• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Do you really believe he was still going to be playing at the end of that Contract?

He will be 44 when it expires. They knew he'd never finish it. His "retirement" was always going to be LTIR.

They probably expected he'd go a *little* longer, but still.

remember, they Flyers thought it was an under-35 contract when they signed it, so they wouldn't have need the LTIR loophole.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe he was still going to be playing at the end of that Contract?

He will be 44 when it expires. They knew he'd never finish it. His "retirement" was always going to be LTIR.

They probably expected he'd go a *little* longer, but still.

oh fuck no, it was an awful contract, i'm not arguing that. but suggesting he's faking post concussion sydrome is really over the top, even for someone who hates the flyers as much as you do

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh fuck no, it was an awful contract, i'm not arguing that. but suggesting he's faking post concussion sydrome is really over the top, even for someone who hates the flyers as much as you do

okay, two things:
1) I never suggested he's faking it. I am saying the loophole is very beneficial and Snider was pushing hard to make sure it didn't get closed in this CBA. When the Flyers agreed to that mess, they expected to get more than they got, but he was NEVER going to finish that contract. Thinking he was is folly.
2) I love the Flyers

bobrovsky-vezina-2013.jpg

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, two things:
1) I never suggested he's faking it. I am saying the loophole is very beneficial and Snider was pushing hard to make sure it didn't get closed in this CBA. When the Flyers agreed to that mess, they expected to get more than they got, but he was NEVER going to finish that contract. Thinking he was is folly.
2) I love the Flyers

bobrovsky-vezina-2013.jpg

not sure why you keep referring to LTIR as a loophole.. LTIR keeps teams functioning. what else are they supposed to do, keep 20 mil in cap space in case 5 guys have season ending injuries and they have to sign people to replace them while staying under the cap? just a foolish notion that LTIR should've been 'closed'

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why you keep referring to LTIR as a loophole.. LTIR keeps teams functioning. what else are they supposed to do, keep 20 mil in cap space in case 5 guys have season ending injuries and they have to sign people to replace them while staying under the cap? just a foolish notion that LTIR should've been 'closed'

There was talk that LTIR was going to be limited to the season in progress. As you said to keep teams functioning.

Not 3 consecutive seasons and counting.

Even if a career ending injury occurred a portion of that contract should count against the cap. That would have stopped signing a contract that was at least six years longer that you had to expect the player would play in order to circumvent the cap.

In addition, if Pronger retires, the team is on the hook for his contract. Is there anyone out there who legitimately thinks he's ever coming back? He is staying on LTIR for the reason of cap circumvention. No matter the legitimacy of the affliction that put him there, it is being used to shield the Flyers.

IE: a loophole.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was talk that LTIR was going to be limited to the season in progress. As you said to keep teams functioning.

Even if a career ending injury occurred a portion of that contract should count against the cap. That would have stopped signing a contract that was at least six years longer that you had to expect the player would play in order to circumvent the cap.

In addition, if Pronger retires, the team is on the hook for his contract. Is there anyone out there who legitimately thinks he's ever coming back? He is staying on LTIR for the reason of cap circumvention. No matter the legitimacy of the affliction that put him there, it is being used to shield the Flyers.

it doesn't matter what the duration of the injury is, you should never be punished for one of your guys being hurt. say bob gets a concussion next season and can only be LTIR'd for that season. why should the blue jackets be punished in 2014-15 for Bob getting a concussion the year before? how pissed would you be if the blue jackets' cap situation prevented them from signing a guy for 5 mil next summer because of bob's very reasonable 2 year contract where he happened to get hurt in the first year of it?

just because you don't like the circumstances of pronger's LTIR stay doesn't mean the rule is a loophole.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hesitantly agree...I think that they should have to prove a future is possible...but there's no way to do that, no doctor would do it. It is a form of circumvention. BUT, it's hard to punish a team for having an injured player. Still, it's a 35+ long term contract. This is a tough circumstance.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hesitantly agree...I think that they should have to prove a future is possible...but there's no way to do that, no doctor would do it. It is a form of circumvention. BUT, it's hard to punish a team for having an injured player. Still, it's a 35+ long term contract. This is a tough circumstance.

i agree that it's a tough circumstance. the flyers are getting out of eventually being punished for a stupid contract because pronger is hurt. that doesn't mean the rule is wrong though. you cant punish teams for players getting hurt.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DUPPPUUIIIIIISSS! *sniff* Thank GOD.

