• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darrius Heyward-Bey visiting Lions Wednesday

Free agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey will visit the Lions Wednesday.

This is an intriguing fit for Heyward-Bey. The Lions are desperate for wideout help thanks to Ryan Broyles' torn ACL and Titus Young's meltdown. They also need a true burner that can take the top off the defense and pull some attention off Calvin Johnson. Heyward-Bey doesn't have great hands and isn't a polished route-runner, but he can certainly fly. The former No. 7 overall pick ran a 4.30 at the 2009 combine, the fastest time in his class.
Source: Detroit Free Press

Mar 26 - 8:24 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers' backup QB situation
March, 26, 2013 10:40AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The San Francisco 49ers are well-positioned through the top rung of their QB depth chart with Colin Kaepernick, the versatile product of Nevada who led the team to within a few plays of a Super Bowl win in 2012. But with Alex Smith shipped off to the Kansas City Chiefs, one of the big offseason storylines for Jim Harbaugh's club is who they'll have working as Kaepernick's backup this fall.

The only other QB currently on the roster is Scott Tolzien. But they may have an addition in mind: via USA Today, Harbaugh has spoken with former Dolphins second-round pick Pat White, and White confirmed to the paper that he'll be flown out for a workout. White has been working with famed QB coach George Whitfield in an attempt to resurrect his NFL career.

Another possibility for San Francisco is making an addition at QB via the draft. Though the prevailing consensus on this year's crop has been that there isn't a player in the mix who could step in and start from Day One, the Niners don't need a player like that -- they need an understudy to Kaepernick, and one of the members of the QB class of 2013 could fit the bill.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nnamdi Asomugha - DB - Free Agent

CSN Bay Area expects free agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha to compete with Carlos Rogers if he's signed by the 49ers.

Asomugha is reportedly "torn" between the 49ers and Saints, and this is surely a factor. Rogers took a big step back last season, but had a better year than Asomugha. If the money is close to equal, Asomugha would likely be better off reuniting with DC Rob Ryan in New Orleans. If Rogers was reduced to competing for his starting job, he'd almost certainly be asked to cut his $5.5 million salary. Related: Saints, 49ers, Carlos Rogers
Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Mar 26 - 1:54 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andre Smith - T - Bengals

The Cincinnati Enquirer still expects the Bengals to re-sign free agent RT Andre Smith.

Beat writer Joe Reedy believes a four-year pact worth roughly $26.5 million with $7-$8 million in guarantees would be "best for both parties." That would be less guaranteed money than Sebastian Vollmer settled for in New England, but a much bigger base value. Smith has yet to even make a visit since the start of free agency. It's hard to see him escaping the Queen City.
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Mar 26 - 2:14 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Darrius Heyward-Bey visiting Lions Wednesday

Free agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey will visit the Lions Wednesday.

This is an intriguing fit for Heyward-Bey. The Lions are desperate for wideout help thanks to Ryan Broyles' torn ACL and Titus Young's meltdown. They also need a true burner that can take the top off the defense and pull some attention off Calvin Johnson. Heyward-Bey doesn't have great hands and isn't a polished route-runner, but he can certainly fly. The former No. 7 overall pick ran a 4.30 at the 2009 combine, the fastest time in his class.
Source: Detroit Free Press

Mar 26 - 8:24 AM

This is not good. I don't want to see Megatron & DHB on the same team.

I wish the Niners were interested. :(

santiagodjs

Yahoo! Refugee / Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com reports free agent Dwight Freeney is seeking $6 million per season.

"Per NFL Network's Michelle Beisner, Freeney is "not rushing to get a deal done as long as he gets $6 million." Freeney is wisely seeking less than what Elvis Dumervil got, but is still going to have a hard time getting $6 million in a pass-rushing market that's all but collapsed. Freeney turned 33 in February, and his sack totals have slipped three years running."

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

I want some of what he's smoking. This year's free agency market has been pretty bad for older veterans and even worse for pass-rushers. If he does get that, it'll be the Broncos IMO.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

The Raiders will release veteran DL Tommy Kelly Wednesday. Would expect him to draw some interest pretty quickly

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
NFL.com reports free agent Dwight Freeney is seeking $6 million per season.

Wow. Screw that. Especially the "per." I think it would be crazy to sign him to a multi-year deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
ESPN is reporting Carson Palmer probably won't re-structure his 13 million dollar salary (and why would he?), so it's pretty realistic that he'll be cut.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting Carson Palmer probably won't re-structure his 13 million dollar salary (and why would he?), so it's pretty realistic that he'll be cut.

I feel as if he will retire if that is the case. If not i think the Jets, Bills, Jags, and Cardinals should draw interest.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I feel as if he will retire if that is the case. If not i think the Jets, Bills, Jags, and Cardinals should draw interest.

I retirement is the alternative, I don't see why he wouldn't just re-structure. Otherwise, he should just retire anyway.

I wonder how Palmer would've done with a franchise that isn't completely inept. The Bengals & Raiders is a serious whammy.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I retirement is the alternative, I don't see why he wouldn't just re-structure. Otherwise, he should just retire anyway.

I wonder how Palmer would've done with a franchise that isn't completely inept. The Bengals & Raiders is a serious whammy.

Agreed. He easily had the most talent out of the large crop of QB's drafted out of USC in recent memory. His attitude has also been an issue for a while.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Agreed. He easily had the most talent out of the large crop of QB's drafted out of USC in recent memory. His attitude has also been an issue for a while.

I wonder if he would've had a better attitude with a franchise that wasn't like a black hole for morale & good coaching (no pun intended) like Oakland, Cinci', Dertoit & Buffalo. Especially Oakland.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer to the Browns makes pretty perfect sense. I would expect to see him there if released, Jason Campbell or no. That would allow the Browns to draft a big arm QB like Bray or Manuel and allow them to sit a year or two.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Palmer to the Browns makes pretty perfect sense. I would expect to see him there if released, Jason Campbell or no.

Speaking of inept franchises. :) I can't believe I forgot them.

Ohio - Very important historically in Presidential elections; not so much in NFL football.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would be a good match for him. He never worked directly with Turner but he played his best while in that offensive system. It would be a no brainer for him, especially since they have some talent there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it would be a good match for him. He never worked directly with Turner but he played his best while in that offensive system. It would be a no brainer for him, especially since they have some talent there.

Yeah, they've got some players over there (at least on offense). I've always been a huge Greg Little fan.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio - Very important historically in Presidential elections; not so much in NFL football.

Don't be surprised to see Cleveland on the rise. I really like the direction they are headed. They have one of the better OC and DC tandems in the league right now. If Norv can either mold Weeden, a draft pick, or a FA then they can do some damage. They have two of the better Offensive linemen in Alex Mack and Joe Thomas as well as a pretty good Defense.