• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm lukewarm on Idonije. We've got so many picks, and the draft is so deep at DL. Let's get some young players in there and start grooming them. Otherwise we're looking for the quick fix every couple years.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lukewarm on Idonije. We've got so many picks, and the draft is so deep at DL. Let's get some young players in there and start grooming them. Otherwise we're looking for the quick fix every couple years.

There isn't a backup at any position in our entire front 7 that I feel can't be bumped off the roster. We could use a rookie and a Vet at 34DE/43DT.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There isn't a backup at any position in our entire front 7 that I feel can't be bumped off the roster. We could use a rookie and a Vet at 34DE/43DT.

Yeah, that's fair, especially on the DL (I like Haralson as a backup on early downs). We could have an entirely new batch of backups along the DL at this point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

is Ian Williams considered a back-up with Dorsey at NT?

Dobbs had a great pre-season at DE, is he "expendable"?

just asking..........................

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What has Ian Williams shown you that says he can't be bumped off the roster or further down the depth chart?

Dobbs is a guy everyone roots for because he would be a something out of nothing player. He could be the fourth string TE for all we know. Clearly not a guy who can't be beaten out for a job. How productive were the careers of all the RBs that we had that put up great pre-seasons? You do realize Dobbs is coming off an injury and DUI as well right?

If Baalke went in to the draft or finished up free agency thinking these two guys prevent him from adding to those positions then he has failed us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Williams is almost certainly considered a backup right now. He and Dorsey are probably both versatile to move outside once in awhile, but not regularly in a pass-heavy league. I'd like to think Dobbs and Tukuafu have a shot to show something, but if we can upgrade those spots, we should absolutely do it.

At this point, with good but aging front-line starters (J. Smith), I'd rather take a short-term hit in productivity by adding/keeping a younger player with more upside.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What has Ian Williams shown you that says he can't be bumped off the roster or further down the depth chart?

Dobbs is a guy everyone roots for because he would be a something out of nothing player. He could be the fourth string TE for all we know. Clearly not a guy who can't be beaten out for a job. How productive were the careers of all the RBs that we had that put up great pre-seasons? You do realize Dobbs is coming off an injury and DUI as well right?

If Baalke went in to the draft or finished up free agency thinking these two guys prevent him from adding to those positions then he has failed us.

Prevent us from adding more talent? No. Prevent us from adding older FAs? Maybe. If it's a question of Idonije actually seeing the field vs. Dobbs sitting on the sideline, for instance, then go with the vet. But we need an injection of youth along the DL, and there are only so many roster spots.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also need instant productivity from the bench so we don't repeat last seasons passrush decline.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hold on... the RAVENS are after Dumervil?

The Niners need to hurry their asses up & sign that guy. Keep him off of 2 of the best teams in the AFC.

Chris Mortensen says he doesn't think he'll get 8 million a season from ANY team. I would pay 8 million for him in a second. That would push the Niners' defense back to the best in the league IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We also need instant productivity from the bench so we don't repeat last seasons passrush decline.

I don't disagree. Simply having a healthy Haralson should help the pass rush as he'll give Brooks and Smith a rest. But we need some young players to step up and get in there, whether they're some of the young vets or draft picks.

As said, if Fangio will play Idonije but wouldn't play a younger player, then we should go after Idonije. But we're in a position to actually add some players who can contribute immediately this year in the draft, and I'd like to see them go that route.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't get the interest in Idonije. If the Niners want a pass-rushing DE to come in off teh bench who's that old, why not go after Dwight Freeney instead? Neither one of them could be all that expensive.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeney can't play DT when we go four down and Freeney can't play DE when we go 3 up front. We need a player that we know can produce pass rush immediately and rotate through the multiple positions that Ray Mac and Justin play. This is not a long term signing, this is plugging a hole for a Super Bowl run and would in no way prevent a youngster from being groomed.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shane Lechler signed with the Texans tonight. They tried signing him 4 years ago when his deal was up but didn't get him. Not bad for them. He had a down year this past season but prior to that I think many know that he was one of the best in the game, if not the best in the game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You have a point, but there is a gluttony of talented inside players in the draft, whereas there aren't as many pass-rushers of Freeney's caliber (even at his age). If the money is close to equal, I'd rather go after the guy who can just play DE or OLB on passing downs & depend on the draft to find an inside guy.

John Abraham could play inside on passing downs IMO, but he'd be more expensive.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Abraham in addition to Israel. Abe could rotate with Brooks and Aldon and I feel he has more in his tank than Freeney.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem the Niners have under 5 million in Salary cap and need to sign their draft picks... Dumervil, Abraham are all pipe dreams unless the Niners cut or restructure. And even then 5 million is a little on the light side to sign a normal amount of draft picks not the 14 the niners could potentially draft. And while Dumervil is a good player I like the way the Niners have been selective in FA and building through the draft. Go younger, better and cheaper.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like Abraham in addition to Israel. Abe could rotate with Brooks and Aldon and I feel he has more in his tank than Freeney.

Two FA vets in the front-seven? Not only would that hurt us in terms of what should be some good comp picks next year, but we'd lose roster space for our young players. How many DEs/OLBs do we keep? Eight, maybe nine. So in this scenario we'd have McDonald, Smith, Idonije, and let's say a draft pick at DE. That's three players who are 29+ as of September. Similarly, at OLB we'd then have Smith, Brooks, Abraham, and either Haralson or a rookie. The age thing isn't as bad as Aldon is still quite young, but it's not good, either.

The major issue I have with adding two older players is the fairly tight roster limits. We have 53 guys on the active roster. We barely have room for more than five or six draft picks as it is. This year needs to be the year we start seriously building toward the future. That doesn't mean giving up on this season by any means, but we have a chance to use this draft to create a strong roster for years to come. Adding too much in older FAs prevents us from doing so. I'd much rather go young - with some higher draft picks, not necessarily the UDFAs or later picks we've been using as backups - at positions where we already have strong starters.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Two FA vets in the front-seven? Not only would that hurt us in terms of what should be some good comp picks next year, but we'd lose roster space for our young players. How many DEs/OLBs do we keep? Eight, maybe nine. So in this scenario we'd have McDonald, Smith, Idonije, and let's say a draft pick at DE. That's three players who are 29+ as of September. Similarly, at OLB we'd then have Smith, Brooks, Abraham, and either Haralson or a rookie. The age thing isn't as bad as Aldon is still quite young, but it's not good, either.

The major issue I have with adding two older players is the fairly tight roster limits. We have 53 guys on the active roster. We barely have room for more than five or six draft picks as it is. This year needs to be the year we start seriously building toward the future. That doesn't mean giving up on this season by any means, but we have a chance to use this draft to create a strong roster for years to come. Adding too much in older FAs prevents us from doing so. I'd much rather go young - with some higher draft picks, not necessarily the UDFAs or later picks we've been using as backups - at positions where we already have strong starters.

Just remembered Abraham was cut, so he wouldn't affect our comp picks.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Klis:

Elvis Dumervil to wait at least one more day before deciding between #Broncos and #Ravens.