4 years (*gulp*) $15M. $3.75per

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wild make Qualifying Offers to five of their RFAs - and the recently acquired Benn Ferriero wasn't one of them. I'm guessing that the Falk trade was really about circumventing the two buyouts limit then. :think:

I'm happy to see that one of the offers went to Jarod Spurgeon. :clap:

The rest went to guys who still spend the vast majority of their time in the AHL.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wild make Qualifying Offers to five of their RFAs - and the recently acquired Benn Ferriero wasn't one of them. I'm guessing that the Falk trade was really about circumventing the two buyouts limit then. :think:

I'm happy to see that one of the offers went to Jarod Spurgeon. :clap:

The rest went to guys who still spend the vast majority of their time in the AHL.

It still bothers me that the Isles didn't sign Spurgeon. They drafted another kid who's similar in stature & ability in Brendan Kichton. They didn't sign him either. Winnipeg drafted him in the 7th round Saturday.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Pens going to fill out their roster with kids & guys who should be in the AHL? That's steep for Dupuis.

Dupuis would've gotten $5M on the market. Seriously. Someone would've given him that. Bickell just got $4M/4 years after ONE GOOD POSTSEASON. The bottom six does need work. Top six and D is set. Honestly, they have some AHL guys that will fill out the fourth line well. The issue will be the third line wingers. They'll resign Adams, have about $3M to fill out third line. Not easy...but Dupuis was too versatile to let go.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupuis would've gotten $5M on the market. Seriously. Someone would've given him that. Bickell just got $4M/4 years after ONE GOOD POSTSEASON. The bottom six does need work. Top six and D is set. Honestly, they have some AHL guys that will fill out the fourth line well. The issue will be the third line wingers. They'll resign Adams, have about $3M to fill out third line. Not easy...but Dupuis was too versatile to let go.

The Pens still need a goalie.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are the Pens going to fill out their roster with kids & guys who should be in the AHL? That's steep for Dupuis.

First, nothing with quoting you, but I wonder what took so long for the deal to get done, like I said minutes after the kunitz deal, Duppers bar was set.. the Pens couldn't offer less, nor could Dupuis ask for more than what Kunny got (give or take 100K)... perhaps the Pens were saying 3.5, and dupper wanted 4.0... so 3.75 is a happy medium... still don't know what took so long... I thought for sure he was going to FA... happy he is not.

Regarding the bottom six:

3rd line:
?? - Brandon Sutter - Jussi Jokinen

4th line
Tanner Glass - Joe Vitale - ?? or Craig Adams (hopefully resigned)

Also Dustin Jeffery and Harry Z (not looking up how to spell his name) in the mix. The Pens, if Adams is resigned may not need any help from AHL players (I don't know about DJ on the 3rd line wing though).... also, Pens defense (7) and goaltending (2) is set. I am assuming Matt Cooke now will not be resigned.

ALSO, regarding Dupuis.. the past 2 (maybe 3, I forget) years, only one player has scored more points than him 5 on 5... and that player is OV (from a report I saw)

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens still need a goalie.

They're stuck with MAF through the entirety of his contract, just the way it is. Honestly, the options available in FA aren't good enough to consider anyway. MAF is a postseason headcase sure...just gotta hope a new goalie coach (and therapist...) helps. Elite goalies, as you know, don't fall into your lap.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEXT offseason...there you'll see a much different Pittsburgh Penguins.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're stuck with MAF through the entirety of his contract, just the way it is. Honestly, the options available in FA aren't good enough to consider anyway. MAF is a postseason headcase sure...just gotta hope a new goalie coach (and therapist...) helps. Elite goalies, as you know, don't fall into your lap.

EDIT: Additionally, I think MAF is bought out if next season proves to be the same. He'll have one year left at $5M. Makes too much sense. They'd probably look to trade first, butttt, that could be tricky.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance - the Flyers are all out of cap space!

:laugh3:

Funny enough, the Fan show today mentioned they saw him going there. To which I thought "with what money?"

Really though...Toronto has space, right?