff IMO.

what the heck has you two liking Cordy Glenn as NFL OT. He's not quick enough to man LT cuz speed rushers will make him look as if you want Reiff back. He can be a good run blocking RT but he still lacks the mechanics and footwork to excel at either OT spot... imo only... probably

Ola played pretty damn well at RT and in limited games for being picked up off the streets mid-season and add in the scheme changes and time it takes to get some chemistry with the OL

not putting either of you down, just curious as why the love for Glenn.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA's for

#1 Okung
#2 (1) of Sean Smith or Janoris Jenkins or Josh Norman (highly doubtful that Caro doesn't re-sign him)
#3 DT..... not sure who but someone that can mentor these young ones, Reid and Wright.

there's a couple others but not of high importance at his time

FA-WR..... Anquan Boldin to mentor TJ and even Tate to some degree

I would rather see a quality drafted DE to complement Taylor versus another vet, jmo. Like Bama's Jonathan Allen or even PSU Zettel

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the heck has you two liking Cordy Glenn as NFL OT. He's not quick enough to man LT cuz speed rushers will make him look as if you want Reiff back. He can be a good run blocking RT but he still lacks the mechanics and footwork to excel at either OT spot... imo only... probably

Ola played pretty damn well at RT and in limited games for being picked up off the streets mid-season and add in the scheme changes and time it takes to get some chemistry with the OL

not putting either of you down, just curious as why the love for Glenn.

I have not studied film or anything, but from what I have read he has had a very solid year at LT this year.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Calvin retires, I will throw all of my salary cap at Alshon Jeffery.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not studied film or anything, but from what I have read he has had a very solid year at LT this year.

okay. don't get me wrong and I liked Glenn coming out of CFB as a possible RT but he failed at LT trial versions before Rex got to Buffalo. I must be missing something....

and I respect both of your opinions...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My List:

1. Trumaine Johnson

in all honesty, I wouldn't be opposed to TJ... but it would come after a try to get J. Norman and J. Jenkins.

I believe the nickel should be fine with Diggs and Lawson but rookie Carter and where he should or could play is a huge question mark. Carter appears better suited as a S, imo, as he's decent in coverage and solid against the run but he'll need to clean up footwork and diagnosing. He's a physical DB just think he's better off as a S

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay. don't get me wrong and I liked Glenn coming out of CFB as a possible RT but he failed at LT trial versions before Rex got to Buffalo. I must be missing something....

and I respect both of your opinions...

When doing the list, I was just reading up on free agent LT's coming up and his looked like the most promising outside of Okung, but I figured Okung would cost a ton of money. Glenn is not one I can really defend, I might be completely wrong. Based on what I read and (for Rob) PFF rankings he seemed like the best value we could get.

What I really want is a Joe Thomas type to plug in there for the next 12-15 years, is that so much to ask?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in all honesty, I wouldn't be opposed to TJ... but it would come after a try to get J. Norman and J. Jenkins.

I believe the nickel should be fine with Diggs and Lawson but rookie Carter and where he should or could play is a huge question mark. Carter appears better suited as a S, imo, as he's decent in coverage and solid against the run but he'll need to clean up footwork and diagnosing. He's a physical DB just think he's better off as a S

I prefer Trumain Johnson to Norman. I think Norman is a loud mouth who can only back it up because the Defense that surrounds him. I would be fine with Jenkins though, I really wanted to draft him and he has not disappointed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When doing the list, I was just reading up on free agent LT's coming up and his looked like the most promising outside of Okung, but I figured Okung would cost a ton of money. Glenn is not one I can really defend, I might be completely wrong. Based on what I read and (for Rob) PFF rankings he seemed like the best value we could get.

What I really want is a Joe Thomas type to plug in there for the next 12-15 years, is that so much to ask?

I'm pretty much in line that if you cannot get a LT that has proven he's more than capable even at a higher cost then you're shooting yourself in the foot by going the route of, "he's best value". jmho. I doubt Okung leaves Seattle if they can pay him and Okung has had some struggles as well this year but that OL has underperformed these last two years, imo. RW's scrambling ability has helped quite a bit to alleviate some sacks. Seattle is in top 12 for OL giving up sacks these last (3) years. but I still like Okung over anyone that's scheduled as a FA right now.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ngata problem asking. whether it's too much to ask for, It's the Lions...lol

they screwed themselves by continuing to win and therefore right out of the Tunsil/Stanley stakes.

only Old Lion and myself, maybe Thunder, wanted, wished and hoped for the Lions to continue their losing ways.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty much in line that if you cannot get a LT that has proven he's more than capable even at a higher cost then you're shooting yourself in the foot by going the route of, "he's best value". jmho. I doubt Okung leaves Seattle if they can pay him and Okung has had some struggles as well this year but that OL has underperformed these last two years, imo. RW's scrambling ability has helped quite a bit to alleviate some sacks. Seattle is in top 12 for OL giving up sacks these last (3) years. but I still like Okung over anyone that's scheduled as a FA right now.

This is fair, there are never 32 Starting level LT's it feels like. And it feels like fewer then ever now. Reiff has not been terrible, if anything you could say he has continued the Backus trend, which sounds like a horrible insult, but he was a solid option for over a decade, never one of the best, but always solid. I would just like something other then good enough at the LT spot. We have not had that since Lomas Brown

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fair, there are never 32 Starting level LT's it feels like. And it feels like fewer then ever now. Reiff has not been terrible, if anything you could say he has continued the Backus trend, which sounds like a horrible insult, but he was a solid option for over a decade, never one of the best, but always solid. I would just like something other then good enough at the LT spot. We have not had that since Lomas Brown

well stated, imo. I'm not of the thought that Reiff is horrible or even bottom ten. I think it gets overblown, just a little, regarding the two strip sacks. He is very similar to Backus in all aspects of a LT.

The one thing that bothers me most is that over the course of the last (4) drafts the so-called CFB LT's that were deemed worthy to project to such in NFL hasn't happened, yet. Maybe it's a Stafford thing (he'll develop by year 6, then it's year 7 or year 8).

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure any OT is going to be worth their price in FA but Because Glenn finally figured out LT I think he is worth a shot. It may be the toughest position on offense to fill in the NFL. Most of the draft picks that have come out the last few years have flopped.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Okung
2) Sean Smith ... Doubt my boy Norman gets to leave Carolina.
3) Weddle
4) Forte
5) Sanu/Jones. Either Bengal
5A) Jaques Smith

Addressing big money to LT and CB and or Weddle may take away from the Alshon deal for me.

Stafford played good with no CJ. So does he need another guy to get locked at times? Not sure.

I love that kid Smith from Tampa, be hard to sign him away. I see Tampa forcing him to stay a Buc.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Okung
2) Sean Smith ... Doubt my boy Norman gets to leave Carolina.
3) Weddle
4) Forte
5) Sanu/Jones. Either Bengal
5A) Jaques Smith

Addressing big money to LT and CB and or Weddle may take away from the Alshon deal for me.

Stafford played good with no CJ. So does he need another guy to get locked at times? Not sure.

I love that kid Smith from Tampa, be hard to sign him away. I see Tampa forcing him to stay a Buc.

Not a fan of the Forte idea, Big money for a RB with a lot of miles.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of the Forte idea, Big money for a RB with a lot of miles.

He won't be as much you think. He's already had his two contracts. At least IMO I don't see him getting big money.

He has a lot of miles yes, he also has gas in the tank. He looked strong against us week 17. He would step in and be #1 on the depth chart IMO so that means some type of upgrade is needed. Unless you can guarantee me ZZ can be a true 3 down back.