• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Seahawks CB Brandon Browner tweeted he has been reinstated by NFL. Now makes him the newest free-agent CB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Part of me wants to acquire him, despite the fact that he has lost more than one step and also he would only play special teams for us. I'm just sick and tired of seeing Kyle Williams/LMJ back there returning punts. Roster is going to be tight next year (Tank, Lattimore, etc.) so we can't afford of carrying players who rarely gets PT on offense such as Osgood and Hester:

Devin Hester - WR - Bears

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Devin Hester is as good as gone from Chicago.

Hester has been with Chicago since 2006. There are rumblings Hester may be reunited with former coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay, but Rapoport does not see it happening. Hester was used as a strict return man in 2013, finishing fifth in kick-return average at 27.7 yards per return.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 4 - 7:42 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few people wanted him instead of Patrick Willis :L

Adam Carriker - DL - Free Agent

Redskins released DE Adam Carriker.

This move was fully expected and saves the Redskins $2.989 million against the cap. Carriker is still working his way back from three surgeries on his right quad that have caused him to miss the past 30 games. Carriker, the 13th overall pick by the Rams in 2007, admits he's not yet 100 percent but expects to be ready for training camp. He'll have to prove he's healthy before landing a deal.

Mar 4 - 3:32 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I forgot about Hester.

If the Bears cut him & the Niners signed him, he wouldn't affect the comp' pick formula.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few people wanted him instead of Patrick Willis :L

Adam Carriker - DL - Free Agent

Redskins released DE Adam Carriker.

This move was fully expected and saves the Redskins $2.989 million against the cap. Carriker is still working his way back from three surgeries on his right quad that have caused him to miss the past 30 games. Carriker, the 13th overall pick by the Rams in 2007, admits he's not yet 100 percent but expects to be ready for training camp. He'll have to prove he's healthy before landing a deal.

Mar 4 - 3:32 PM

I loved him as a prospect, I wanted to get him and either Beason or Harris. I'm more than happy with the direction we went in. Carriker can't stay healthy to save his life.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me wants to acquire him, despite the fact that he has lost more than one step and also he would only play special teams for us. I'm just sick and tired of seeing Kyle Williams/LMJ back there returning punts. Roster is going to be tight next year (Tank, Lattimore, etc.) so we can't afford of carrying players who rarely gets PT on offense such as Osgood and Hester:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Devin Hester is as good as gone from Chicago.

Hester has been with Chicago since 2006. There are rumblings Hester may be reunited with former coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay, but Rapoport does not see it happening. Hester was used as a strict return man in 2013, finishing fifth in kick-return average at 27.7 yards per return.

Mar 4 - 7:42 PM

No thanks, he's a shell of his old self

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just categorically against Hester under any circumstances?

You're that cool with Lamichael James?

Lol it's not an either Hester or LMJ situation, those aren't the only two kick returners. Everyone knows that I think James is a waste of a roster spot but Hester isn't the answer either, he just isn't close to what he once was and honestly isn't a huge threat anymore.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always been nervous when Williams/LMJ field kicks.

Mar 4 - 7:42 PM[/QUOTE

In the championship game when LMJ was hit illegally and fumbled when I replayed the catch you could see he would have muffed the punt if it weren't for the penalty......

When Ginn fielded kicks I was never nervous and if they were to bring in Hester it would at least calm the nerves of the natives on kicks.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JasonLaCanfora: Several teams trying to retain CBs before they hit the market. 49ers making a push to sign Tarell Brown prior to March 11

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JasonLaCanfora: NFL and NFLPA announce as part of Brandon Browner's reinstatement, he must sit out 1st 4 games of 2014, and also misses 4 more paychecks

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Devon Hester idea.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'll take just about anyone over Lamichael James returning kicks. Hester, Ginn, ODB, Dri Archer, Trindon Holliday if it wouldn't take too high a pick to sign him (I think he's a RFA).

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Devon Hester idea.

Me too, depending on how much he costs.

I haven't seen much of him lately but his stats were pretty good last year. Even if he is a shell of his former self he was so transcendent that I have to think that he's still better than most returners who are their full present selves.

What am I missing about the quality of his play in recent years?

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, depending on how much he costs.

I haven't seen much of him lately but his stats were pretty good last year. Even if he is a shell of his former self he was so transcendent that I have to think that he's still better than most returners who are their full present selves.

What am I missing about the quality of his play in recent years?

Hester may be too expensive but the underrated part of a kick returner is the confidence that there won't be a disaster waiting to happen.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take just about anyone over Lamichael James returning kicks. Hester, Ginn, ODB, Dri Archer, Trindon Holliday if it wouldn't take too high a pick to sign him (I think he's a RFA).

Dri Archer certainly interests me

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@JasonLaCanfora: Several teams trying to retain CBs before they hit the market. 49ers making a push to sign Tarell Brown prior to March 11

Interesting. I like Brown more than many, but I can't see the team offering him all that much more than we did last time we tried to extend him. It's a good CB class in the draft, and he's not a difference maker. Even if we retain him, I'd like to add a CB relatively high in the draft.