• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent thread

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Free Agents - Top 90

Not saying this is a end all, be all, of rankings. A good guide to look through the free agents and pick out names that are appealing.

I am not interested in BQ spending big money on top 10 free agents and putting us back in cap hell. But good, younger guys who have proven they can play at a high level in this league.

13. Malik Jackson- DT
19. Tashaun Gipson- S
23. Trumaine Johnson- CB

Those three would all be very good additions in my mind. Defense wins championships.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Free Agents - Top 90

Not saying this is a end all, be all, of rankings. A good guide to look through the free agents and pick out names that are appealing.

I am not interested in BQ spending big money on top 10 free agents and putting us back in cap hell. But good, younger guys who have proven they can play at a high level in this league.

I don't want BQ to spend it all and mad the cap room they have. I'd like see one two FA come in who can have a immediate impact. Guys that have proven themselves already on Sunday. That is also part of the infusion you speak of.

Plus I want to see how he writes a bigger contract.

Lions still have to overpay for the three guys you mentioned with more money than most teams.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want BQ to spend it all and mad the cap room they have. I'd like see one two FA come in who can have a immediate impact. Guys that have proven themselves already on Sunday. That is also part of the infusion you speak of.

Plus I want to see how he writes a bigger contract.

Lions still have to overpay for the three guys you mentioned with more money than most teams.

Doesn't it always seem the big free agents never pan out?
Demarco Murray, Julius Thomas, Byron Maxwell and even Darrell Revis didn't play super elite last year. It's just too risky signing super big free agents.

It's those mid-level guys who end up doing well for the Lions. Quin and Tulloch come to mind. Tate's contract is pretty big but not WR1 money and he has lived up to it for the most part.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't it always seem the big free agents never pan out?
Demarco Murray, Julius Thomas, Byron Maxwell and even Darrell Revis didn't play super elite last year. It's just too risky signing super big free agents.

It's those mid-level guys who end up doing well for the Lions. Quin and Tulloch come to mind. Tate's contract is pretty big but not WR1 money and he has lived up to it for the most part.

Tulloch was a top tier FA that year. Schwartz was big reason he came here.
Murray needed that line as much as that line needs the right RB. (Callahan was huge reason)
Thomas I get. He was injured and overshadowed also.
Maxwell and Revis I would take to play tomorrow.

I would not be upset if big or bigger money is spent on a S or CB or LT. IMO there is top talent there in the FA pool. I feel the LB needs drafted and DL spots need to be through the draft and mid level FA contributors.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only Old Lion and myself, maybe Thunder, wanted, wished and hoped for the Lions to continue their losing ways.

I can prove it on Twitter all posted before the second half of the season (Bye Week)...

THE LACK OF COMMON SENSE... THE SEASON IS ALREADY BLOWN AND NOW SHE WANTS TO WIN AND LOSE THE 1ST OVER-ALL DRAFT PICK.

Leave it to Martha who wants to win NOW and BLOW the 1st over-all draft pick!!

Yeah, she wants to win and blow the 1st over-all draft pick. No Common Sense with the season is already blown

I would be happy with a 1-15 record and 1st over-all draft pick to start the 2016 under a new front office. Don't blow it Martha

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to spend money in free agency, sign an offensive tackle. They take too damn long to develop these days. That doesn't mean you can't also take one in the draft if one fell to the Lions. But whatever you're going to do with the OL. Do it now, and leave it alone for the next five years and watch it get better.

Everything else can be found in the draft. Although I might get a big woody if they signed Alshon Jeffery away from the Bears. What he has, you can't teach.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please sign Okung and one of the FA CB's this off-season. I do not want to have to count on some rookie CB to develop quickly, which is out of the norm, to take Mathis' place. (although I wouldn't mind 1 damn bit seeing Kendall Fuller in a Lions uniform).

CB's
1 of Josh Norman or Sean Smith or Janoris Jenkins or Trumaine Johnson.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT
MLB
CB
WR
OT

don't need them all to be starters but we need capable bodies badly at all those positions. Back up QB too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RollingThunder. I'm thinking u missed the biggest swing and miss in the big money free agent market from last year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with blue. I'd like to see a CB. Possibly a tackle for the offensive line. Don't want to see them over extend themselves in the FA market.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Calvin retires, I will throw all of my salary cap at Alshon Jeffery.

Rishard Matthews could be another option if the Bears tag or extend Alshon i think he could be a solid number 2 for us hes got pretty good hands. Maybe use a 3rd round or later pick to try and find another hands guy in the draft.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything else can be found in the draft. Although I might get a big woody if they signed Alshon Jeffery away from the Bears. What he has, you can't teach.

Yeah but I have issues about players with lazy issues. If anyone remembers he was being touted as a top 10 pick. Then got lazy and went in the 2nd round to the Birrrs. I am afraid of giving that guy a lot of money.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have Marvin Jones's cell phone number?

I think we have a legit shot at him. Seems like exactly the kind of guy the Pats would (and prob will) target. So ya know BQ has his eyes on him too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to spend money in free agency, sign an offensive tackle. They take too damn long to develop these days. That doesn't mean you can't also take one in the draft if one fell to the Lions. But whatever you're going to do with the OL. Do it now, and leave it alone for the next five years and watch it get better.

Okung seems to be the top guy this year. He's gonna command big time money. I don't like him. Too many injuries. Right now he's out 5 months with a shoulder injury. This in top of numerous lower body leg injuries during his career.

I'm all for grabbing some tackles tho, we need them.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung seems to be the top guy this year. He's gonna command big time money. I don't like him. Too many injuries. Right now he's out 5 months with a shoulder injury. This in top of numerous lower body leg injuries during his career.

I'm all for grabbing some tackles tho, we need them.

Yeah. It doesn't have to be the top guy (and I don't want one of those 'he's great when he plays' guys either). Just someone better than the Lions have.