• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency/Off Season Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually dont like some of these signing. I like that Riley is keeping the team competitve, but now is the time to try and get younger, we need fresh young guys who can be the future of Miami. Chalmers should have been let go. No way he should have resigned, especially at 4 mil a season. Thats too much for him. He hit his ceiling years ago and that ceiling wasnt very high. We need to keep Cole and Napier. I would have been ok with Chalmers if he was just coming off the bench, but not as a starter. Guys like Lewis need to walk. Dont bring him back. I can understand Allen and JJ, we still need a knock down 3 pt shooter. Id bring back Beasley. Oden, only if your going to actually play him, otherwise go after a real Center or bring in Hamilton. I wouldnt have resigned Haslem. i know he is Mr. Miami, but his playing days are done. He has nothing left to offer us on the court. Pick up Ennis and see what he can do.

A youth movement will be needed at some point. But not now. Riles believes and wants this team to compete this season - rightfully so. The way he thinks he can do that is with a veteran-laden team. I wanted and was expecting a youth movement just as much as you, but that would have indicated rebuilding - Riles is not about that - he is about reloading and that is what we are doing.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing Chris Andersen’s looming new deal with Miami is a two-year pact in the neighborhood of $10 million

As for Mario Chalmers, hearing he landed a two-year deal from the Heat in the region of $8+ million

Heat's re-upping of DWade remains most expected move of 2014 Free Agency. But word is it's unlikely to be finalized until Monday at earliest

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I actually dont like some of these signing. I like that Riley is keeping the team competitve, but now is the time to try and get younger, we need fresh young guys who can be the future of Miami. Chalmers should have been let go. No way he should have resigned, especially at 4 mil a season. Thats too much for him. He hit his ceiling years ago and that ceiling wasnt very high. We need to keep Cole and Napier. I would have been ok with Chalmers if he was just coming off the bench, but not as a starter. Guys like Lewis need to walk. Dont bring him back. I can understand Allen and JJ, we still need a knock down 3 pt shooter. Id bring back Beasley. Oden, only if your going to actually play him, otherwise go after a real Center or bring in Hamilton. I wouldnt have resigned Haslem. i know he is Mr. Miami, but his playing days are done. He has nothing left to offer us on the court. Pick up Ennis and see what he can do.
You can't talk loyalty and sacrifice and family within an organization and then not reword those who stay behind.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont know if I said this already but Ira points out the Heat still have their 2.7M exception left

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Avalon, I agree with you partially. I didn't like bringing Chalmers back, I think we could've brought Nelson for cheaper (depending on how our salary cap situation is looking like). At the very least, Chalmers contract is done at 2016 which looks to be the next big free agent class.

Miami needs to insert some youth, which is what Shabazz will bring as well as Ennis who I think will end up on the Heat's roster. That kid has potential and you don't let him go. Let him sit behind Deng and Granger who are among the best defending wings in the NBA. I also like Hamilton, I think he should see some time at center this season.

I agree with you on Haslem, but he has to get a contract. I don't think the Heat will be title favorites, but at least competitive. I can't see UD being around come 2016 free agency.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haslem is fine. He wont play much. The Heat are going to give him some money till 2016. I see him retiring around then. Lifelong Heat.. worse case scenario a 3 time champion.

Chalmers has me scratching my head a bit because I am unsure why we need 3 PGs on this team. It seems a bit much with Wade and McRoberts able to handle some PG duties as well. But I think he is here for insurance on Napier. What if Napier cant adjust to the NBA game? Then we would only have 1 PG in Cole, who is not anything special, but does play hard and a solid defender. Maybe Cole is now trade bait.. who knows.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Chalmers had his best season of his career. Just had a bad postseason.

2) not sure Lewis will be back

3) oden should be back because you can't teach height.

4) you can't just bring in a brand new team and don't expect to struggle for at least a month (see nov 2010). Pat had to bring bad most of the rotation players

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chalmers is okay if hes our back up, but i doubt they paid him $4mil to be a back up. I dont like him as a starter. he is too careless on defense, makes stupid turnovers and has got to be pretty dirty this last season in terms of fouls. we dont need that.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, everyone put on your tinfoil hats with me for a second. maybe the hold up on the Wade and Haslem deals is the Heat want to put a bid on the amnesty of Boozer. That way they can get his contract on the books and then potentially go over the cap to resign Wade and Haslem.

It makes sense and if the move doesn't work out, Boozer contract is only through next year which means any sort of luxury tax burden brought on by him would be gone next season. Seems like a legitimate risk/reward scenario for the Heat. Just throwing that at there.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would makes sense.. what about them holding off so we can add another contract like Bledso or Monroe then resign them and go into the lux tax?

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that makes perfect sense to Avalon. the difference being.. the Bledsoe and Monroe deals would likely be matched. they would also likely put us into the luxury tax for a few years... or at least 2016 when the new CBA comes out. Because then we would likely be able to amnesty a contract if we needed.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that makes perfect sense too, Avalon

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hold up with Ray Allen is he is still deciding whether to retire or contine to play

As for what is being talked about here, I understand there are reasons it might be worth it, but why wait to offer contracts to guys who may have our offers matched by the previous team? why not get guys simpler to get - such as guys amenstied or UFA?

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We cant put a bid on anyone if they are amnestied if we are over the cap. They would have to clear waivers first. If we are under the cap which we are right now, then we can put in a bid.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gotta love Napier unfollowing Lebron James on twitter. Childish I know...but still funny. Picked up by a Heat beat writer. Hope he picks things up quickly. We will need him.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if ya watched first take... But steven a smith was basically riding on LeBron dick still.... But skip bayless believes the heat will knock lebron out of the playoffs because of wade being the man again. That is the key to everything...we all know and seen this. If wade can be 100% healthy... Nobody in the east is stopping miami.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omer Casspi will be available soon. Any interest there?