• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my Vancouver Canuck friends:
I apologize. I realize now that my comments were irregularly insensitive in light of your current situation. I was not thinking clearly, and for that I am ashamed. Please know that I will strive to make this up to you.
Sincerely,

Erin Pixburgher66 the 2nd.

I need to go to bed. I don't even know why I typed this. That's just silly.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're stuck with MAF through the entirety of his contract, just the way it is. Honestly, the options available in FA aren't good enough to consider anyway. MAF is a postseason headcase sure...just gotta hope a new goalie coach (and therapist...) helps. Elite goalies, as you know, don't fall into your lap.

Not true. The Sharks signed Niemi as an UFA after the Blackhawks matched the offersheet the Sharks gave Hjalmarsson.

By the way I think the Pens got a very good goalie prospect in Tristan Jarry in round 2 on Saturday.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my favorite - the voice crack. Haha.

Crosby is a little whiney. OV is a little pompous. Marchand is a little dirty. And Hartnell can't even skate. They're men, not gods. It's okay.

Oh, he can't skate, can he? Then how'd he pick up all those goalie interference penalties, huh? HUH?
(In several cases the answer is he got checked into the goalie).

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. The Sharks signed Niemi as an UFA after the Blackhawks matched the offersheet the Sharks gave Hjalmarsson.

By the way I think the Pens got a very good goalie prospect in Tristan Jarry in round 2 on Saturday.

I like what I've seen so far. VERY raw though. We'll see how he fares with a full work load though. Has the athletic ability, just has to get coached up now. Hope he pans out, but that's a good 5 years from now project. Damn Fleury ruining the fun of having limited holes in the franchise...now it's a gaping void.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on the Pronger thing. I think we all agree that the Flyers would much, MUCH rather have him playing than sucking up dollars and cap space in a dark room. So it doesn't seem fair to punish them.

At the same time, my lordy was that a dangerous contract, and I think we all know that at the very least, Pronger probably wasn't going to be able to play that long even if he fully planned on doing so. So if you want to look at that as cap circumvention, more power to you. And while I'd be pissed off if I were a Devils fan because of the Kovy ramifications, well, they just got Corey Schneider for a single draft pick, so they can fuck off.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw Philly, if you are in need of dumping salary, please feel free to trade Coburn over here.... You know you want to :D

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I've seen so far. VERY raw though. We'll see how he fares with a full work load though. Has the athletic ability, just has to get coached up now. Hope he pans out, but that's a good 5 years from now project. Damn Fleury ruining the fun of having limited holes in the franchise...now it's a gaping void.

It's weird, too, because he was a goddamn monster in 07-08... when the lost to the Wings. He's not that old, either. What happened to him? Was it just one good season covered up by Crosby/Malkin?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw Philly, if you are in need of dumping salary, please feel free to trade Coburn over here.... You know you want to :D

One of the Dmen is going somewhere, even if our cap space wasn't horrible. I just wish we'd traded one away before the Lecavalier signing - or better yet, not signed Streit in the first place.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird, too, because he was a goddamn monster in 07-08... when the lost to the Wings. He's not that old, either. What happened to him? Was it just one good season covered up by Crosby/Malkin?

A lot of folks around Pittsburgh are very down on Gilles Meloche as a coach, which could be part of it. It really seems to be the mental part of his game which is lacking. He's off his angles and over-commits a lot.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of folks around Pittsburgh are very down on Gilles Meloche as a coach, which could be part of it. It really seems to be the mental part of his game which is lacking. He's off his angles and over-commits a lot.

I don't pay much attention to the non-head coaches, so it is my opinion that whoever the Flyers have been using as a goalie coach has to suck. We've had so many goalies since Hextall and most of them have been spotty at best. You'd think that if we were doing something right, one of them would be good.

Shut up in advance, 43.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that it's a tough circumstance. the flyers are getting out of eventually being punished for a stupid contract because pronger is hurt. that doesn't mean the rule is wrong though. you cant punish teams for players getting hurt.

I have to ask in all seriousness, did you truly expect Pronger to still be playing at 44? I mean it might have been reasonable to think he'd be around at 39/40, but 44?

He was never going to "retire" because of the cap hit. The day that contract expires there will be a teary-eyed press conference.

And that sucks. For him. For the league. For the player's association. The only person it doesn't suck for is Snider because he has all the cash in the world and no limitations.

They're stuck with MAF through the entirety of his contract, just the way it is. Honestly, the options available in FA aren't good enough to consider anyway. MAF is a postseason headcase sure...just gotta hope a new goalie coach (and therapist...) helps. Elite goalies, as you know, don't fall into your lap.

They aren't "stuck" with him. Hit him in the head with a frying pan.

Even the greatest goalie prospects take 3-4 years from draft to NHL. Anyone who comes faster than that doesn't last. See Thibault, Jocelyn.

I don't pay much attention to the non-head coaches, so it is my opinion that whoever the Flyers have been using as a goalie coach has to suck. We've had so many goalies since Hextall and most of them have been spotty at best. You'd think that if we were doing something right, one of them would be good.

Shut up in advance, 43.

:D

Bryz' agent said there is more wrong with the Flyers goaltending than the goaltenders. It's gotta be. I think it's the organizational culture. Goalies are not meant to be stuck in a corner and told to stop pucks. Its a subtle art that needs to be cultivated. It's not just the Flyers, I think the Leafs have the same problem. They get a good one and act like "finally!" Then they abandon them and they collapse, eventually. Not sure anyone's doing much in Pitt either.

Bob has raw talent. There's no doubt. But what I hear of him is he asks a lot of questions. He asks teammates what he can do better. He wants to know where his D men are most comfortable and tries to figure out that affects his game. He relies heavily on coaches about what he does wrong, where he can improve. He asks bench coaches if they see the same things he thinks he sees in his game. If you don't nurture that kind of mentality, it dries up.

I see it coaching youth goalies. Most coaches went their entire playing careers never once seeing a coach work with a goalie. And they don't now. And it sucks.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this will make you love us more
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 2m
Matt Cooke's agent Pat Morris says he's talking to a few teams including Pittsburgh about his client.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 2m
Morris says Cooke would have no problems re-signing in Vancouver - says he has fond memories of the city.

is it a new rule in the CBA that allows players to have their agents talk to teams from the expiry date on July 5th?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Canucks do need somebody to replace LaPierre as far as agitator is concerned.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ALSO, regarding Dupuis.. the past 2 (maybe 3, I forget) years, only one player has scored more points than him 5 on 5... and that player is OV (from a report I saw)

FWIW:
Correction he was 4th, behind the two in TB and phil kessel (coming from the new pens hockeybuzz writer)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the Flyers have tested the waters a bit on this, but can't some team just man up and become "the bad guys"? Like Phoenix should just decide to sign and trade for all the Matt Cooke's of the world. Get a team full of agitators, some skilled, some just flat out assholes, get some hot head goalie in net. Sure they'd spend a lot of time in the box but they would be a bitch to play against and fun to watch. Make it happen owner that doesn't a shit, whoever you may be.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Three teams have reached out to Tim Thomas camp so far...

Hey, maybe Bobby Lou and Tim Thomas can share the crease in Vancouver?

:evil:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Three teams have reached out to Tim Thomas camp so far...

Hey, maybe Bobby Lou and Tim Thomas can share the crease in Vancouver?

:evil:

i would re acquire my season tickets just to watch that shit show

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would re acquire my season tickets just to watch that shit show

The only thing that would make it better is if Yashin made a comeback.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ... Iginla is/will be talking to Vancouver