• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ... Iginla is/will be talking to Vancouver

as usual and wont sign as he like ALL others will use Vancouver as a spring board to get more money elsewhere. honestly I would love Iggy at 2 years decent money but we have no money to spend. even with the ballard buyout unless booth stays on LTIR forever

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual and wont sign as he like ALL others will use Vancouver as a spring board to get more money elsewhere. honestly I would love Iggy at 2 years decent money but we have no money to spend. even with the ballard buyout unless booth stays on LTIR forever

i dont really want iggy at this stage

edler still being shopped ... for the cap space

The Canucks have a pressing need for a couple of things this week.

One is cap space. The other is a third-line centre. They are not necessarily unrelated.

It goes a long way in explaining why the team is continuing to shop Alex Edler, even after his no-trade clause kicked in July 1.

The talented but frustrating $5-million blueliner is the team’s best trade chip left, and if the Canucks are going to be a player in the free agent market beginning Friday, they will need to make a move.

Keith Ballard is expected to be on unconditional waivers Wednesday, the next step toward buying out his contract Thursday.

Ballard’s compliance buyout will save the Canucks $4.2 million, leaving them with $8 million in cap space and seven players to sign. One of them is Chris Tanev, who is due a significant raise, which means there may not be much cap space for another centre. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2-2.5 million per year sounds right, and for that the team isn’t going to be able to get in on free agents like Panthers centre Stephen Weiss, who made $4.1 million last year.

But players like Weiss may not be the direction the team is leaning.

With Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler the team’s only NHL centres, the Canucks would seem to need two this offseason. But the organization’s plan right now is to keep the fourth-line slot open to one of its prospects, the leading candidates being Brendan Gaunce and Kellan Lain.

If they go that route, the team will hope the young centre, whoever it is, develops during the year enough to take over the third line.

What they would still need, however, is a transitional centre. That could be Jordan Schroeder and it could be someone they acquire in free agency.

An Edler deal would, of course, change things. It could be a chance to get a good young centre ready to step in now and it also represents an opportunity to further this rebuild-on-the-fly the Canucks are attempting.

Interestingly, John Tortorella isn’t viewed over at Rogers Arena as the guy brought in to squeeze the most out of an aging core during the next two years. His main mandate actually is to jump-start a youth movement. This isn’t a team piling up veterans to go for it. This is a team shedding salary to get younger.

Of the many reasons Tortorella was hired, the one that the team’s decision makers keep stressing to me is his plan to play youth and to play youth in prominent roles. So, for starters, expect to see a lot of Zack Kassian with the Sedin twins next season.

Trading Edler is a fascinating opportunity to get the Canucks more good, young players who would fit this quasi-rebuild plan.

Finding a fit for an Edler trade would have been a lot easier before the no-trade component on his contract kicked in on July 1. That’s why you have to wonder how serious the Canucks really are here. Because just a few days ago, they could have traded him to 29 teams. Now, they have to find a fit where he wants to go.

Vancouver has had some strong offers for Edler and with good reason. He’s 27 years old, has size, and is a lock for 45 points a year. Even in an off year, on a poor power play, Edler scored eight goals in 45 games.

The most alluring part is that he has a lot of room to improve. Even at 27, there is clearly a lot of upside. Could it happen under Tortorella?

Or would the soft-spoken Swede who has dealt with Rick Bowness his entire career struggle to adjust to the in-your-face stylings of the new coach?

For several reasons there is significantly more interest in Edler than there ever was in Cory Schneider.

Blueliners who actually push offence have long been more coveted than goalies. Furthering that interest is his sweetheart deal.

Edler is entering the first year of a six-year, $30-million contract that takes him through his prime. In today’s NHL market, that’s like Christmas morning. Kris Letang just signed an eight-year, $58-million extension with the Pittsburgh Penguins that carries with it a $7.25-million-per-year cap hit.

Defencemen like Edler are not easy to replace, but that leaves the Canucks with the double-edged sword. If they do trade him, how long will it take to develop someone to take his role?

The contract should also give the team pause.

Why trade a player on a bargain deal?

If the team really wants to trade one of its veteran defenceman for prospects, why not consider Kevin Bieksa?

Read more: Botchford: Canucks still shopping Edler around, despite no-trade contract

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I hearing - Wow, that would be quite the kick in the junk (not as bad as Edmonton mind you)

Rest Easy Dash you know it wont happen at all

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Iggy plans on taking $500K, he's not signing in Vancouver. Or Pittsburgh :(

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talented but frustrating $5-million blueliner is the team’s best trade chip left, and if the Canucks are going to be a player in the free agent market beginning Friday, they will need to make a move.

so basically we will move him for a 1st round pick next year AND a 3rd round pick as per the way CAnucks trade their best chips honestly however if they kept picking away players and got high draft picks and drafted well Id be ok with blowing it up but hahahaahahah I cant finish... draft well.. hahahaha

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 30s
Hearing that Rask extension -- although not done yet -- will be in the 8 year/$56M range.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Iggy could take Horton's spot in Beantown?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Iggy could take Horton's spot in Beantown?

Boston's not in a peachy spot for the cap next year either. Crikey I'm seeing a theme. They have $5.15M open w/o Rask's contract on the books.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 30s
Hearing that Rask extension -- although not done yet -- will be in the 8 year/$56M range.

So... How about trading Malcom Subban? :)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that Rask deal is what's signed, the B's will have some moving and groovin' to do. They'll be about $2M over and in need of a back up G contract and some depth Fs I think.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to imagine Moose will be bought out and become available. If a team has a goaltender that can play the overwhelming bulk of games he's not the worst option and would probably be dirt cheap. That's assuming he doesn't retire and head home to Sweden.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still surprised he hasn't yet, something has to be up